Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T1 Lounges - The London Room (née Domestic Lounge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2010, 2:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot

Upon checking in at LHR last night I was advised that the downstairs area will be closed as of the 6th March for a refurbishment and only the top level will be open.

Has the top level been refurbished or was it just closed off?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 3:15 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
The top area looked closed when I was there last month. That said, I didn't really investigate, just saw no signage up to the old Diamond level. didn't see anyone head that way either.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
It was certainly closed off last night. They had blocked off the doors with several newspaper racks.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by sigma421
It was certainly closed off last night. They had blocked off the doors with several newspaper racks.
The top area has been closed for some time.

What I am asking is that during the time it has been closed has it been refurbished or has it been just been left as it was.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by LiviLion
Upon checking in at LHR last night I was advised that the downstairs area will be closed as of the 6th March for a refurbishment
Well that could only be good news and about time too.
Did they say anything about how long it will be closed for?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: A3*G, AC, IHG Plat AMB
Odd, I had just assumed that upstairs had been closed for some time. As a result, I didn't even look when I was through on Wednesday.

But here's hoping for something positive!
Old Feb 26, 2010, 11:55 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Word this evening is that the upstairs is unchanged from before, but that downstairs is going to get a total facelift when shut for refurbishment. No confirmation re. any hot food though!

A. (+ 2 other FTers!)
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:34 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
No 2 Heathrow?
Old Feb 27, 2010, 1:46 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
My only regret is that I will never have to see it.

Changes in life circumstances mean I have two more sectors with WW, one with BD and then I doubt I'll ever darken their doors again.

In the 17 years I have been flying with BD, I have seen them fall from being a high quality, full service, single cabin operator into an airline which tries to emulate the locos but still charges high end fares to some passengers. The lounges have transformed from the aspirational to the embarrassing - at a time when generally expectations from soft products have increased. I have watched route after route stripped away. It's a pity.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 6:47 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Mmmm, not sure what to think to be honest.

The Domestic lounge - which I visit once or twice a week - is to be frank, an embarrassment to BMI. Threadbare carpets, worn out furniture, a very meagre and mean snack / food selection, poor newspaper selection....... This is by a wide margin the worst airline lounge I have ever visited.

It's also pretty well packed at peak times, especially since the upstairs diamond club lounge was closed.

The upstairs lounge is smaller than downstairs, so it's going to be "sardine time" while they squash us all up there.

On the other hand, if we end up with a half decent lounge at the end of it all, then maybe it will have been worth it. But given the airline's poor record of bing interested in its domestic passengers, I won't hold my breath.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 9:10 am

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
But you are a *G. I thought the aim of all this "enhancement" was to encourage the *G's to use the *G lounge at LHR, thus leaving the domestic lounge for the Prem Econ tickets and *S card (including the temporary Blue Plus) holders? Why are you still going there?

As they are now giving away 3 months FREE *S to all Blue plus affected by the "enhancements", you can see why the lounge is packed.

The new regime has certainly worked for me. It encourages me to go to the *G lounge, have something to eat and drink in relaxed seating and shortly before my flight boards head down to the Gate 2 lounge in preparation for boarding. If the upstairs lounge starts to be used instead (ie smaller and fewer seats) you should definitely take yourself off!

Last edited by antichef; Feb 27, 2010 at 9:25 am
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:15 am

Although the *G lounge are now much more welcoming than before (it used to be a bit of an uphill battle as they kept explaining how there was the bmi lounge), I thought bmi had to pay for everyone that goes to that lounge and that they were keen for us to use their own lounge? If I have the time I certainly prefer going to the *G one, but it IS a total detour and once you've gone through to the UK gates there's no way back if your flight is delayed & your stuck in the crummy UK lounge.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alanjrobertson
once you've gone through to the UK gates there's no way back if your flight is delayed & your stuck in the crummy UK lounge.
Just go back out the usual exit and in through security again... Luckily I've not had to yet as BD very rarely has delays on dom routes, unlike BA.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:12 pm

LOL yes, you can do that but it's quite a hassle and you're in to the vagaries of security timings again. I also recall there being some problem with electronic boarding passes not working a second time round at security. You're taking a bit of gamble as to whether the delay will be definitely as long as they say.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by bmi goldenboy
Just go back out the usual exit and in through security again... Luckily I've not had to yet as BD very rarely has delays on dom routes, unlike BA.
Security give you funny looks if this happens btw - but can confirm I've done it a few times :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.