OT: 2k Miles by end of May

Old Mar 14, 10, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3 *G
2k Miles by end of May

Perhaps thinking too far ahead, but as I'm unlikely to have any business travel before the end of May, I'd like to be sure of hitting gold by doing a small mileage run.

Having spend the day on ITA, the options are not fantastic from DUB/BHD/BFS, too many fares in 0.25 or 0.5 buckets. Ideally the budget is £250 ( a Swiss business sale would be fantastic !, but unlikely to happen at this stage in the year from what I've read ), but would be prepared to pay a couple of quid more if the destination is worth hanging around for a couple of beers.

Anybody have any thoughts ? - pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 14, 10, 4:27 pm

Programs: Various memberships
Cairo for the weekend?

You could do a hop over to London (I typed out the below before I read your departure airports) and then to Cairo

Swiss economy fares £270 for LCY-ZRH-CAI

Books into T so 50% earning

LCY-ZRH = 600 (min) ZRH-CAI = 1706

So 2305 return in a 50% bucket.

Sample dates - 7 May out, 10 May back.

LHR is £1 more if that works better for you.

TE
Old Mar 14, 10, 4:33 pm

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
I would definitely make a TATL-run, see some friends in NYC and go for a nice brunch in Williamsburg before heading back. CO/US/UA (via LHR) would all be options since they all earn 100% and the trip will give you at least 10k miles if you are a bit innovative...
Old Mar 14, 10, 4:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by ErasmusEBS View Post
I would definitely make a TATL-run, see some friends in NYC and go for a nice brunch in Williamsburg before heading back. CO/US/UA (via LHR) would all be options since they all earn 100% and the trip will give you at least 10k miles if you are a bit innovative...
Just the small matter of doing that for £250 in April or May....
Old Mar 14, 10, 4:41 pm

Programs: TK*G, SK*S, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RAPC View Post
Just the small matter of doing that for £250 in April or May....
Sorry, missed that one :-)
Old Mar 14, 10, 5:25 pm

Programs: Various memberships
There is also BHX to CAI via IST on Turkish in U (50%) for £288.

You could get a BMI Baby flight over for about £45 return to BHX from BFS (not looked at connection times).

I realise we are bit over budget but I supect this is about the best option at the moment for the miles you are looking for.
Old Mar 14, 10, 6:10 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond club-Gold; BAEC Gold; Qantas FF; Hertz Gold, Accor A-Club Gold
Originally Posted by vantheman View Post
Perhaps thinking too far ahead, but as I'm unlikely to have any business travel before the end of May, I'd like to be sure of hitting gold by doing a small mileage run.

Having spend the day on ITA, the options are not fantastic from DUB/BHD/BFS, too many fares in 0.25 or 0.5 buckets. Ideally the budget is £250 ( a Swiss business sale would be fantastic !, but unlikely to happen at this stage in the year from what I've read ), but would be prepared to pay a couple of quid more if the destination is worth hanging around for a couple of beers.

Anybody have any thoughts ? - pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
I assume you have a BMI AMEX? that would be 3000 status miles if not.
Old Mar 15, 10, 5:18 am
Original Poster

thanks all - CAI wasn't on my radar at all - will have a closer look at TK and LX options to that part of the world.

CO direct to New York is an option - but it does blow the budget

Don't have the BMI AMEX - but have the BMI Mastercard Not many in my family who don't !
Old Mar 15, 10, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by vantheman View Post
Anybody have any thoughts?
Yes, why the OT...?
Old Mar 15, 10, 7:23 am

Programs: A3 gld, BA bron, KL silv, 6C plat, EH silv, EM, GT, HY, NH, NS, RT, SH, SW gold, BW, WY
Originally Posted by RAPC View Post
Just the small matter of doing that (i.e. TATL) for £250 in April or May....
£250 is tight but you might find you can do it for £270-£280 with open jaws. There were still 100% earning possibilities a week or so ago starting or finishing in DUB at £230 all in for dates in April and you should be able to pick up a cheapie positioning flight for no more than £50 one way on another airline. Check out the Mileage Run forum if you can't figure it out.
Old Mar 15, 10, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubman View Post
Yes, why the OT...?
After much deliberation, based on the list available and feeling I had to choose an option ...

Originally Posted by lhr baby View Post
There were still 100% earning possibilities a week or so ago starting or finishing in DUB at £230 all in for dates in April and you should be able to pick up a cheapie positioning flight for no more than £50 one way on another airline.
thanks lhr baby - I think I understand, for example, out from DUB to NYC back to BHX and a positioning flight to get back to BHD/BFS - I'll get back on to ITA !

Search this Thread