Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Promo: Earn 5000 BMI miles per stay with Wyndham Hotel Group : Discussion Thread

Promo: Earn 5000 BMI miles per stay with Wyndham Hotel Group : Discussion Thread

Old Feb 9, 10, 8:57 pm

So the YQ surcharge is charged on award bookings? I know with US airways they do not charge the YQ surcharge on award tickets.

I was looking at using this award for a flight within europe but if the YQ surcharge is charged then it does not look like that good of a savings unless you find a really expensive destination you are going to.
Old Feb 10, 10, 12:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by David-A View Post
So, the question is, is it March or February?
Not to be flippant, but to me "ii) book a reservation for and complete a stay at a hotel participating in the Wyndham Rewards programme at a qualifying rate between 3 February 2010 and 28 February 2010" means it is February.

The "(iii) complete their stay by 28 March 2010. Members who check-out after 28 March 2010 will not receive any bonus miles." provision simply states that if you check into a Wyndham hotel by 28 Feb 10 and check out by 28 Mar 10, you'll receive credit/miles for this promo. If you check out on 29 Mar 10, you won't. This no credit after a 30-day stay is similar to a rule Starwood has, where you don't receive points for stays longer than 30 days.

(way around this w/ SPG is to book a 29-day stay to ensure you get full points/nights credit)

Originally Posted by David-A View Post
Actually I think GoldCircle was possibly agreeing it was unclear...
Not sure what Gold Circle meant...why don't we let GC answer that.

As promos go, the T&Cs seem fairly straightforward. The key will be Wyndham Rewards posting the stays quickly, then BMI posting the 5k bonus hopefully a few weeks later. I know people that have made stays and can already see them reflected in their Wyndham account history.

Best of luck in your BD earnings! ^
Old Feb 10, 10, 12:29 am

Programs: A3*G, QF PLATINUM, BA GOLD, VA GOLD, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SASfan View Post
Not to be flippant, but to me "ii) book a reservation for and complete a stay at a hotel participating in the Wyndham Rewards programme at a qualifying rate between 3 February 2010 and 28 February 2010" means it is February.

The "(iii) complete their stay by 28 March 2010. Members who check-out after 28 March 2010 will not receive any bonus miles." provision simply states that if you check into a Wyndham hotel by 28 Feb 10 and check out by 28 Mar 10, you'll receive credit/miles for this promo. If you check out on 29 Mar 10, you won't. This no credit after a 30-day stay is similar to a rule Starwood has, where you don't receive points for stays longer than 30 days.
Where they went wrong is to add the 'complete a stay' in the february section, as you do not need to complete your stay in february according to the next paragraph. The two conditions contradict themselves as both have different dates for 'complete a stay'
Old Feb 10, 10, 12:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by abcx View Post
Well, on further thought, I've decided that this is not good value after all. Here's why:

Zone 3 to Zone 1 rt in C is: 37500 + 210GBP = 37.5k + $330 + YQ of at least $250.
Cost = $300 (@$40/night * 7.5 nights) + $330 + $250 = $880.

The same could have been had for $700 on US during the TIB promotion. So, good for a C class ticket if you didn't splurge on TIB, but not that great otherwise. Anyone care to dispute my analysis?
abcx, I agree with your math on Z1-Z3 costing 37.5k + 210 GBP + tax.

If by TIB, you mean the US promo where you received a 250% bonus after x partner activities, with the most lucrative partner being Track It Back, we're not likely to see that type of promo come around that often...one reason people were buying millions of miles and mentioning it on CNN. Of course, we're still waiting for those huge bonuses to post in March, so we'll see if/when they do post.

US Airways award chart

The current US award chart makes it easy to gameplan US-Europe awards in C - it's 100k miles. US doesn't differentiate between Z1 and Z2 like BMI does, it's just Europe. US is running a 100% bonus on purchased or gifted miles until the end of Mar 10, so it's still possible to get a C award for ~$1478...not bad for a TATL.

And, if you have any Starpoints laying around, transfer them to US while the 20% (30% for US elites) hotel partner transfer bonus is ongoing.

