FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   OT: 2k Miles by end of May (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/1062985-2k-miles-end-may.html)

vantheman Mar 14, 2010 1:59 pm

2k Miles by end of May

Perhaps thinking too far ahead, but as I'm unlikely to have any business travel before the end of May, I'd like to be sure of hitting gold by doing a small mileage run.

Having spend the day on ITA, the options are not fantastic from DUB/BHD/BFS, too many fares in 0.25 or 0.5 buckets. Ideally the budget is £250 ( a Swiss business sale would be fantastic !, but unlikely to happen at this stage in the year from what I've read ), but would be prepared to pay a couple of quid more if the destination is worth hanging around for a couple of beers.

Anybody have any thoughts ? - pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

TheEngineer Mar 14, 2010 3:27 pm

Cairo for the weekend?

You could do a hop over to London (I typed out the below before I read your departure airports) and then to Cairo

Swiss economy fares £270 for LCY-ZRH-CAI

Books into T so 50% earning

LCY-ZRH = 600 (min) ZRH-CAI = 1706

So 2305 return in a 50% bucket.

Sample dates - 7 May out, 10 May back.

LHR is £1 more if that works better for you.

TE

ErasmusEBS Mar 14, 2010 3:33 pm

I would definitely make a TATL-run, see some friends in NYC and go for a nice brunch in Williamsburg before heading back. CO/US/UA (via LHR) would all be options since they all earn 100% and the trip will give you at least 10k miles if you are a bit innovative...

RAPC Mar 14, 2010 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by ErasmusEBS (Post 13574950)
I would definitely make a TATL-run, see some friends in NYC and go for a nice brunch in Williamsburg before heading back. CO/US/UA (via LHR) would all be options since they all earn 100% and the trip will give you at least 10k miles if you are a bit innovative...

Just the small matter of doing that for £250 in April or May....

ErasmusEBS Mar 14, 2010 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by RAPC (Post 13574973)
Just the small matter of doing that for £250 in April or May....

Sorry, missed that one :-)

TheEngineer Mar 14, 2010 4:25 pm

There is also BHX to CAI via IST on Turkish in U (50%) for £288.

You could get a BMI Baby flight over for about £45 return to BHX from BFS (not looked at connection times).

I realise we are bit over budget but I supect this is about the best option at the moment for the miles you are looking for.

jdbelfast Mar 14, 2010 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by vantheman (Post 13574505)
Perhaps thinking too far ahead, but as I'm unlikely to have any business travel before the end of May, I'd like to be sure of hitting gold by doing a small mileage run.

Having spend the day on ITA, the options are not fantastic from DUB/BHD/BFS, too many fares in 0.25 or 0.5 buckets. Ideally the budget is £250 ( a Swiss business sale would be fantastic !, but unlikely to happen at this stage in the year from what I've read ), but would be prepared to pay a couple of quid more if the destination is worth hanging around for a couple of beers.

Anybody have any thoughts ? - pointers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I assume you have a BMI AMEX? that would be 3000 status miles if not.

vantheman Mar 15, 2010 4:18 am

thanks all - CAI wasn't on my radar at all - will have a closer look at TK and LX options to that part of the world.

CO direct to New York is an option - but it does blow the budget

Don't have the BMI AMEX - but have the BMI Mastercard :) Not many in my family who don't !

clubman Mar 15, 2010 5:00 am

Originally Posted by vantheman (Post 13574505)
Anybody have any thoughts?

Yes, why the OT...?

lhr baby Mar 15, 2010 6:23 am

Originally Posted by RAPC (Post 13574973)
Just the small matter of doing that (i.e. TATL) for £250 in April or May....

£250 is tight but you might find you can do it for £270-£280 with open jaws. There were still 100% earning possibilities a week or so ago starting or finishing in DUB at £230 all in for dates in April and you should be able to pick up a cheapie positioning flight for no more than £50 one way on another airline. Check out the Mileage Run forum if you can't figure it out.

vantheman Mar 15, 2010 7:51 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 13577803)
Yes, why the OT...?

After much deliberation, based on the list available and feeling I had to choose an option ... :)

Originally Posted by lhr baby (Post 13578041)
There were still 100% earning possibilities a week or so ago starting or finishing in DUB at £230 all in for dates in April and you should be able to pick up a cheapie positioning flight for no more than £50 one way on another airline.

thanks lhr baby - I think I understand, for example, out from DUB to NYC back to BHX and a positioning flight to get back to BHD/BFS - I'll get back on to ITA !