Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

2 new Miles & More credit cards for UK market?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 new Miles & More credit cards for UK market?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2010, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by lallyr
Who ever has got a DC Mastercard is very lucky. I have the Amex one and it is impossible to use. It seems that no one accepts them anymore.

I miss out on so many miles every month as most of the retailers no longer accept amex.
You can still get a BMI Mastercard. You need to apply by phone to MBNA, but I got one approved a couple of weeks ago and now have a shiny new one. As per the dedicated thread, the sign-up bonus is 12,000 miles and the card credits at 1 mile per £.

Just a note for the wary, there is no part of MBNA'a standard phone signup process that captures your DC number. I had to call and link it after the card arrived, so it's not quite as smooth as the Amex.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by adl73x
You can still get a BMI Mastercard. You need to apply by phone to MBNA, but I got one approved a couple of weeks ago and now have a shiny new one. As per the dedicated thread, the sign-up bonus is 12,000 miles and the card credits at 1 mile per £.

Just a note for the wary, there is no part of MBNA'a standard phone signup process that captures your DC number. I had to call and link it after the card arrived, so it's not quite as smooth as the Amex.
Hi there,

Very interesting, please tell me...

Can you still get this 12'000 miles bonus if you have already recieved the 24'000 bonus for the BMI amex + card?
Is there a fee for this BMI mastercard?^
Old Mar 18, 2010, 7:16 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat OZ Diamond SK Diamond BA Blue
Originally Posted by dannyrado
Can you still get this 12'000 miles bonus if you have already recieved the 24'000 bonus for the BMI amex + card?
Is there a fee for this BMI mastercard?^
Yes, it's a different MBNA product, so yes you get the sign up bonus even if you already have a BMI+ Amex (as I do).

No, for the BMI Mastercard, as with the standard BMI Amex, there is no annual fee.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
The MasterCard sounds good. But just 1 mile per pound is not worth the hassle IMHO.

Although might be worthwhile if we still get 12k miles.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: SAS*D, IC-RA,EM-G

Just applied and they did ask for the DC number, Still get 12,000 bonus miles (If spend £250 within 90 Days), no annual fee and 1 point per £1
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
Yes, it's a different MBNA product, so yes you get the sign up bonus even if you already have a BMI+ Amex (as I do).
The T+Cs generally say that if you have ever received an opening bonus with MBNA, then you won't get a second. Of course, the T+Cs are not always adhered to, as seems to be the case with you, but it's not guaranteed.
The MasterCard sounds good. But just 1 mile per pound is not worth the hassle IMHO.
I'm still getting 1.5 DC miles per £.

When my card was renewed, the blurb on the mailer mentioned 1 mile per £, but IIRC others have also continued to get 1.5 miles. Is anyone receiving only 1 mile per £?
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Who ever has got a DC Mastercard is very lucky. I have the Amex one and it is impossible to use. It seems that no one accepts them anymore.

I miss out on so many miles every month as most of the retailers no longer accept amex.
Where do you shop?

Tescos, Morrisons, Sainsbury's, Amazon and Waitrose all accept Amex and a few other high street names that I've forgotten too. Most importantly, it's my primary card on Paypal, so everything I buy from eBay goes through it too.

I have no problem using it, even East Midlands Trains accept it, and that means 1700 miles a month just for purchasing a monthly season ticket to London.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oddly my experience is the exact opposite. I've been really surprised how many smaller retailers are now taking Amex - down to cafes and small shops in odd bits of Norfolk. Amex have actually been targetting smaller players and offering good deals. The only high street name I can think of who don't take Amex are B&Q. And my bmi Mastercard is very useful there!
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Where do you shop?
NCL and DEL. Nuff said.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 2:52 pm

I think my spending habits must have changed so much in favour of shops that accept amex, that i can't think of any that don't. my attitude is that if they can't be bothered to accept my method of payment they don't want my business and i vote with my feet. (although both the paypal and bmi mc are suitable backups when i get caught out!)
Old Mar 18, 2010, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
NCL and DEL. Nuff said.
^

Yeah I guess all the grocery shops take them, its just the hight street retailers like H&M, Costa, Superdry to name a few. I guess its no biggie but I just hate pulling out my amex and then it getting turned down.

Just applied and they did ask for the DC number, Still get 12,000 bonus miles (If spend £250 within 90 Days), no annual fee and 1 point per £1
What number did you call on as when I spoke to MBNA and they told me that there wasn't any non Amex BMI card available.

I also emailed them a few days back and this is what they had to say -

Received: 17/03/2010
from Customer Service
Thank you for your response. I apologise for the incorrect information which you have been given. Regrettably, we do not offer a Visa or MasterCard BMI facility. Please accept my sincere apologies for the fact that you have been advised otherwise. Regards.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 3:24 am

Programs: SAS*D, IC-RA,EM-G
[QUOTE=lallyr;13602781] ^

What number did you call on as when I spoke to MBNA and they told me that there wasn't any non Amex BMI card available.
QUOTE]

MBNA 0800 068 8788
Old Mar 19, 2010, 6:03 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Technically MBNA customer services are correct. The Mastercards are now supposed to only be issued as replacement cards rather than as a new account.

Agents can over ride it on the system to get them issued to new customers, but they are not supposed to.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
And far worse earnings rate. My Lufty Amex used to be 2 miles per £1, now just 1.5 (the same as new sign-ups).
Easy reason for that: The GBP used to be 1,50 to the Euro, now its 1,10. Lufty accounts in Euro, not in Gordon Brown's Pesos. The ratio in Euro did not change at all.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAPC
Technically MBNA customer services are correct. The Mastercards are now supposed to only be issued as replacement cards rather than as a new account.

Agents can over ride it on the system to get them issued to new customers, but they are not supposed to.
Applied. This time the agent knew exactly what the card I was talking about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.