Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Lounge Access Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Quick Lounge Access Question

I am flying into Dublin on 5/7 (on Continental) and will be connecting to a RyanAir flight to Bologna. I am *G and also have a Continental President's Club membership. Continental's site shows that both of these should grant access to the BMI lounge in DUB. Does anyone know if I wouldn't be able to enter the lounge and how close is the lounge to where RyanAir flights depart?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But you're flying on FR. AFAIK BD lounges do not have an open access policy.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
I thought that as long as you had a *G card that you were granted access. Or if a ticket was required that having the President's Club card would be okay.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 4:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
I think it's only if you're travelling on a *A flight.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 12:15 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by colmc
I think it's only if you're travelling on a *A flight.
Its definitely only if travelling on an onward *A flight from that airport that day. BD isn't BA!

So no lounge access at all unless you find a paid lounge.

"Enjoy" Ryanair... I assume you've read something about them but connecting onto their flight on a separate ticket will be cheap as long as you manage to catch the flight!
Old Apr 28, 2010, 5:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, BD Gold (RIP), TK Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, IC RA, Hertz 5*
Yup no *G lounge access unless you're on an onward *A flight.

Even without lounge access I hope you've given yourself a comfortable connection time as it'll turn out far more expensive (and fun?) if you miss the FR flight..
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:25 am
Original Poster

I have 3 hours to connect. Thanks for the replies.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Mucci des tres pathetiques
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
Enough time to prepare yourself for the sheer horror that is Ryanair.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL
If you were connecting from another european carrier in Dublin, 3 hours would be enough. If you've never flown Ryanair before, then you've a few small things to note...

- You should already have a boarding pass printed before you get on your first flight. FR charge something like €40 to print one at the airport.
- Watch out for the quality of the boarding pass printing - laser is good. There have been some (tabloid) media reports of passengers denied boarding with faded barcodes on their home printed boarding passes
- If you can print on A4 do so, I'm not sure how they will react to letter
- You will only be allowed one piece of hand luggage, NO personal items, and it will be inspected at the boarding gate for size and weight. Max 8-10Kg.

In Dublin, many of the Ryanair gates are in the 'D' pier (some in 'A') which is a comfortable 10 minute walk from the main security screening area.

Just above the main screening area are the BMI lounge (which the others here correctly say you'll have no access, and the Airport Lounge, which has Priority Club). To repeat, this is some distance from the A or D gates.

You'll need to clear customers, and re-check in (really drop off) your baggage. With the new FR process, there are consolidate check-in lines for all European flights. If you don't have an EU passport, there's something about a Visa check prior to drop-off. Drop-off for your flight will close at 40 minutes prior to departure. Boarding will take place at 20 minutes prior.

If your CO flight is anyway late, or their baggage handling is poor (something which I always find DUB is poor at regardless of carrier), or immigration is busy, then your three hours will be uncomfortably short.

Best of luck...

Aidan
Old Apr 28, 2010, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, aidanc. We'll be bringing our luggage on the CO flight, so won't have to wait for it before checking it in with Ryanair. I've flown Ryanair before and while they aren't big on frills (I know that that is an understatement), they were a fraction of the price for a flight to Bologna. BMI was $989 each and Ryanair was $85 each.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.