FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   2011 Diamond Club Membership Cards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1190354-2011-diamond-club-membership-cards.html)

GoldCircle Mar 3, 2011 8:54 am

2011 Diamond Club Membership Cards

A little birdy has told me that the artwork for the Black membership cards have been slightly revised on foot of our feedback here on the FT bmi board - and the following modifications have been made:

• New bmi British Midland International logo on the front of the card
  • Star Alliance Gold/Silver logo will be slightly LARGER

Blue and Silver cards will begin to issue for renewals/downgrades from next week, though the Gold cards won't be available for a while yet (so, there's no point ordering a new one, right now!). Said little birdy has specifically asked for there not to be a rush of poeple reordering cards. I don't think there are too many blue members here, so nothing to worry about! If the 6 Silver members could just restrain themselves? ;)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...78-dc-card.gif

This is really excellent news, as using the old variant has proved to be a serious hassle on occasion, where lounge dragon, or queue matrons simply don't recognise the card - and the lack of airline livery left them adamant that the card wasn't good for entry. I've had hassle in Africa, the Middle-East and even in America from LH... :rolleyes: :D

Well done Diamond Club! ^

Kevincm Mar 3, 2011 9:00 am

Ooh. Cute. And it's got the airline on the front too ^

This one day after I ordered my replacement Gold Card...

David-A Mar 3, 2011 9:25 am

Originally Posted by GoldCircle (Post 15967912)
I've had hassle ... even in America from LH... :rolleyes: :D

Never mind America, I've had hasstle from LH in TXL!
Oh, and LX in ZRH!

Jetstreamer Mar 3, 2011 9:59 am

I like the new design. I always found it very strange how the star alliance gold logo wasn't bigger as it is not particularly easy to make out and putting the airline logo on the front is just common sense.

I'm going to struggle to retain gold this year but this almost makes me want to go and do a few mileage runs!

starflyergold Mar 3, 2011 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by David-A (Post 15968159)
and LX in ZRH!

Indeed, LX seemed very puzzled but relented eventually

teflon Mar 3, 2011 7:11 pm

Ah, what a sensible idea!

My girlfriend's blue downgrade arrived this morning, and was old-style. (It also had an offer in the box to upgrade back to silver for £150)

markdg Mar 4, 2011 1:54 am

. I don't think there are too many blue members here, so nothing to worry about! If the 6 Silver members could just restrain themselves? ;)

Oi - that's not fair - just because I've not been in the sky enough to make it to even silver this year :eek: :)

DELLAS Mar 4, 2011 2:06 am

Originally Posted by David-A (Post 15968159)
Never mind America, I've had hasstle from LH in TXL!
Oh, and LX in ZRH!

Indeed only last week did the lounge agent look at it , put her glasses on and studied for a bit then said ''Oh British Midland'' and waved me through. Glad the Star logo will be bigger. Finally we are starting to get results. ^

colmc Mar 4, 2011 2:28 am

A definite improvement!

kt74 Mar 9, 2011 4:40 pm

Gold cards won't be available for a while yet

I can confirm that the one year I wouldn't mind it taking a couple of months to get my new gold card, I have actually received a new one within days of my DC year end (within 7 days to be precise - a record, methinks)

...and it is the old, squinty, are-you-absolutely-sure-you're-in-Star-Alliance design

inasmuchas Mar 11, 2011 5:08 am

Having failed to requalify for DC Gold, I today received my membership pack containing my 'new' Silver card. Old style card with no airline branding ;)

heramato Mar 11, 2011 7:51 am

I've requalified for GOLD on feb 4th (my DC year expired on the 10th)
Im still waiting for my new card :confused:

Jetstreamer Mar 24, 2011 7:53 am

Just wondering, anyone actually got their hands on a new-look card yet?

Tino04 Mar 24, 2011 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer (Post 16092762)

Mine was ordered on the 16th so it should be here at the weekend or early next week - will post back then

BA6501 Mar 24, 2011 8:17 am

A family member just received their new Silver card today - old style.

Tino04 Mar 28, 2011 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Tino04 (Post 16092855)
Mine was ordered on the 16th so it should be here at the weekend or early next week - will post back then

Saturday Morning, my gold pack arrived - old style

layz Mar 28, 2011 8:34 am

Even better if you find a lounge dragon with poor eyesight they may think that the bmi logo is the oneworld logo and you can get lounge access flying BA ;)

G_G Mar 28, 2011 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Tino04 (Post 16113872)
Saturday Morning, my gold pack arrived - old style

Is it a renewal pack ?

denCSA Mar 28, 2011 10:48 am

I can see the CO dragon's response now:

I'm sorry sir, we are not apart of ONEWORLD, so you will not be allowed access
I then proceed to cover up BMI's hideous logo with my thumb,

Oh.... NOW I see the *G Logo!
:rolleyes: I absolutely despise that new logo :rolleyes:

Tino04 Mar 28, 2011 11:26 am

Originally Posted by G_G (Post 16115437)
Is it a renewal pack ?

No, I've only recently qualified from Silver

stifle Mar 30, 2011 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer (Post 16092762)

I have a silver one. It's my first ever airline status of any kind, so I'm not in a position to compare it to a previous version :)

orudge Jun 18, 2011 4:16 am

Digging up a slightly older topic, but has anybody had a new-style Gold card yet? My 2011-2012 gold card was issued recently, but it's still the old style, in my experience requiring you to generally point out "yes, it's British Midland, they're a Star member" if you're anywhere vaguely exotic!