Last edited by SASfan; Feb 10, 10 at 12:40 am Reason: spacing
Old Feb 10, 10, 8:08 am

yeah
i was thinking the same. BMI with the taxes will kill the deal. YQ surcharges are super expensive to anywhere, even to US as I have said before, sometimes 70% of full fare Y class. : (
Old Feb 10, 10, 8:16 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by libuser View Post
yeah
i was thinking the same. BMI with the taxes will kill the deal. YQ surcharges are super expensive to anywhere, even to US as I have said before, sometimes 70% of full fare Y class. : (
The beauty of Diamond Club is for premium cabin redemptions, not Y class redemptions. Even when you factor in YQ, if you shop around with regards to the airlines used you (and their YQ charges) can still get exceptionally good value compared with other programs.

Diamond Club won't be the best choice for everyone, so doing research (as you have done) is the best way to come to an informed decision based on your personal circumstances.
Old Feb 10, 10, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by RAPC View Post
The beauty of Diamond Club is for premium cabin redemptions, not Y class redemptions. Even when you factor in YQ, if you shop around with regards to the airlines used you (and their YQ charges) can still get exceptionally good value compared with other programs.

Diamond Club won't be the best choice for everyone, so doing research (as you have done) is the best way to come to an informed decision based on your personal circumstances.
I agree. Diamond Club redemptions are good for their one way capability and premium cabin value. I like to keep some BD miles in my account for when I need that one way C/J booking to help out with a trip that would just be too expensive to book otherwise but possibly isnt so expensive as an open jaw and then complete via a BD award booking.

This promo is a good way to top up the account. I have been critical of the fees in the past but BD miles are still good to have in your portfolio.
Old Feb 10, 10, 8:43 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Won't be able to use this, frustratingly.. the only place I will need a hotel this month will be Vienna, and they don't have any hotels there.
Old Feb 10, 10, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Of course there's also the small matter that to the overwhelming majority of DC members, this is a good deal given where the overwhelming majority of them live.
Old Feb 10, 10, 10:28 pm
Kyo

Programs: Ex-BD55 + KF*G + BA Gold + IC RA(?) + OZ*G + SPG*P
Question - Anyone have any experience with Treff Hotels?

They seem to be affiliated/under the Ramada group. I've got a trip to MUC next Tuesday and a quick overnighter here would be ideal for a quick 5k boost to the BD account.

My guess is it doesn't qualify so I've made a non-guaranteed reservation for now.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 11, 10, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Originally Posted by Kyo View Post
Question - Anyone have any experience with Treff Hotels?

They seem to be affiliated/under the Ramada group. I've got a trip to MUC next Tuesday and a quick overnighter here would be ideal for a quick 5k boost to the BD account.

My guess is it doesn't qualify so I've made a non-guaranteed reservation for now.

Thanks in advance!
But they don't seem to be affiliated with Wyndham Rewards so that so of negates the promo don't you think?
Old Feb 11, 10, 3:48 pm
Kyo

Programs: Ex-BD55 + KF*G + BA Gold + IC RA(?) + OZ*G + SPG*P
Sadly, I have to agree with you - after further research I'm instead checking into Ramada BKK on Monday and I won't even be staying there (pre-booked the SGS during SPG's Jan Sale last month but I won't have much other opportunities to hit 4 stays otherwise).

It's SPG for the MUC nights also now...
Old Feb 11, 10, 4:03 pm

Programs: Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
If I was to include cost of travel to not-so-near hotel, how does 1.4ppm sound?

If I do 2 over next two weekends at least for one of them I get see a new city, the other would be purely 'change of scenery'
Old Feb 12, 10, 2:07 am

Programs: Various memberships
Originally Posted by jms_uk View Post
If I was to include cost of travel to not-so-near hotel, how does 1.4ppm sound?

If I do 2 over next two weekends at least for one of them I get see a new city, the other would be purely 'change of scenery'
Not too bad - my benchmark is 1.25ppm as I can earn "as many as I want" at that rate (see BMI Mastercard Tax thread).

However be aware that the 5000 is per stay, not per night and most hotels treat 2 bookings that run back to back as one stay when it comes to miles earning etc.

TE
Old Feb 12, 10, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post

However be aware that the 5000 is per stay, not per night and most hotels treat 2 bookings that run back to back as one stay when it comes to miles earning etc.

TE
Grrrr - I wish I had realised this earlier. I stuipidly didn't register the part about it being 'per stay' and not 'per night' Now my 3 night stay will only earn me 5000 points, not 15000 And I took the pre-pay option as well. Guess I'll have to look at what options I have.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: