Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

ANA now (tries to) require you to have a Mileage Balance to use the Partner Search !

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ANA now (tries to) require you to have a Mileage Balance to use the Partner Search !

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by rankourabu
1.go to ANA International Flight Awards
2.Enter an ANA operated route
3.Click Next
4.at the bottom click on Use Star Alliance Members Airline (2nd blue button from the bottom)
5.in the near future credit something small to ANA to avoid having to do 1-4
Excellent work. Sherlock Holmes award for solving a mystery there! ^
Old Jun 17, 2010, 3:55 am

Blimey, that works!

Thanks very much

In fact, it's completely worth the small extra hassle, because once you're in you can just press next and do new searches for dates or destinations without having to follow all the steps again.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
One really cannot blame ANA for blacking this out, since someone has started running a Star Alliance script to search the engine.

A few determined Flyertalkers is one thing, but a publicly available 3rd party search tool is another.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:08 am

Programs: BD Gold, BEAC Blue, MA Gold, FB Gold, Flybe useless exec card HH Gold SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Raffles
^

Have a gold star! However, this workaround is unlikely to last long.

It's a bit mean on ANA's part - its not as if there is any marginal cost to them of us all using their website. That said, I would happily pay Ł10 a year for ANA if it was chargeable, and that is the equivalent cost of crediting a cheapo hotel stay, car hire, points transfer given it sets you up for 3 years.
Phew. That should save 3 hour's on the phone to the ICC for the 12 airline 32 sector redemption that the average FTer does ;-)
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
If/when the well-spotted 4-step loophole closes then easiest way might be to change earning preferences for Marriott or Starwood hotels and then pop in for a coffee or something equally simple and wait for miles to credit before altering preferences qagain. This could work where earnings are per $ spent as opposed to per night stay. Obviously the latter will work too but will cost relatively more for your ANA access.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
If/when the well-spotted 4-step loophole closes then easiest way might be to change earning preferences for Marriott or Starwood hotels and then pop in for a coffee or something equally simple and wait for miles to credit before altering preferences qagain. This could work where earnings are per $ spent as opposed to per night stay. Obviously the latter will work too but will cost relatively more for your ANA access.
Or car rental, not least because ANA has a fairly wide range of car rental partners.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 4:46 am

Indeed, outside of Japan and without japanese language skills, car rental (AVIS, Hertz, Alamo, National, Dollar) and hotel expenses appear to be the easiest options:

http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/amc/referen...ther/rent.html
http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/amc/referen...hotel_dom.html

Overseas Options include Hong Kong, Thailand, France, South Korea
http://www.ana.co.jp/eng/amc/referen.../overseas_hkg/
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:01 am

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
I think I will bite the bullet on 10k Hilton. My 40k HH balance is now good for almost nothing anyway, and the remaining 30k I can use for Ł30k of John Lewis vouchers!!
I don't know what John Lewis is, but am intrigued about anything that gets a pound sterling of value per HH point - please elaborate!
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:12 am
AHO

As long as it doesn't require there has to be enough miles in the account for making a search(like KE does), it's OK for me.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:41 am

To "buy" some ANA miles without leaving the house, Starwood is an option:

With SPG, as a Platinum member you can convert 1 mile only to ANA 1:1. For Gold members there's a minimum of 1500 miles, for non-status preferred members it's minimum 2500 miles.

500 miles cost 17.50 $, maximum cost without SPG status 5* 17.50 $ = 87.50 $, with status less.

Hilton: 100 $ for 10000 points = 1000 ANA miles.
Marriott: 125 $ for 10000 points = 1500 ANA miles
ICH Priority Club: 125 $ for 10000 points = 2000 ANA miles
Old Jun 17, 2010, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Amex transfers are an option too, but I like the car rental route if this becomes necessary.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:09 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by baggageinhall
What are the alternatives while I try and credit something to ANA?

- EF for UA and LX

- I recall seeing something about child M&M accounts not having to have a positive balance to search awards but the results are restricted to the LH group? (Can someone verify this)

- Aeroplan; though I seem to recall that this was more painful than the ANA tool

- Ringing the ICC
Continental One pass search shows AC, CO, UA and US at least I think.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Continental One pass search shows AC, CO, UA and US at least I think.
But not consistently and not particularly full lists. They also include BD, SN and sometimes LH on searches. Officially they have about half of *A available but in reality it is very much hit-or-miss.

ETA: TP and SK are also included in my most recent search this morning.

Last edited by sbm12; Jun 17, 2010 at 7:22 am
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by rankourabu
One really cannot blame ANA for blacking this out, since someone has started running a Star Alliance script to search the engine.

A few determined Flyertalkers is one thing, but a publicly available 3rd party search tool is another.
They also could have just locked out the account being used for that script or the IP address from which the high traffic is sourced. That would be a bit more cat-and-mouse but it won't be all that hard for the folks running the scripts to put 1000 miles in their account and keep on with their efforts.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:20 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
My 40k HH balance is now good for almost nothing anyway, and the remaining 30k I can use for Ł30k of John Lewis vouchers!!
That is just amazing conversion rate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.