Wiki Posts
Search

"Are you in a hurry?"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
"Are you in a hurry?"

Arrived in BHD late last night but had a thirty minute wait for my ride from the terminal. While mooching about the deserted check-in hall, I noticed a large A-frame sign at the head of the BMI check-in area. It read:

Are you in a hurry?

Would you like to earn £100 in cash or £200 in travel vouchers plus a guaranteed seat on the next flight? If so please advise a member of bmi staff when you check in.
Is this BD dealing with overbooked flights? I presume that if I saw this sign out late in the evening, it meant the last flight out of BHD was over sold, and people happy to wait until next morning were being solicited?

Just seemed to me as though the title for the placard was the wrong way round. If I am in a hurry, then I'm probably not going to be interested in being bumped....
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:46 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hmm, yes it should probably read "not in a hurry?"

I'd take that deal if I wasn't.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
With the reduction in service to as little as four flights on weekends mixed with ERJ service, this is going to be a regular offer. I know bums in seats doesn't automatically mean profit but I can't remember the last time I was on a BHD-LHR-BHD flight, any time of day, any day of the week, that wasn't full.
Old Mar 7, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: BD *G
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
Arrived in BHD late last night but had a thirty minute wait for my ride from the terminal. While mooching about the deserted check-in hall, I noticed a large A-frame sign at the head of the BMI check-in area. It read:

Is this BD dealing with overbooked flights? I presume that if I saw this sign out late in the evening, it meant the last flight out of BHD was over sold, and people happy to wait until next morning were being solicited?

Just seemed to me as though the title for the placard was the wrong way round. If I am in a hurry, then I'm probably not going to be interested in being bumped....
I imagine it was pre-empting this morning's BD81. They upped it to £150/£300 in the end up. That flight is ALWAYS overbooked
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:02 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
While mooching about the deserted check-in hall, I noticed a large A-frame sign....
Just seemed to me as though the title for the placard was the wrong way round.
Made you look though didn't it!

Originally Posted by Tino04
I imagine it was pre-empting this morning's BD81. They upped it to £150/£300 in the end up. That flight is ALWAYS overbooked
So, that's a good flight to book if you aren't in a hurry and fancy chancing a discount?
Old Mar 7, 2011, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by jbfield
Made you look though didn't it!

So, that's a good flight to book if you aren't in a hurry and fancy chancing a discount?
Absolutely, if I leave it beyond Wednesday booking the following weeks flight - it ends up being a catfight with the ICC to have revenue management release a seat. It can be infuriating at times.

If I didn't have to be in London at 09:00 on a Monday I'd be doing it every week
Old Mar 8, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by Tino04
So, book full Y ticket, get bumped, take cash, go home, get refund.

Not full, go home, get refund,

repeat...
Old Mar 8, 2011, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by LiviLion
So, book full Y ticket, get bumped, take cash, go home, get refund.

Not full, go home, get refund,

repeat...
I've just found a new business model I'll send you some royalties
Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Similarly if you ever want a free train ticket from Dublin to Belfast, watch out for the fairly regular substitution of non-Enterprise commuter train stock (via Translink or Íarnród Eireann's websites) and buy a first class ticket. IE will refund 100% of the fare if first class is unavailable on a RoI-originating service.
Old Mar 9, 2011, 1:03 am

Interesting way to earn some ££ , could even do a cheap mileage run
Old Mar 9, 2011, 2:46 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
/watches with some considerable interest/
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:11 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex BD*S)
I might go for a mileage run there ... Sounds like something for a student budget
Old Mar 9, 2011, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florian
I might go for a mileage run there ... Sounds like something for a student budget
Hmm. And here I am, a postgraduate student, sitting here in Belfast... Hmmm....
Old Mar 9, 2011, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
/watches with some considerable interest/
Grass
Old Mar 9, 2011, 6:27 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
No thanks, don't smoke, mate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.