Air China - Any fellow DC members flown?

Old Mar 20, 10, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Air China - Any fellow DC members flown?

hi there,

need a return flight between HKG and Beijing during April. It seems that Air China is the only *A airline on this route? IS it any good or should I forget mileage acrual and go for Cathay?
Old Mar 20, 10, 1:03 pm

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321 View Post
hi there,

need a return flight between HKG and Beijing during April. It seems that Air China is the only *A airline on this route? IS it any good or should I forget mileage acrual and go for Cathay?
We are flying PEK-HKG on CA at the end of this month. Will let you know. Reviews online seem ok. For some reason, DC could not book us in F on the flight, even though it seemed available on expertflyer.com
Old Mar 20, 10, 1:14 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Did Beijing to Hong Kong on Air China a couple of years ago in business on a redemption. Plane was a 777 at the time. Service was very good, seat was the old cradle style seat which was perfectly fine for the length of flight.

In fact all of our flights on CA were pretty good.
Old Mar 20, 10, 1:26 pm

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...ad.main/138883
Old Mar 20, 10, 2:45 pm

Programs: LY Gold; BA Silver;
Originally Posted by RAPC View Post
Did Beijing to Hong Kong on Air China a couple of years ago in business on a redemption. Plane was a 777 at the time. Service was very good, seat was the old cradle style seat which was perfectly fine for the length of flight.

In fact all of our flights on CA were pretty good.
They only fly widebodies on that route once or twice a day. The rest of the flights (about 8-10 more daily flights) has the 737s and the A320s that has the same seats as domestic US F.

Last edited by gordo6; Mar 20, 10 at 2:54 pm
Old Mar 20, 10, 3:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by gordo6 View Post
They only fly widebodies on that route once or twice a day. The rest of the flights (about 8-10 more daily flights) has the 737s and the A320s that has the same seats as domestic US F.
Indeed. That's the reason why we chose that particular flight for the better seating.
Old Mar 20, 10, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They are fine. Service is eager to please up front if a bit deficient in English. Lounges are OK, planes decent.
Old Mar 20, 10, 3:25 pm

Did this last year: HKG-PEK-NRT. All with Air China but the HKG-PEK was actually an Air Macau A321 operating for Air China.

Both flights; fine. Acceptable economy food. PEK-NRT was a shabby old 757 but I've been on worse.

Overall, typical economy experience. Would do it again.

Similarly, I was pivotal about CX direct but figured I'd try a new airline!
Old Mar 21, 10, 1:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
Originally Posted by Swanhunter View Post
They are fine. Service is eager to please up front if a bit deficient in English. Lounges are OK, planes decent.
Sorry I missed this before. Did PEK-ICN in C on the 330 about 10 days ago. Swanhunter sums it up nicely - the flight was perfectly non-descript

Slightly strange food service (all-on-one breakfast tray from the galley, including a little bowl of, err, peanuts), but anything else I wanted was too much trouble. Seat is not the best, and tricky to adjust, but it is sloping-flat, and the AVOD is limited, but works fine. Am a fan of the Chinese/Korean/Japanese thing of offering comfy slippers, even on short flights

PEK lounge is also not as bad as some reviews have claimed - spacious, and the decent (non-packaged) food is in the far distant corner; there are also showers, again not fantastic, but better than the godawful EK first class ones in DXB, say
Old Mar 21, 10, 7:48 pm
db7

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, BA ,
There is a lack of alcoholic drinks - normally only one bottle of red and one of white wine for example. Don't know about J but in F can sometimes be old non flat bed seats -service is alway good.

My pref. is KA (they have F) CX only have J

Last edited by db7; Mar 22, 10 at 1:28 am
Old Mar 21, 10, 7:51 pm

Programs: AAexp, UA*G, HY LT Globalist, FB Plat, Centurion
Originally Posted by db7 View Post
There is a lack of alcoholic drinks - normally only one bottle of red and one of white wine for example. Don't know about J but in F can sometimes be old non flat bed seats -service is alway good.

My pref. is KA (they have F) CA only have J
My preference is KA but if you want the miles go with CA. They are totally acceptable.
Old Mar 21, 10, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC/IB
Last time I flew with them you could have a fag on board so my opinion is a wee bit out of date.

Flew LHR-BJS-LHR in a 747-400 and the IFE was a large screen showing some strange Chinese films.
My fellow travellers were mostly Chinese who spent the time during taxiing out from the gate to the runway shifting seats. My window seat neighbour obviously didn't like the look of me so disappeared to sit elsewhere leaving me with the whole row of three seats to myself....had the whole middle row to myself on the way back.
I found the crew, who were mostly young females lovely and the food edible. I imagine they have improved somewhat since then.
Old Mar 27, 10, 6:09 am

Programs: *A "Top 1000 2015", FB Lifetime Plat., UA 1K; Marriott Gold; Hilton Diamond.
I did HKG-PEK about 18 months ago as part of a J class RTW. As others have noted, perfectly acceptable, given length of the flight -- not a patch on the NZ leg I flew immediately before (LHR-HKG), but no reason to shun. CDJZ only earns x1.5 and FAP only x2, but that's still better than x 0 for CX.
Old Mar 30, 10, 1:57 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
I've done PVG to PEK with CA and it was fine. Seats no better or worse in Economy than anyone else and it's only 2 hours. Flew back in First as the fare was only GBP20 more expensive than Economy at time of booking.
Old Mar 31, 10, 4:23 am

I fly them only domestically when i need *A miles and when Shanghai Airlines is not available for my time or route. My personal ranking for the major Chinese airlines for domestic flights (i know, HKG-PEK is not technically considered domestic) is:

1. MU - China Eastern (N/A for your route)
2. FM - Shanghai Airlines (N/A for your route)
3. CA - Air China
4. CZ - China Southern

Last edited by sniles; Apr 1, 10 at 3:16 am

Search this Thread