Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Hold baggage allowances - shorthaul economy just 1 piece now

Old May 27, 2010, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA

I was just reminding myself of what the carry on baggage allowance was, and I came across this gem:

UK, Ireland and Regional route baggage allowance
Hold baggage
Economy (except Regional Y class Economy)
1 piece, max weight 20kg. Applicable from 24 May 2010
Have I missed something, or is this a sneaky unannounced enhancement? 10 per extra bag, it seems, no exemption for BD*S/G. Even more annoying when you have a flight shortly that's only booked on BD to avoid the BA single piece rule. Note that flexi-Y still gets unlimited pieces, this is just for the plebs behind the invisible, non-APD-liable curtain.

Any experience of this new policy so far, and how it's being enforced?
Old May 27, 2010, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
I noticed that yesterday. Of course, a published Star Alliance benefit for *G allows for either an additional 20kg or one additional piece, depending on which concept applies for the particular flight. I would be inclined to argue that the piece concept applies here, but whether bmi would agree with me is another matter...
Old Dec 22, 2010, 6:59 am

Programs: BA*S, CX_G, Marriott Reward Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by orudge
I noticed that yesterday. Of course, a published Star Alliance benefit for *G allows for either an additional 20kg or one additional piece, depending on which concept applies for the particular flight. I would be inclined to argue that the piece concept applies here, but whether bmi would agree with me is another matter...
So has anyone worked this one out?

As Gold with the 'extra' 20kg allowance do you have to have it in a separate 2nd case or can you still go up to the 32Kg max for one bag?

lcs
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:01 pm

If it is a piece concept route *G will get an extra piece, if its a weight concept route you will get an extra 20Kg
Old Dec 23, 2010, 12:09 pm

But as you're not allowed a hypothetical 40kg bag, does that then entitle you to a second 20kg bag (or a 32kg bag and, presumably, an 8kg bag)?

I was potentially going to encounter this situation a while back, but ended up only taking one bag (albeit one that was slightly heavier than 20kg). So unfortunately I can't really make it any clearer!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
suspect 23kg or 22kg is top limit for a bag

I seem to recall earlier this year that some new health and safety regulations were coming in about now or just come in recently, to limit the maximum size of a bag to 23kg (oor maybe 22kg). I think this was for the health and strength of baggagehandlers, and I think it was Europe-wide. So this means even if you do have 32kg total checked luggage allowance, you will be forced to split it into 2 bags. plus, lots of airlines apparently would charge something extra (I think it varies, what) if you ended up splitting into more than 2 bags. (although for Bus. travellers often such rules are not enforced depending on the airline and location so far as I can tell...)
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:36 pm

As I understand it, 32kg is the "health and safety" limit (or 70lb in the US), although many airlines will restrict their default limit to 23kg or even 20kg, particularly in Economy, charging for anything extra over that up to a limit of 32kg. Usually, anything over 23kg or so gets a "HEAVY" tag, in my experience.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.