FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Am I been fobbed off by the ICC? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1146016-am-i-been-fobbed-off-icc.html)

xcalx Nov 9, 2010 12:00 pm

Am I been fobbed off by the ICC?

Hi. I have an award booking PVR-IAH-LHR that involves a 1hr 06 min connection at IAH ( which I think is pushing it a bit ) yesterday I noticed availability showing for a next day, within 24hr IAH-LHR flight and tried to change to this flight but was told I could not change to the next day flight as the original flights are "married" ? is this the case or should I try again.

Regards

Cal

sofasurfer Nov 9, 2010 12:07 pm

There have been some reports of married segment restrictions on the rise.. try a quick search within this forum and you should get a feel for the situation.

ozon78 Nov 9, 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by xcalx (Post 15106438)
Hi. I have an award booking PVR-IAH-LHR that involves a 1hr 06 min connection at IAH ( which I think is pushing it a bit ) yesterday I noticed availability showing for a next day, within 24hr IAH-LHR flight and tried to change to this flight but was told I could not change to the next day flight as the original flights are "married" ? is this the case or should I try again.

Regards

Cal

Hi
I had a 'married segment' with a tight-ish connection that I wanted changed: despite availability on earlier flights, the ICC could not 'divorce' these segments (they tried but later phoned to confirm it was not possible).

Contacted the Pre-travel support team: sympathetic and understanding but alas - not able to do anything.

xcalx Nov 9, 2010 2:10 pm

I didn't think I could change the flights. I did try again with no luck. I posted on the CO forum enquiring about the tight connection and was advised to look at alternatives as the chances of making the LHR flight were slim. Anyone here with IAH connection experience. I didn't want the stress of a missed flight at the end of the holiday.

Cal

Swiss Tony Nov 9, 2010 3:06 pm

That's crazy.

Immigration at IAH isn't exactly speedy, both from my experience and what I've heard others say too. Once you've done that you'll have to get back through security (properly enforced, premium lines do exist) then get back to the gate.

Good luck!

rajsbasi Nov 10, 2010 11:37 am

IAH connections are pretty long in my experience and 1h 06 mins is pretty tight. That being said if you do end up missing the connection and they booked it in the first place then they better reaccomodate you!

EDIflyer Nov 10, 2010 12:51 pm

Similar situation here - EDI-LHR-FRA-EWR - spending almost 4h in LHR waiting for flight to FRA then 1h connection in FRA. This is despite there being a LHR-FRA flight after a 2h wait, so I'm going to be stuck in LHR seeing a flight depart that I could be on, and then having to potentially rush from mine to make the EWR flight (from what I've heard the LHR arrivals are often late). Doubly-frustrating as I'm flying in F with LH, so don't get to really enjoy the FCT!

Tried ICC, PTS, DC team - none had any luck making the change, apparently the LHR-FRA-EWR bit is a 'married segment' :(

Good luck at IAH xcalx!

henry999 Nov 10, 2010 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by xcalx
I have an award booking PVR-IAH-LHR that involves a 1hr 06 min connection at IAH ( which I think is pushing it a bit )...

Once again ... why can't the Yanks do international -> international airside transit like everybody else???

Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
Similar situation here - EDI-LHR-FRA-EWR - ... 1h connection in FRA.

At least it's non-Schengen to non-Schengen -- you've got a chance; although since it's America-bound it will be more complicated.

cheers,

Henry

YYZC2 Nov 10, 2010 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by henry999 (Post 15114885)
Once again ... why can't the Yanks do international -> international airside transit like everybody else??

Fear... the manufactured variety, but fear nonetheless. Same fear that abolished TWOV.

Guy Betsy Nov 10, 2010 7:06 pm

When BD cannot split married segments, it is not their fault. But airlines are using their CRS to try and control POS and marry segments.

henry999 Nov 10, 2010 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by henry999
Once again ... why can't the Yanks do international -> international airside transit like everybody else???

Originally Posted by YYZC2
Fear... the manufactured variety, but fear nonetheless. Same fear that abolished TWOV.

It was a rhetorical question. :)

Fear is no doubt part of it, perhaps a big part. But there is also that ... what are they calling it nowadays? oh, yes ... 'American exceptionalism'. In other words, they do what they want, simply because they can. :(

cheers,

Henry

Jetstreamer Nov 11, 2010 3:49 am

I did a connection UIO-IAH-EWR a few months ago with a 1:10 connection. The flight from UIO was 10 minutes late so I had 1 hour and I made the flight! The immigration hall was packed but they have a separate line for people with only hand luggage. I actually had checked bags but didn't realise what this line was for but just joined it anyway because I knew I'd miss my connection otherwise. I realised what the special line was for just as I got to the front so I flirted a little with the immigration officer and she let me use the line. Luggage was waiting for me which was quickly rechecked and then it was back through security (no queue) then a quick ride to terminal C. Made it just before boarding started.

It can be done but without cheating I definitely wouldn't have. If you've only got carry on you've got a good chance, otherwise it will be very difficult.

yw_a330 Nov 11, 2010 4:37 am

Originally Posted by henry999 (Post 15114885)

I remember a seeing a special immigration line in IAH for international - international transits. I can't remember what the rules were for using it. The normal queue took me near 2 hours to get through...

LonLH Nov 11, 2010 4:45 am

IAH immigration used to be slow (much better than many other US entry points, but slow). Don't think I ever had less than 30 mins except a few handful instances. They used to have a seperate lane for e-passports.
I have missed connections at ORD where I had 2 hour connections.
However, since you are flying on one PNR, CO might help you if you misconnect.

LonLH Nov 11, 2010 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy (Post 15116727)
When BD cannot split married segments, it is not their fault. But airlines are using their CRS to try and control POS and marry segments.

This married segment business has become ridiculous- I was trying to redeem DME-FRA-GRU. I can get DME-FRA on LH 1445 (the only flight which had reward availability)- but only if I do LH 1445/JJ 8071. But there is no availability on JJ 8071. LH 506 has availability, but LH 1445 has no availability if I try to do a married segment LH 1445/ LH 506...:confused::confused: Ended up buying a revenue ticket DME-FRA.