Search

UA and its fancy Y-seating

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
UA and its fancy Y-seating

I understand that of the few privileges that UA gives other *gold, seating in the "premium" part of the Y cabin is not one of them.

Their website offers me an upgrade to these seats for $120 or so to SFO (747) and around $90 on the way back from IAD (777).

I'm not over fussed about the long but daytime flight out, but for the equivalent cost of a three-star hotel night, more leg-room might be useful on the flight home. Can anyone share their experience of these seats?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:03 am

Programs: BA Bronze, A3*G, TK*S
I would say that for a long-haul flight, it's worth it. I at least find the extra few inches of leg room to make things a fair bit more comfortable. Note that Economy Plus *only* adds extra leg room, seat widths and service are all just the same as standard Economy.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I understand that of the few privileges that UA gives other *gold, seating in the "premium" part of the Y cabin is not one of them.

Their website offers me an upgrade to these seats for $120 or so to SFO (747) and around $90 on the way back from IAD (777).

I'm not over fussed about the long but daytime flight out, but for the equivalent cost of a three-star hotel night, more leg-room might be useful on the flight home. Can anyone share their experience of these seats?
Well, they are identical to the other Y seats in every respect aside from having a few extra inches.

I guess the most important question is: how long are your legs? I'm a touch under 6' and I would tend to buy up to E+ rather than be crammed into standard Y, but it's touch and go. Most of my Y flying is now with AC whose standard pitch is 32" which I find tolerable. UA's 31" I find very cramped. If you're any taller than me, then if I were you I'd get my credit card out.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:05 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL , IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold - 2009 FT Fantasy Football Champion
The E+ seat is the same economy seat used for Y pax. The difference is extra inches of legroom, this is the only difference. So if a few extra inches of leg room is what you are looking for then E+ fits the bill.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
I've pretty much always got E+ seating on UA, but you do need to play the game. Basically, your best bet is not to have any seats allocated. On busy flights, you will pretty much always be prioritised to E+ if the E- seats are all taken.

That said, on the SFO leg in particular, E+ does make a difference. I wouldn't be as fussed on the IAD flight though.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: Mucci, BMI*G, M&M SEN, FB Gold, PC Plat, Father of GhettoIFE
As stated, the seats are indentical in features (ie.. they may recline, they may have IFE inside them if it's a 767/777)

777 (Dependent on config) 34-36" - I find it's a reasonable comprise in space, and good enough for an IAD-LHR hop.
747 - 34" (unless exit row) - Don't waste your money. Head to Rows 59, 60 or 61 in the B or J seats (superior legroom with a nice storage cubby).

I've documented both:
747 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ip-report.html
777 - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...d-back-ua.html
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I agree that it makes a difference, though it's not a separate class like BD Premium Economy.

If you expect to be on UA again, or if you're flying with someone, UA offers an Economy Plus annual plan: a year of E+ for yourself and one travel companion for, IIRC, USD 349. That's less than twice what you'd pay for the two flights you listed, and will also get you E+ SFO-IAD if you're on UA for that part of your trip. You have to be an Mileage Plus member to buy this, but you don't have to credit your UA flights to MP. Price goes up to USD 425 on 4 January.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:42 am

Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Efrem
You have to be an Mileage Plus member to buy this, but you don't have to credit your UA flights to MP. Price goes up to USD 425 on 4 January.
I was given to understand that IN THEORY you had to credit flights to MP to use this. There may be ways around it, of course.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Avenarius
I was given to understand that IN THEORY you had to credit flights to MP to use this. There may be ways around it, of course.
There used to be, but some gate agents (especially in the US) will remove the E+ seating if you are not crediting to UA. Historically it was an easy switch, but early this year UA refreshed agents on this, leading to it being harder to do so.

YMMV though and some people may still have success with this old method, but it isn't guaranteed by any stretch.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I think if you pay for E+ as a one off or through annual membership then you can credit as you wish. It is access to E+ through Mileage Plus status (including Associate Premier status) that causes the problems. And yes, they are now ferocious at kicking you back out of E+ in those cases.
Originally Posted by Avenarius
Well, they are identical to the other Y seats in every respect aside from having a few extra inches.

I guess the most important question is: how long are your legs? I'm a touch under 6' and I would tend to buy up to E+ rather than be crammed into standard Y, but it's touch and go. Most of my Y flying is now with AC whose standard pitch is 32" which I find tolerable. UA's 31" I find very cramped. If you're any taller than me, then if I were you I'd get my credit card out.
Spot on. There is nothing fancy about UA seats anywhere in Y, and the only reason to buy E+ is because E- is so cramped. I pay up because I couldn't contemplate a long-haul to the west coast of the US in 31".

Bear in mind you're paying for the guarantee of being in the better seats; if the cabin is full, you could gamble on being one of the lucky ones who end up there by default. More often than not, I find myself sitting in E+ surrounded by those who have not had to pay $$$. Don't forget to keep your credit card in your pocket if you want an alcoholic drink, too.

I flew Delta the other day in Y and the seat was 32" and perfectly comfortable with much better IFE than UA, better service than UA and US, and free beer and wine in generous cups. UA is not the market leader it once was.

Last edited by ajamieson; Dec 14, 2009 at 10:07 am
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:05 am

And even BMI manages at least 32" in Economy on what remains of the A330 fleet.

1" can make all the difference.... in seat pitch....
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:28 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
All the main points have been raised below, however one thing to point out is that it is actually quiet difficult to book E+ if your ticket is not booked on the UA website. Last month I was on a BD ticket (on UA metal) and the website would not let me book E+ even with the UA code. Website support in those cases can help (I was greeted with "we appreciate your business as a *G), of course on the day I wanted to add it their systems were down, while they got the seats they could not take the money of the CC (it's not just BD with dodgy systems). The agent asked me to call back to pay. When I told him if they appreciated my business as *G they should call back, never heard from them again and got E+ both ways free.

Is it worth it? E- is terrible, E+ is tolerable. Service and catering is appalling in both.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:05 pm

Programs: not a lot
Someone else can correct me if I am wrong but if you can get hold of a 3P nomination from someone then you can get E+ for free if you put your UA number in the booking.

Have a look in CC.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:16 pm

Indeed - 3P Nomination will give you *S and access to the E+ Inventory.

Or you fly 25k of EQM flights and get UA Premier (2P/*S)...

Or buy E+ access...

Or fly a different airline which has a reasonable seat pitch...
Old Dec 14, 2009, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kevincm

Or fly a different airline which has a reasonable seat pitch...
Which coming from you (as a fellow UA punishment class veteran) is a bit rich

Same here though, although UA still price up pretty well vs CO at on the routes I'd want to travel, so they continue to get mugs like me onto the plane!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.