Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

ANA now (tries to) require you to have a Mileage Balance to use the Partner Search !

ANA now (tries to) require you to have a Mileage Balance to use the Partner Search !

Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:40 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
Originally Posted by sbm12
It is still scraping the site but the URL request used gets around the fact that they are not exposing the link to users through the main UI. In other words, while they aren't showing the old link to you it still works.

I've built a GreaseMonkey script to generate the same link for the common man.

Install this little ditty: http://old.wanderingaramean.com/staralink.user.js

Then go here: https://www.ana.co.jp/asw/AMCTopServlet?type=e

Click on the Award Reservation link on the menu there and then look in the top left corner. You should see a link that says "Click for *A Search" that should take you to the *A search form. You might get an error about session expired. If you do just click on the link/button to the home page and go to ANA Mileage Club again and to Award Reservations again. It usually works but occasionally gets that session timeout issue.

Any feedback you have is welcome.
I installed the script, but I can not search Star partner awards via the method which you describe as only a grey screen button appears on the award search page when looking for Star partners. I restarted Fireforx and also logged in and out of my ANA account just to cover all bases.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:04 pm

.DEL..

Last edited by piotro; Jun 17, 2010 at 5:11 pm Reason: actually not sure these give miles, rather not
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:13 pm
Community Director Emerita

For those who are moving AMEX points over, it takes 48 to 72 hours for those points to be credited. ANA has a three year expiration on points.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:40 pm

Thanks a lot for this prompt effort!

I installed your script in my Firefox 3.6.3 on OSX10.5.8. However, the *A search option was still unavailable. I look forward to the update.

It is still scraping the site but the URL request used gets around the fact that they are not exposing the link to users through the main UI. In other words, while they aren't showing the old link to you it still works.

Click on the Award Reservation link on the menu there and then look in the top left corner. You should see a link that says "Click for *A Search" that should take you to the *A search form. You might get an error about session expired. If you do just click on the link/button to the home page and go to ANA Mileage Club again and to Award Reservations again. It usually works but occasionally gets that session timeout issue.

Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chitownflyer
I installed the script, but I can not search Star partner awards via the method which you describe as only a grey screen button appears on the award search page when looking for Star partners. I restarted Fireforx and also logged in and out of my ANA account just to cover all bases.
Originally Posted by Nelumbo
Thanks a lot for this prompt effort!

I installed your script in my Firefox 3.6.3 on OSX10.5.8. However, the *A search option was still unavailable. I look forward to the update.
The button will remain grayed out. Look in the top left corner of the screen and you should see a new link that wasn't there without the GreaseMonkey script. That's the key. There are slightly better instructions in the blog post here or maybe this screenshot will make more sense.

Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: Lots, some no/low status some high status, can't be bothered to list them :-)

Brilliant - thank you ^
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:14 pm

Location: Since the BoSox and ChiSox won it, now it is the Cubs turn to take the Series. Go Cubs Go!
"The button will remain grayed out. Look in the top left corner of the screen and you should see a new link that wasn't there without the GreaseMonkey script. That's the key. There are slightly better instructions in the blog post here or maybe this screenshot will make more sense."

Many thanks for this.^ I got it to work on the laptop, now I need to check again later for my other PC.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Gold
If your SPG Platinum, you can transfer a minimum of 1 point to 1 mile. I just did it right now
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:05 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Yep, got the GreaseMonkey script working for now. Jeeze, this is worrisome - I won't be surprised if they shut this off soon. It would really suck to be without this tool.

So, like everyone else, I guess I will be looking for a way to get some miles into ANA.

Does anyone have any idea how many miles it'll take?

I'll be flying a segment on ANA in the fall....but it's an award ticket, so no miles for that. I wonder if I can but a drink or rent a pillow or headset or something and get some miles for that....
Old Jun 18, 2010, 2:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by bichoo
If your SPG Platinum, you can transfer a minimum of 1 point to 1 mile. I just did it right now
So did I, good tip.

but "Please allow 24 weeks for your transfer to be posted to your designated frequent-flyer account"
Old Jun 18, 2010, 9:33 am
Left Expert Flyer 4/23

Originally Posted by littlevoices
(I'd pay ExpertFlyer more frequently, I currently pay my $5 on an ad-hoc basis, if only they offered a *A search.. perhaps it will help build a business case for them)

Out of interest, what was the *A search engine that is being mentioned?
It's Ana.co.jp and ExpertFlyer doesn't screen scrape their website nor do we plan to.

Originally Posted by littlevoices
Perhaps in the background Expertflyer is doing the same but it was always hidden and I assumed they paid someone cash to get direct access to the actual airline system that shows the award classes (perhaps they scrape too?), hence the more limited number of airlines available but no requirement to have an ANA account.
As mentioned before, we are not screen scraping the ANA website. As for why any other tool that uses ANA works, sbm12 is correct:

However if ANA closes that loophole that will change unless you have miles in your ANA account.
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by 710 77345
Which company / tool should we be boycotting & bad-mouthing as a result of this?
Originally Posted by rankourabu
We shouldnt, since we dont know for sure.
But there has been a beta tool under development by a FlyerTalker (I think I saw the post in the United forum), that basically uses the ANA database/interface, but makes it much more user friendly.
I imagine you are all talking about Award Nexus, the tool I just started sharing with a few interested members a few weeks ago.

Thanks for not jumping to conclusion, rankourabu. While I don't have full stats at this point, with only a few dozens accounts and less than ten daily active users, many of whom are not doing ANA search, I have no reason to think ANX has anything to do with ANA's new policy.

Some heavy award redeemers probably do more searches than all the active daily users of my tool combined.

Originally Posted by jarino
.... due to the wide date and route range offered by the tool, the number of requests must be enormous...
Please, you are too kind, jarino. One day I wish the usage would reach the level you described.

Last edited by ckpeter; Jun 18, 2010 at 11:27 am Reason: Edit quote selection
Old Jun 18, 2010, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ExpertFlyer Voice
However if ANA closes that loophole that will change unless you have miles in your ANA account.
Correct. Or unless we discover another workaround.
Old Jun 19, 2010, 4:11 am

With 200 miles on the ANA account we can use the ANA tool (for searching Star Alliance award flights).
But I'm "worried" that the next enhancement will be ... you can check the awards availability on the Star Alliance flights ONLY if you have enough ANA points for the specific route that you are searching for.
What do you think?
Old Jun 19, 2010, 4:19 am

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by Topolino
But I'm "worried" that the next enhancement will be ... you can check the awards availability on the Star Alliance flights ONLY if you have enough ANA points for the specific route that you are searching for.
What do you think?
Very, very unlikely.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.