Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T1 Partially Evacuated (20 March, 2011)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver

No more details apart from the banner on BAA Heathrow webpage.

Probably another numpty leaving a suitcase unattended
Old Mar 20, 2011, 7:28 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
BAA on Twitter:

Hi - there was an evacuation of Terminal 1 earlier, but it has just been lifted and there has been no impact on flights.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Genius1
No more details apart from the banner on BAA Heathrow webpage.

Probably another numpty leaving a suitcase unattended
Reminds me of transiting through LHR a few years ago when the fire alarm went off. Half of the pax ran to the emergency exits while the rest remained on their seats as if nothing had happened. Another pax told me "the alarm has been going off every hour, no need to get up", I wasn´t too amused after 20h of travelling...
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I was there too when the fire alarm went off. Didn't move though...
Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:09 pm

Why did you not move? How did you know it was a false alarm?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:36 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G
Whilst working, many years ago, at MAN (when T3 was the domestic terminal), the fire alarm went off.

We had to shoo, cajole and bully passengers to evacuate the terminal, a full minute into the alarm (with no sign of it being false).

In the corner (where now there's a walkway down to the domestic gates and the DC lounge), there was a large crowd gathering at the emergency exit stairs down onto the apron. It turned out some guy had decided to take this trolley (with various bags on it) with him, and got it stuck on the stairs, blocking the way for everyone.

Meanwhile, out on the apron (onto which the emergency exit opened), there were some fairly concerned ground handlers shoo-ing passengers away from the props on the ATPs taxi-ing around.

So in short - passengers and fire alarms are never a good mix. Ever.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:35 am

Programs: BD *G, ICHG Plat,MR GOLD,HH Gold
T1 was partly evacuated Sunday Morning due to an alert in the airside pax area.
The public areas evacuation alert was activated both air and land side and these areas cleared.

The incident was not fire related but emergency services attended due to the nature of the incident.!

The evacuation signal and the fire alarm do sound very similar but there are differences to allow staff to respond accordingly.

My lips are sealed !!!!
Old Mar 21, 2011, 4:37 am

Programs: BA: GOLD, MARRIOTT: TITANIUM, IHG: PLAT, HILTON: GOLD
Originally Posted by AIRBUS215
The public areas evacuation alert was activated both air and land side and these areas cleared.

The incident was not fire related but emergency services attended due to the nature of the incident.!

The evacuation signal and the fire alarm do sound very similar but there are differences to allow staff to respond accordingly.

My lips are sealed !!!!
You can't leave it like that, tell all.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AIRBUS215

My lips are sealed !!!!
Porridge heater exploded in London Room?
Old Mar 21, 2011, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, A3
We came through LHR yesterday.
When we got to the point in T1 where you turn left to have your bar code scanned we were ushered right where it's signed Gate 2 and still have the bar code in our passports. (so are we technically still there I wonder?)
We sat for 90 minutes extra in the lounge so flights were affected. Until I asked the staff in the lounge we were told nothing. Then they said that the crews were stuck on the wrong side and couldn't get through. We certainly weren't given any notice to move and heard no alarm.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, it seems the incident was caused due to a suspected bomb.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Seems like this might be better in Travel Safety/Security.

I wonder will details ever get out — was it a fire or security evacuation? (Were people required to be re-screened to get back into the airport?)
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by hugolover
So, it seems the incident was caused due to a suspected bomb.
Nope. As I understand it, a 19-year-old man giving staff silly answers to sensible questions. But obviously needed to be checked out.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Nope. As I understand it, a 19-year-old man giving staff silly answers to sensible questions. But obviously needed to be checked out.
Well to the effect of the bomb. My source came directly from BD ops at LHR.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:03 pm

I was there flying back home that day and I've been trying to find any other details since. This is the first I've found. We got to Terminal 1 right as they evacuated everyone - staff and passengers. Police and firetrucks were all there with a dog-unit too. They weren't allowing any vehicles through so some people had to come in from Terminal 3. One of the staff said it was a bomb-scare and I did see they arrested somebody in a black trench coat. I was flying United and the staff did a great job making sure everyone could get to their flights on time as much as possible. Amazingly enough we made it to the plane on time.

Otherwise, I don't have any more details. Did people on the air-side have to evacuate? I find it very strange that there hasn't been ANY news on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.