Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption Help: The DC redemption "Is this Route Allowed ?" Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption Help: The DC redemption "Is this Route Allowed ?" Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2010, 5:08 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Shimon
I do realize SAA is South African Airways. The standard route from Perth to JFK is using SAA.
Yes but via JNB. Your post talks about PER-SIN-FRA-JFK only. Some people may not make a mental jump like that and get confused by your post.
Old Dec 23, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: BD Diamond Club
Lhr-ist-jnb-dur

Hey guys,

First of all I just want to say how great this forum is! I've been reading it for what seems like years and never needed to post however I just wanted to get some clarification on something.

I checked staralliance.com for *A routes from LHR-DUR and the routing via IST seemed pretty interesting. Does DC consider IST as Europe ie no stopover. as it would be great if possible to route this way and stopover rather than fly SA (LHR-JNB-DUR).

Also, any advice on service / seat quality on airlines flying the Europe-JNB routes (LX, LH, SA, TK, TP)?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 23, 2010, 4:07 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
IST is classed as Europe so technically no stopovers.

However, if you pick your flights carefully, and there are no married segment issues, you can have up to a 23 hour 59 minute connection in IST.

If you are travelling in business then out of the airlines you list, SA, LX would be my first choices then probably TK.

Welcome to FT .jack ^
Old Dec 23, 2010, 5:30 pm

Thanks Tiger_lily.

Also would it be worth flying out of ZRH (saving approx. Ł100 in taxes and fees) on LX? At the moment it's Ł57 one-way LHR-ZRH on BA so in reality I'm only saving Ł43.

How would you rate SA C-class vs LX? Any creative routings to DUR ie somewhere interesting I could have a stopover other than JNB?

Thanks again :-)
Old Dec 24, 2010, 3:43 am

Programs: BD-G(RIP); BA-bronze
Originally Posted by .jack
Thanks Tiger_lily.

Any creative routings to DUR ie somewhere interesting I could have a stopover other than JNB?

Thanks again :-)
You have options in North, West and East Africa (and maybe the Middle east) but this would be in addition to a transit at JNB (or CPT)

Have a look at NBO, DAR, CAI or even LOS depending on what appeals to you.

CAI has the advantage it is ex LHR on either BD or MS.

One final point about positioning flights to begin your trip in Europe - you are running the risk (as happened this last week ex LHR) of your first flight being cancelled causing you to miss the main part of your trip. Make sure your insurance would cover this.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Thanks Tiger_lily.

Also would it be worth flying out of ZRH (saving approx. Ł100 in taxes and fees) on LX? At the moment it's Ł57 one-way LHR-ZRH on BA so in reality I'm only saving Ł43.
Not worth it IMHO. The cost savings are not that much to warrant a ride in Economy to ZRH and risk missing a connection due to delays.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 5:22 am
SRA

Programs: BMI Gold, BA Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz President
Last month I managed to book 4 people into PEK-HKG-NRT. I needed to buy tickets for two more people and over the last two days have spoken to 5 people who all say this route is not valid and can't be booked as one way miles plus cash z8-z8. Is there a crackdown happening?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 7:04 am

I think I agree... for Ł43 and risk being stuck isn't really worth it . So I wanted to get your opinion on this routing.

LHR-CAI(stopover)-JNB-DUR
DUR-JNB-CPT(stopover)-LHR

Would this work on a Z1-6 return?

Thank you.
Jack
Old Dec 24, 2010, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SRA
Last month I managed to book 4 people into PEK-HKG-NRT. I needed to buy tickets for two more people and over the last two days have spoken to 5 people who all say this route is not valid and can't be booked as one way miles plus cash z8-z8. Is there a crackdown happening?
Its not a valid routing. They won't allow it.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: BD-G(RIP); BA-bronze
I think I agree... for Ł43 and risk being stuck isn't really worth it . So I wanted to get your opinion on this routing.

LHR-CAI(stopover)-JNB-DUR
DUR-JNB-CPT(stopover)-LHR

Would this work on a Z1-6 return?

Thank you.
Jack
Should be fine but in order to have two stop overs (one each way) you must book as two singles. A single is half the miles (or miles plus cash) so no penalty for doing it this way, plus if your plans change you can change (or even cancel) your flights in one direction without touching the other booking.

Only 7.9% further via CAI and JNB than point to point which is well within limits. Coming back it's 19.9% over shortest route which should still be ok. If it isn't, are there direct flights DUR-CPT (maybe a leg in economy if there's no business cabin) or you could always redeem CPT-LHR and pay cash in between the two.

Good luck and let us know what you manage to book.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:38 pm

Thanks rareair. I'll try calling the ICC on 27th and get it booked.

So regarding routings, what makes it valid or not? Obviously you can't go LHR-MAN via NRT or anything ridiculous like that but what about something like LHR-ZRH-DXB(stopover)-BKK?
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
That routing looks fine to me. There are shorter, more direct ones, but I reckon you'll be fine. If they say no, then HUACA*.

The rule of thumb is that you must go in the same general direction, or no back-tracking, as we say round here. Short connecting flights in the wrong direction are fine e.g. LHR-FRA-EWR is perfectly ok, but LHR-SFO-EWR is not.

*Hang up and call again.
Old Dec 24, 2010, 12:58 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
You'll probably be able to get that one through
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
You'll probably be able to get that one through
Which one? The South Africa one? or the theoretical BKK via DXB one? or both? :-D
Old Dec 24, 2010, 2:48 pm

Both

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.