Status Miles over 55,000

Old Mar 22, 10, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle, PC Platinum
Status Miles over 55,000

Apologies if this is covered elsewhere - I have looked!

I know that my "excess" status miles (i.e. over 55,000) should convert to destination miles - but when?

My membership year is May to May and I passed 55k in December. At the moment, I have 73,000 status miles - when will they convert? Is it part of the re-set for the new membership year?

Many thanks for help with what I'm sure is a stupid question...
Old Mar 22, 10, 11:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by AyrMiles View Post
I have 73,000 status miles - when will they convert?
They won't. Your status miles total just keeps on growing, and you should get a destinations miles bonus equivalent to the status miles earned in each transaction.
Old Mar 22, 10, 1:01 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AyrMiles
I know that my "excess" status miles (i.e. over 55,000) should convert to destination miles - but when?

My membership year is May to May and I passed 55k in December. At the moment, I have 73,000 status miles - when will they convert? Is it part of the re-set for the new membership year?
It's another example of bmi-speak, I'm afraid, in that 'convert' doesn't actually mean convert. Your miles beyond 55K are not changed to destination miles. Rather, as you have seen, they continue to accrue as status miles. However, any amount over 55K is duplicated, or replicated, or something, and that amount is added to your destination balance.

cheers,

Henry
Old Mar 23, 10, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA EC Silver, Hertz Presidents Circle, PC Platinum
Aaaahh...

Many thanks! I just need to see if they are really doing that...
Old Mar 24, 10, 12:11 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
I am also confused about the 55K.

So when I got to gold, 38K status miles came off and my status miles reset to 0. So does that mean I have to get status miles back up 17K (within the year) or I have to get the balance up to 55K (within 12months of reset date) before the bonus miles start kicking in?
Old Mar 24, 10, 2:46 am

When your gold status is renewed and your status miles are reset to 0, then you have to get back up to 55k status miles again in the new membership year before you get the 55k rollover bonus.

You then have the remaining portion of your membership year earning the 55k rollover bonus, and at the next renewal, you go back to 0 and start all over again.
Old Mar 24, 10, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Request to Mods to maybe have a sticky on this topic or to update another. So that this 55K status miles question doesn't get asked over and over again?
Old Mar 24, 10, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Guy Betsy View Post
Request to Mods to maybe have a sticky on this topic or to update another. So that this 55K status miles question doesn't get asked over and over again?
Ahem. Pay attention now.
Old Mar 24, 10, 6:41 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post
When your gold status is renewed and your status miles are reset to 0, then you have to get back up to 55k status miles again in the new membership year before you get the 55k rollover bonus.
What happens if I have 54k miles and then hit a big flight worth say 15k miles - will 14k of those be treated as "double miles" or will I get no bonus for this flight, and the bonus will only kick in from my next journey?
Old Mar 24, 10, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by aster View Post
What happens if I have 54k miles and then hit a big flight worth say 15k miles Will 14k of those be treated as "double miles" or will I get no bonus for this flight, and the bonus will only kick in from my next journey?
You will (*should*) get a destinations bonus of 14k.
Old Mar 24, 10, 7:45 am

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, MH Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer View Post

You then have the remaining portion of your membership year earning the 55k rollover bonus, and at the next renewal, you go back to 0 and start all over again.
Ok thanks, that makes sense.
Old Mar 25, 10, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lokijuh View Post
I am also confused about the 55K.

So when I got to gold, 38K status miles came off and my status miles reset to 0. So does that mean I have to get status miles back up 17K (within the year) or I have to get the balance up to 55K (within 12months of reset date) before the bonus miles start kicking in?
What happened here is that you got to Gold for the first time, moving up from Silver.

That gives you a new Gold membership year, starting on the date you first earned Gold. Membership miles from that point on go toward requalification for the following year. When they hit 38K, you will have earned another year of Gold. This time your membership miles will NOT reset to 0, since you didn't just move up a level. At 55K, should you fly that much in the year after your new anniversary date, doubling will kick in. This will continue until your Gold anniversary date. At that point they'll reset, and you'll start the requalification process anew.
Old Mar 28, 10, 11:01 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
It should look something like this on your statement (the +55k bonus is in italics) :

25-Mar-2010 Accrual Activity PEK to ICN on CA - 00123 in C 900 900
25-Mar-2010 Accrual Activity Bonus: PEK to ICN on CA - 00123 in C 1050 0

30-Jan-2010 Accrual Activity ICN to LHR on OZ-00521 in Z - 11014 11014
30-Jan-2010 Accrual Activity Bonus: ICN to LHR on OZ-00521 in Z - 12391 0

Having only recently joined DC, I didn't even know about this until they started appearing on my statement. It's a really attractive benefit, particularly if you are flying long haul in business as it effectively gives you 425% miles.

Search this Thread