NWIFlyer Jun 18, 2011 6:40 am

Originally Posted by orudge (Post 16582544)
in my experience requiring you to generally point out "yes, it's British Midland, they're a Star member" if you're anywhere vaguely exotic!

Or, in my case, the GBL on Tuesday morning where the lounge dragon had just launched into a "I'm sorry Sir, but ..." routine when she finally got round to noticing the card was Gold :td:. If BMI's own staff don't now recognise the current card, what chance have we got when the new one arrives?

anothersuitcase Jun 18, 2011 12:08 pm

Just recieved new gold card, or rather "old" gold card for 2011. Nothing's changed!

GoldCircle Jun 18, 2011 1:49 pm

My guess is that the majority of Golds in the past were regulars on domestic, primarily. With the near total dismantling of the domestic and near-Europe routes, and the obliteration of business timings on DUB and elsewhere, there are probably considerably fewer Golds than last year.

And so the supply of new-style cards has probably lasted far longer than anticipated.

mattk Jun 19, 2011 2:23 am

Originally Posted by anothersuitcase (Post 16584165)
Just recieved new gold card, or rather "old" gold card for 2011. Nothing's changed!

Same here. Good to see they've not changed the expiry date format, not. Mine says 06/12 which for those of you travelling in the US means it expired a week ago. Printing those extra numbers, presumably in gold leaf (after all it's a gold card), costs money.

G_G Jun 19, 2011 11:02 am

Originally Posted by anothersuitcase (Post 16584165)

same here : it seems I'll never see the new one :(

Roger Jun 19, 2011 11:11 am

Originally Posted by mattk (Post 16586871)
Mine says 06/12 which for those of you travelling in the US means it expired a week ago.

No, 06/12 on the card doesn't mean 6 December, nor June 12. It means (end of) June 2012.

Same as on credit and debit cards, even in the US.

TPJ Jun 19, 2011 11:12 am

• New bmi British Midland International logo on the front of the card
  • Star Alliance Gold/Silver logo will be slightly LARGER

So, after 2 years - when all Lounge Reps from all *A Lounges throughout the world finally learned that we can access all *A Gold Lounges, despite the fact that there is no reference to the issuing airline on the card, they will finally add BD name and logo to the card:D:p

PS. OK - I was a bid sarcastic - but it is a good move! We DO appreciate it!

henry999 Jun 19, 2011 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
...the fact that there is no reference to the issuing airline on the card...

???

You may have a defective card. Is it only one-sided? Mine has bmi clearly printed on the back in larger letters than Diamond Club appears on the front. (Card issued last November, expires 12/11.)

cheers,

Henry

mattk Jun 19, 2011 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 16588434)
No, 06/12 on the card doesn't mean 6 December, nor June 12. It means (end of) June 2012.

Same as on credit and debit cards, even in the US.

I agree, but it's been called out before for me and others before here.

FlyingOnceMore Jun 19, 2011 3:19 pm

I've seen three new Silver cards that were issued in the last month belonging to members who have just requalified or been downgraded from Gold and all are of the old design. I don't know anyone of any status level who's got one of the new cards yet.

Roger Jun 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by mattk (Post 16586871)
Mine says 06/12 which for those of you travelling in the US means it expired a week ago.

Originally Posted by mattk (Post 16589411)
I agree, but it's been called out before for me and others before here.

Are you seriously suggesting that a lounge person or check-in person believes expiry dates consist of month and day but not year? :confused:

The /12 bit clearly refers to the year.

mattk Jun 20, 2011 1:04 am

Originally Posted by Roger (Post 16589677)
Are you seriously suggesting that a lounge person or check-in person believes expiry dates consist of month and day but not year? :confused:

The /12 bit clearly refers to the year.

Yup, had that called on me at FRA of all places about 18 months ago. They caved in quickly, though she was suspicious...

TPJ Jun 20, 2011 3:38 am

Originally Posted by henry999 (Post 16589264)
???

You may have a defective card. Is it only one-sided? Mine has bmi clearly printed on the back in larger letters than Diamond Club appears on the front. (Card issued last November, expires 12/11.)

cheers,

Henry

Mine has BMI on the back as well... Not all Lounge Reps are smart enough to check on the back...

henry999 Jun 20, 2011 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by TPJ
Mine has BMI on the back as well

Erm ... then why would you say

...the fact that there is no reference to the issuing airline on the card...

???

cheers,

Henry

fulhamish Jul 4, 2011 6:31 am

Just got my new Gold card after qualifying for the first time.
It's still the old design.

treadsoftly Jul 4, 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by fulhamish (Post 16668763)
Just got my new Gold card after qualifying for the first time.
It's still the old design.

Same - 5th time qualified, just received *G card of old design

EsherFlyer Aug 18, 2011 1:18 am

I lost track here: did anyone ever get the newer 'black with blue logo on front' design referenced above?

DELLAS Aug 18, 2011 2:43 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer (Post 16945063)
I lost track here: did anyone ever get the newer 'black with blue logo on front' design referenced above?

Got my card last week and still old design. ;)