Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Protests in Cairo and planned trip!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protests in Cairo and planned trip!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If BA have suspended ops then BD can't be far away. Its a bit odd as Hague was on this evening advising against all non-essential travel to Cairo and I see an update on Twitter saying ops are unaffected.

Is CAI a nightstop? I'm surprised BD security have not suspended ops already or changed the schedule to avoid a night stop.

OT: I agree with the above CAI is OK to go and see the pyramids and that's it. I never will forget the trays of bread on a motorcyclists head as he sped through the traffic.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 4:46 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
BA flights are a nightstop whereas BD do a turnaround.
Originally Posted by hugolover
I never will forget the trays of bread on a motorcyclists head as he sped through the traffic.
Is that a critisim or a compliment?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:14 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoY
I don't blame you, really I don't. You have peace of mind when travelling IMHO, or at least as much as is practical when away from the familiarity of home. Frankly, IME, Cairo is a dump. A hole. We visited last year & if it wasn't for a long-held desire of mine to see the pyramids & the egyptian museum, then Ms NoY would never had agreed to come. We only stayed for the minimum of time to get done what we needed and got out. This was last April/may IRRC. Apart from the aforementioned attractions I cannot think of a single redeming feature of the place & would NEVER return. Each to his/her own of course, but them's my twopence worth! Please let us know where you decide to go.....perhaps we can find positives about that!!
I have spoken to ‘Bryan’ who is the chap at the DC. He said that he was not able to cancel my booking without incurring any charges. Bryan states BMI flights are still operating and that as far as they are concerned there are no updates from HQ. I did point out the update on the FCO website (and he even had a look at it) but nothing changes.

The problem I’ve got is that we’ve made to separate bookings so there will be a 50GPS charge for each. The other thing is that MrsSgtRyan and myself are both off from work and want to go away somewhere, so don’t really want to pay 50 if we don’t have to….

Oh well…..
Old Jan 29, 2011, 3:34 am

Well, flight status says this mornings flight, BD0771 did depart.
Meanwhile the FCO advises against travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez (but not Egypt in general, e.g. transit flights).

If the FCO advises against this, then will your travel insurance cover your cancellation fees?
As the FCO advice is now to avoid, if you went now your travel insurance wouldn't cover you for any problem you encouter, so surely they would cover your trip abandoment costs?

Last edited by jbfield; Jan 29, 2011 at 3:47 am
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So LH canx and BD operate. How odd! Meanwhile both the FCO and the Auslandsamt advise against all non-essential travel to CAI.

It will be interesting to see the load. Empty out and full back perhaps.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Wny would the flight out be empty? I'm sure BD carry passengers from LHR who actually want to get to Egypt. You know...Egyptians.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 4:45 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbfield
Well, flight status says this mornings flight, BD0771 did depart.
Meanwhile the FCO advises against travel to Cairo, Alexandria, Luxor and Suez (but not Egypt in general, e.g. transit flights).

If the FCO advises against this, then will your travel insurance cover your cancellation fees?
As the FCO advice is now to avoid, if you went now your travel insurance wouldn't cover you for any problem you encouter, so surely they would cover your trip abandoment costs?
To be honest I didnt think of travel insurance, Ill have to give them a bell...however, if the British Government are telling people not to go, then surely you shouldnt need to go through travel insurance to get a refund???
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by SgtRyan
To be honest I didnt think of travel insurance, Ill have to give them a bell
I'd be interested to know if your travel insurance covers this. I had a quick look at my own and then some from a few big underwriters and they all seem to exclude cover due to uprisings/riots etc.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Justruss
Please, unplan this trip. Even after the insurrection is finished, Egypt will be unstable for years.
Who says?

What are you basing this 'forecast' on?
Old Jan 29, 2011, 5:45 am

Programs: Delta, KLM, Luftansa
Originally Posted by camsean
Who says?

What are you basing this 'forecast' on?
Egypt has only ever been marginally stable. Try thinking ahead (and back) a little. Try to tally the numbers of tourists who have been slaughtered. Think about the crushing unemployment, almost non-existent infrastructure, and incredible corruption. Just the traffic alone is daunting.

Now, add a revolution to the mix and the probability the Muslim Brotherhood will partially fill much of the resulting political vacuum following the revolution.

It's not as if I've never been to Egypt. It's always been a crap hole.

Last edited by Justruss; Jan 29, 2011 at 6:03 am
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:17 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by SgtRyan
I have spoken to ‘Bryan’ who is the chap at the DC. He said that he was not able to cancel my booking without incurring any charges. Bryan states BMI flights are still operating and that as far as they are concerned there are no updates from HQ. I did point out the update on the FCO website (and he even had a look at it) but nothing changes.

The problem I’ve got is that we’ve made to separate bookings so there will be a 50GPS charge for each. The other thing is that MrsSgtRyan and myself are both off from work and want to go away somewhere, so don’t really want to pay 50 if we don’t have to….

Oh well…..
TBH, for 50GBP/ea I wouldn't blink to cancel & go somewhere else/nicer/safer! Hope it works out for you.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 6:50 am

Flight status no longer lists today's flight to Cairo (works for tomorrow's though).

If you search by flight number it lists it as LHR to LHR with an arrival time of 14:10 (originally 16:10 local time).
I wonder if it's been diverted or if it's just the website?

Last edited by jbfield; Jan 29, 2011 at 7:00 am
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:00 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Best advice any of us can offer is what we would personally do in your position given we all have different tolerance levels for the ".... happens" things in life and the resultant period we can practice patience or "wait and see" before pulling the plug. Bangkok Airport 2008 was my last experience of foot tapping.

If it was me booked to Cairo, I'd be giving it until T-7, maybe even T-5 before cancelling as that gives me at least a couple days to find something else before the T-3 award booking deadline. I might even go ahead and book something else as a backup now, presuming you have the miles to do so, accepting the £50, piece of mind charge if you will, it'll cost me to cancel if Cairo turns out to be a go.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Jan 29, 2011 at 7:47 am Reason: Oxon'd again!
Old Jan 29, 2011, 7:37 am

Programs: Diamond Club, Krisflyer, BA Exec
BD771 turns around BD772 cancelled

latest reports are that BD771 has turned around and is heading back to LHR.

BD772 subsequently been cancelled.
Old Jan 29, 2011, 8:40 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
From: http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/flig...-news.aspx#294

15:00

Flight BD772 from Cairo to London Heathrow has been cancelled, customers booked on this flight are advised not to travel to Cairo airport.

For customers on bmi flights to Cairo operating up to 31st January, customers may now rebook up for travel up to 31st March, please contact reservations on 0844 8484 888.
BBC News confirms that 771 has turned around, and 772 will not operate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.