Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

ANA now (tries to) require you to have a Mileage Balance to use the Partner Search !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA now (tries to) require you to have a Mileage Balance to use the Partner Search !

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by gardener
I don't know what John Lewis is, but am intrigued about anything that gets a pound sterling of value per HH point - please elaborate!
John Lewis is the UK's largest department store chain, they also own Waitrose which is the poshest supermarket chain (think Whole Foods but cheaper but better food!). But sadly I meant to say 30k gets you Ł30 of vouchers!!

Originally Posted by gleff
Amex transfers are an option too
Not in the UK and I presume many countries outside the US

Originally Posted by jarino
ICH Priority Club: 125 $ for 10000 points = 2000 ANA miles
If you already have 5k PC, you can buy 10k for just $60 using the 'cash and points and cancel' method, which is cheaper than SPG

Last edited by Raffles; Jun 17, 2010 at 8:12 am
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: AA Gold
transfer minimum MR/SPG points?

Since I was planning on transferring in 120K MR points and enough SPG points in September to achieve the amount needed for 2 biz tix to China in 2011, should I just transfer 1K MR points now to get something into the account? Will that be enough to give me access to the search tool?

BTW, I just tried to log in and use the search and got the message about needing to have points i nthe account. : (

Last edited by susiesan; Jun 17, 2010 at 9:55 am
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:13 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Raffles
John Lewis is the UK's largest department store chain
Don't tell Debenhams that.......
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Disaster, but, potentially not. Whilst it means I'm going to waste one stay/flight credit it may help to recduce the number of people able to search for reward seats... increasing their availability (selfish view). Personally will look at a retro-hertz credit that was going to go to Marriott when I could be bothered doing it, 500 Marriott points aren't worth much anyway.

(I'd pay ExpertFlyer more frequently, I currently pay my $5 on an ad-hoc basis, if only they offered a *A search.. perhaps it will help build a business case for them)

Out of interest, what was the *A search engine that is being mentioned?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 11:53 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Originally Posted by baggageinhall
What are the alternatives while I try and credit something to ANA?
Originally Posted by littlevoices
(I'd pay ExpertFlyer more frequently, I currently pay my $5 on an ad-hoc basis, if only they offered a *A search.. perhaps it will help build a business case for them)
KVS Tool is not affected by the latest changes to the ANA website and continues to provide access to award/upgrade availability across all Star Alliance member carriers: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by KVS
KVS Tool is not affected by the latest changes to the ANA website and continues to provide access to award/upgrade availability across all Star Alliance member carriers: http://Help.KVSTool.com/#Classes
Thanks for your reply, makes me kind of curious: If your tool is still working have I mis-interpreted it in the past. From the screenshots, with the staralliance award searcher mentioning your ANA number/PIN I assumed it was screen scraping ANA's website to display availability on flights (in some manner). Are you actually using an alternative mechanism that won't be affected by these changes?

Perhaps in the background Expertflyer is doing the same but it was always hidden and I assumed they paid someone cash to get direct access to the actual airline system that shows the award classes (perhaps they scrape too?), hence the more limited number of airlines available but no requirement to have an ANA account.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
A few determined Flyertalkers is one thing, but a publicly available 3rd party search tool is another.
Which company / tool should we be boycotting & bad-mouthing as a result of this?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by 710 77345
Which company / tool should we be boycotting & bad-mouthing as a result of this?
We shouldnt, since we dont know for sure.
But there has been a beta tool under development by a FlyerTalker (I think I saw the post in the United forum), that basically uses the ANA database/interface, but makes it much more user friendly.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Thanks for your reply, makes me kind of curious: If your tool is still working have I mis-interpreted it in the past. From the screenshots, with the staralliance award searcher mentioning your ANA number/PIN I assumed it was screen scraping ANA's website to display availability on flights (in some manner). Are you actually using an alternative mechanism that won't be affected by these changes?
It is still scraping the site but the URL request used gets around the fact that they are not exposing the link to users through the main UI. In other words, while they aren't showing the old link to you it still works.

I've built a GreaseMonkey script to generate the same link for the common man.

Install this little ditty: http://old.wanderingaramean.com/staralink.user.js

Then go here: https://www.ana.co.jp/asw/AMCTopServlet?type=e

Click on the Award Reservation link on the menu there and then look in the top left corner. You should see a link that says "Click for *A Search" that should take you to the *A search form. You might get an error about session expired. If you do just click on the link/button to the home page and go to ANA Mileage Club again and to Award Reservations again. It usually works but occasionally gets that session timeout issue.

Any feedback you have is welcome.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by rankourabu
We shouldnt, since we dont know for sure.
But there has been a beta tool under development by a FlyerTalker (I think I saw the post in the United forum), that basically uses the ANA database/interface, but makes it much more user friendly.
The screenshots from the tool which are available could indicate that in the background only a few (one?) accounts are used, maybe even with requests from one IP address only as intermediary (speculation). In addition due to the wide date and route range offered by the tool, the number of requests must be enormous. This type of scraping should be very obvious to ANA.

Smarter Tools require every user to use his/her own account number/password and requests are processed through the user's IP address which is different for every user. Most likely ANA does not even notice this kind of use.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:10 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by KVS
Thanks but I do not (and will not) run Windows.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Personally will look at a retro-hertz credit that was going to go to Marriott when I could be bothered doing it, 500 Marriott points aren't worth much anyway.
Doh! I did one yesterday...
Old Jun 17, 2010, 2:48 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
I noticed this 'enhancement' last night.
Do any of the *A sites show TAM awards yet?
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by hauteboy
I noticed this 'enhancement' last night.
Do any of the *A sites show TAM awards yet?
ANA is your best bet still, jiust use one of the fixes detailed in this thread.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
When I had accidentally credited an Avis Car rental to ANA Mileage Club in Apr 2008, I thought that was dumb of me to do so. I thought , hey, here I am with only 300 miles to my account and everyone else on FT is doing this for free.

I guess it was the smart thing for me to do then !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.