Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Iceland volcano cancels flight - refunds painless?

Iceland volcano cancels flight - refunds painless?

Old Apr 15, 2010, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Confirmed: CFMU won't even consider flight plans until 6am tomorrow, so major disruption on Friday too
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Silver
Given that all bmi flights are grounded today and probably tomorrow as well I find it interesting that this thread has been so quiet. Are there really so few bmi flyers on this board these days?
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Given that all bmi flights are grounded today and probably tomorrow as well I find it interesting that this thread has been so quiet. Are there really so few bmi flyers on this board these days?
They are probably all on the phone to bmi.

I have a bmi redemption booking for tomorrow on LH for MAN-DUS-ORD. Although the morning MAN-DUS flight has not been officially cancelled yet, having seen ajamieson's posts above I decided to call pre-travel support.

Because lines were busy I was passed round from Admin to Reservation and to another section before ending up with the ICC.

The agent (R.... one of the best whom I dealt with before) was able to re-book me on MAN-FRA-ORD on Saturday. I'll just have to hope that volcanic ashes will have cleared by Saturday morning.

A very impressive service. ^^
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:53 am

All BMI flights from BHD now cancelled until at least Midday tomorrow
Old Apr 15, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Dear NewbieRunner,

unfortunately, I have possibly bad news for you. This is a forecast from the Norwegians for Saturday morning 2am (not sure whether UTC or CEST):

Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
They are probably all on the phone to bmi.
No, the lack of posts is because they haven't thought of a way to blame bmi for the eruption, yet, and enlighten us with a few 's and 's
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Ouch!

Looks like the backlog will stretch in to next week

I'm off to LAX next week in I class on NZ... I'm gonna be mightily hacked off if I get bumped...
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:19 am

Here is the complete presentation of the Norwegian Meterological Institute:
http://met.no/?module=Files;action=File.getFile;ID=3244

I guess this assumes that the volcano will continue to erupt; from a cursory review of web sources, this is not unlikely.

A little translation help:

Onsdag = Wednesday
Torsdag = Thursday
Fredag = Friday
Lřrdag = Saturday
kl = klockan = o'clock
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
So it seems the original message to Reykjavik was "Send Cash".....but something got lost in translation.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:33 am

Trip of a lifetime

Trying to work this one out.

I have a ABZ - LHR revenue ticket flight for Friday night on BMI

Saturday 09:40 I have an award flight LHR-FRA-MEX on LH using DC points+ cash for buisness

Being in ABZ and the latest train I can catch to London is 14:00 Friday

When should I make the decision to pull the plug and catch the train (As my concern is as these are 2 seperate tickets that I will get left high and dry when the airports open ond the FRA flight leaves before I get to LHR!

Thoughts
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:50 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I would call LH right now and ask whether the Saturday service has been cancelled yet and whether your I class ticket is likely to get bumped in favour of discomoded C, J, D and Z pax.

And I would make the decision immediately after that call.

To get to LHR and find no onward transportation could cost you dearly in hotels, as I don't believe you'll be entitled to any assistance if airspace has been closed by ATC.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:57 am

If you have a look at the picture I posted above, you will see that there is the very real chance that there will be no flights whatsoever from any of the airports you are concerned with. The only way to get to MEX for sure seems to be to take a train to somewhere in the South of France (maybe LYS or MRS). From there, you need to find a flight connection to MEX (maybe a flight to MAD connecting to MEX).
Old Apr 15, 2010, 10:58 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Dear NewbieRunner,

unfortunately, I have possibly bad news for you. This is a forecast from the Norwegians for Saturday morning 2am (not sure whether UTC or CEST):
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Here is the complete presentation of the Norwegian Meterological Institute:
http://met.no/?module=Files;action=File.getFile;ID=3244
Thanks for the nice piece of abstract art.

It's interesting that according to these maps the southern part of the UK has been affected more than the northern part, yet airports in Scotland and north of England were the first ones to be shut down this morning.

I guess I'll have to call the ICC again tomorrow and see if they can re-book me for Sunday.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:03 am

I think they had a "safety buffer zone" around the actual ash. And in the morning, according to the Norwegian graphs, the ash was over the North Sea not that far from Scotland.
Old Apr 15, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I'm just being quiet and reading the updates... on the 4pm flight from EDI-LHR tomorrow, desperately not wanting a 5hour train journey. Will make up my mind tomorrow, alas my companies policy for being in cattle on the train doesn't appeal, hence the waiting around - at least for the moment no cancellation, and the next update at 8pm tonight

As for the ABZ question: I'd get myself ready to train to LHR and just do it... if its the trip of a lifetime its probably worth the risk that you get to LHR, no flight - then let Lufthansa deal with you... though be prepared to pay for your own hotel, or sleep in the airport. Hope you have travel insurance for any cancelled hotels/cars/guides - who I would also inform now that due to travel issues you may be a day or two late and to hold your room (if you still intend on travelling, even if you end up waiting around).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.