Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T1 Lounges - The London Room (née Domestic Lounge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LHR T1 Lounges - The London Room (née Domestic Lounge)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:01 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Mike_P
Do they do announcements in the London Room?
They were this morning but a couple of times in the last 2 weeks I've been advised the PA system wasnt working so to keep an eye on the departure screens.
Old Jun 17, 2010, 6:23 am

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
Do they do announcements in the London Room, as in the Great British Lounge they tell you at the start they don't do announcements. If they can do it in one then why not both?
Announcements were being made the other evening for other flights, and no mention was made to me when I arrived. Will be trying again next month so let's see if it's just me ...
Old Jun 17, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: ALL Accor Platinum
I've only been in a couple of times, all on a weekend in May. It was when the volcano kicked off again. Not sure if that had any bearing on announcements...
Old Jun 17, 2010, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Do they do announcements in the London Room, as in the Great British Lounge they tell you at the start they don't do announcements. If they can do it in one then why not both?
The staff in the then No. 1 lounge told me that they don't do announcements there because they're also the official lounge for a number of other airlines (i.e. all those that have an agreement to allow their *S members in) and they'd have to do announcements for them too if they did any at all which would kill the atmosphere in the lounge.
Old Jun 22, 2010, 9:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
If bmi intends to continue using the term 'London Room', you'd think they would actually have signage somewhere containing that name (if there is I haven't seen it). Even the new entrance with metal lettering on shiny black stone (same as the GBL) makes no mention........it says 'UK/Ireland Lounge'
Old Nov 7, 2010, 8:08 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Is it just me getting old or is the "London Room" turning rather dark and dingy? Was there twice this week on gloomy November days and it really fells dark and unpleasant, even reading a newspaper is a challenge.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

London Room Catering

The first time I've flown on a BD domestic since losing *G - can anyone confirm whether the catering in the London Room is still as bad as ever (i.e. no sandwiches, hot food, etc - just snacks)? What beers do they have at the moment?

I think it might make sense to eat first somewhere in the terminal (will have to look around) and then head to the domestic lounge for a quick drink before boarding.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond, BD Blue (RIP)
It's not great. There are packets of Kettle Chips, shortbread, some nuclear yellow pre-packed cheese and a couple of jars of sweets and that's about it. After 4pm some cake is brought out and before 11am there's a few super sweet pains au chocolats, some corn flakes and a chocolate cereal (I don't know what it is as I've never liked chocolate cereals). I'd eat in international departures. There are a few decent eating places toward the ID check on the left hand side (opposite end to the *G lounge).
Obviously make sure that you eat before you come through the ID check to gate 8 as then you'll be stuck with Costa.
Beers I believe are Stella and London Pride (I don't drink beer so could be totally wrong on that count). There's a basic selection of spirits (vodka, Bells whiskey, gin and a few more) a red wine and a white wine and a fridge full of mixers and minicans of Pepsi.
To complete the lounge review there are also a few computers with a terrible metal keyboard like you get on kiosks (don't use it except to check email, it will drive you insane). The wifi however is fairly quick and there is a reasonable selection of papers (Telegraph, FT, Mail,Independent and Times (although the Times tends to disappear quickly). The Independent spinoff i is also generally available on the airbridge.
Magazines include Time, The Economist, Shares, a few copies of Voyager and other titles such as What Franchise which hold no interest for me.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:30 am

I think the Star Alliance lounge is much better. Selection of hot food for one and lots of magazines for another. The drinks selection seems similar. Some parts are bright and other have lower lighting. Much better all round.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I admit with no shame that I always go to the *A lounge first for quick casserole, salad, sandwich, soup & cookie when on a domestic, which of course, stupidly includes DUB.

It would cost BD pennies to offer the same food as the GBL lounge. They have the catering contracts but just don't want to do it.

There are some new Kettle barbeque ridge crips in the London Room which are quite good.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:48 am

Programs: BD *G
Originally Posted by hugolover
I admit with no shame that I always go to the *A lounge first for quick casserole, salad, sandwich, soup & cookie when on a domestic, which of course, stupidly includes DUB.

It would cost BD pennies to offer the same food as the GBL lounge. They have the catering contracts but just don't want to do it.

There are some new Kettle barbeque ridge crips in the London Room which are quite good.
Can you use the *A lounge when flying domestic from T1?
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tino04
Yes as it is a Star Gold lounge, so as long as you are *G then yes.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only if you're a *G of some description. I'm not any more thanks to BD cutting the routes I used most so I can no longer use it. (first year status match, second year requalified easily, third year dropped to BD*S).

Traditional routine for many golds here was eat in the *A lounge and head to BD lounge for drinks.
Old Mar 16, 2011, 6:55 am

Programs: BD *G
Originally Posted by layz
Only if you're a *G of some description. I'm not any more thanks to BD cutting the routes I used most so I can no longer use it. (first year status match, second year requalified easily, third year dropped to BD*S).

Traditional routine for many golds here was eat in the *A lounge and head to BD lounge for drinks.
Great News - every day is indeed a school day
Old Mar 16, 2011, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great News - every day is indeed a school day
In the early days many staff would suggest that the bmi domestic lounge was the better option, but most don't seem to bother now. Even if one does all you have to say is that you prefer the *A lounge and you're aware the distance to the domestic gates and they'll happily let you in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.