Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption Help: The DC redemption "Is this Route Allowed ?" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption Help: The DC redemption "Is this Route Allowed ?" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2010, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
The DC redemption "Is this Route Allowed ?" Master Thread

With the ICC recently starting to apply the redemption rules a lot more rigidly, there have been a number of questions in a variety of threads asking whether a particular route is legal, or for feedback on the best routing options between two points.

To assist with general housekeeping and to help others find answers to questions that they may have as well, this thread is here to host all redemption routing questions that people may have.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Zone 2 (S Europe) to Zone 3 (USA) one-way award

So if I want to fly Y class IST-LHR-LAX, is the cost only 12.5k miles + #85? I don't understand how the "connecting flights if dest is in Zones 1 or 2" works.
Old Jan 26, 2010, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by SFO_FT
So if I want to fly Y class IST-LHR-LAX, is the cost only 12.5k miles + #85? I don't understand how the "connecting flights if dest is in Zones 1 or 2" works.
You're describing a Z2-Z3 award flight and for this routing the connection flight 'fee' does not apply. The cost would be 25000 + £170 + Taxes for the return, half for a 1 way. Depending on the route taxes will add about 300 USD for a 1 way.

It does if you fly more than 1 sector within Z1 & Z2 and end your journey there, for example LHR-ZRH-FRA (London, Zurich, Frankfurt). I think it's designed to make you op for direct routings within Europe.

Last edited by allanhuk; Jan 26, 2010 at 4:05 pm
Old Jan 26, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Many thanks. I had assumed as such, but DC's wording is unclear -- yours much better -- it applies to awards "solely within Zones 1 and/or 2" NOT to awards that end in Zones 1 or 2, which implies a diff't situation.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: QF, AA, BD, PC, HH, Hertz
I am thinking of using up the DC points I have and am trying to work out if it is permitted to route a ticket from zone 7 to zone 11 via zone 1? Or alternatively Zone 7 to zone 3 via zone 1?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
7 to 11 is a massive long route, so I doubt they would allow that. You probably need to split it into a Z7-Z1 and a Z1-Z11 redemption.

Z7 to Z3 via Z1 you may well be able to do depending on the routing, but expect the route to come under some scrutiny.

If you are thinking of going via Z1 on these routings with the aim of a stopover, then it isn't possible as you cannot stopover in zones 1 or 2 on redemptions like the above. You would be allowed less than 24 hours in Zone 1 so that it remained a connection at best.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: BMI
Acceptable routing to Australia going west?

Hi all,

Just a quick question re. reward tickets going to Australia? Is it possible to go west i.e. via LAX or SFO or will I be charged for a zone 1 to 3 and then a zone 3 to 9? Does the same apply for New Zealand?

Also, I note on ANA a lot of flights are showing as 'on request' does this really mean not available? Is there another tool to use to get a definitive answer or is the ICC only?

Thanks

Jon
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On request merely means that *net communications are down. There has been quite a bit of this lately.

On routing to Australia and NZ, either east or west should be OK.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
No problem going west to NZL/AUS via LAX/SFO/YVR. I recently booked LHR-YVR-AKL-MEL. Best way to do it if you can is to go east outbound and west return, that way the flight time is much reduced.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:19 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Best way to do it if you can is to go east outbound and west return, that way the flight time is much reduced.
Do you mean (eg) LHR-HKG-SYD out then SYD-LAX-LHR return?

Doesn't that make the trip into an RTW?

Sorry if I am being stupid - maybe I am getting confused over whether you mean 'west' relative to the point of departure or the destination?
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:49 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
Do you mean (eg) LHR-HKG-SYD out then SYD-LAX-LHR return?

Doesn't that make the trip into an RTW?

Sorry if I am being stupid - maybe I am getting confused over whether you mean 'west' relative to the point of departure or the destination?
Not if it is booked as two seperate one-way bookings. I would definately go this route if it is available, although NZ availability has been scarce lately
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Regardless of whether it's 2 one ways or not, that routing does indeed meet the criteria of a RTW itinerary.

I think FlyingDentist means to travel east on the outbound, and then return via the same/similar route - but I'm not sure.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:04 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Regardless of whether it's 2 one ways or not, that routing does indeed meet the criteria of a RTW itinerary.
How can two legitimate one way tickets possibly be considered a RTW.

Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:11 am

Programs: BA Silver
I doubt they would consider LHR-HKG-SYD-YVR-LHR for example as a RTW. This is just 2 genuine acceptable routings getting from/to SYD. Only if you start adding more than the permitted one stopover in each direction would it be considered a RTW ticket. For example you can book a revenue ticket LHR-HKG-AKL-LAX-LHR on NZ and they price it as a LHR-AKL return flight, not a RTW.

If booked as 2 one ways they definately wouldn't consider it as such.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You COULD ask for a RTW award based on such an itinerary. But that would be pretty stupid, would it not?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.