Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The consolidated 'Family Membership' thread : launched 1 Dec '09

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The consolidated 'Family Membership' thread : launched 1 Dec '09

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:32 pm

Programs: Yorkshire Coastliner
Originally Posted by E14 26C
Do you think Gran's death certificate would count - I can't seem to find her passport (thought it was with her teeth but it's not)
Old Feb 15, 2010, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Do you think Gran's death certificate would count - I can't seem to find her passport (thought it was with her teeth but it's not)
Her pension book will do....I take it your still cashing it?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO PL
Talking

Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by fly2nrt
They want 2 photo ID's for each member. How am I supposed to get them two photo ID's for my kids?
Are you sure that the real issue is getting two forms of ID for your children and not that you enrolled them as adults and thus took advantage of the enrollment bonus which you weren't entitled to??
Old Feb 17, 2010, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Lisa40403
Are you sure that the real issue is getting two forms of ID for your children and not that you enrolled them as adults and thus took advantage of the enrollment bonus which you weren't entitled to??
Obviously someone without kids.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:07 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by IMH
What ID do they usually show when flying internationally?
Originally Posted by fly2nrt
They don't.
So they don't have passports then?
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: not a lot
Interesting assumption to make.

It was quite possible on a recent promotion to enroll someone as the system did not ask for DOB. This was after family membership was rolled out so under 18's could join. The promo T&C's did not state only open to over 18's.

You could then add that person to your family account as a child.

If that is what has been done then I see no issue whatsover.

If however, people have been signing up their pets or non-existent family members then they only have themselves to blame.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Originally Posted by camille55
Many thanks in advance if anyone can help with this.

I recently set-up a Family Membership and, as "Head of Account" invited my parents and wife to join, who did so successfully. Now I wish to add 3 children but, ideally, I would like for them (and the HHA!) to benefit from a sign-up bonus.

Perusing these pages, I stumbled upon Clubman's helpful link above. The only problem is that the T&C's on that link state not available for under-18's.

So, I wonder if anyone could assist on which of the following is best way to achieve this: -

1. Use the above link to sign the kids upto DC (regardless of the T&C's), then log-in to my account and invite them to join the HHA via the "Invite a Family Member" button; or

2. Log into my account and just enrol the kids 'direct' into the HHA using the "Enrol Under 18's" button (although I assume this means wil not get any sign-up bonus).

The kids have flights tomorrow morning on LH (that I am hoping they can earn on), so any guidance today on this would be great.

....which is why I asked that question (about enrolling kids & getting a sign-in bonus) in my above post.

I am relatively new to FT ( & I find it incredibly helpful!). Call me naive, but are there really people out there who would enrol a kid as an adult, just to get a 3k/5k/whatever sign-up bonus!? I mean when you book a flight, reward or otherwise, and a minor is on the booking, you need to give the DOB - so when you then go and add the DC number, it will be obvious to DC that something is not right!

As it happens, I signed the kids up in my HHA as KIDS and, as others who have done the same will tell you, their DC membership number comes with the prefix "10001xxxxxx". The adults' prefix is "00000xxxetc"
Old Feb 17, 2010, 11:31 am

Programs: Centurion, VS Gold, EK Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Jumeirah Gold
Originally Posted by LiviLion
Interesting assumption to make.

It was quite possible on a recent promotion to enroll someone as the system did not ask for DOB. This was after family membership was rolled out so under 18's could join. The promo T&C's did not state only open to over 18's.

You could then add that person to your family account as a child.

If that is what has been done then I see no issue whatsover.

If however, people have been signing up their pets or non-existent family members then they only have themselves to blame.
Was not aware of this. Thanks for the input, LiviLion. I always thought DC was for over 18's only.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 1:04 pm
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
are there really people out there who would enrol a kid as an adult, just to get a 3k/5k/whatever sign-up bonus!?
A little reading will show that it is highly likely that there's a minority out there prepared to do that and more. Fortunately, it appears from this thread that DC is doing a little more to reduce the number of accounts (and miles) open in the names of budgies, non-flying babies and deceased grandparents.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by LiviLion
The promo T&C's did not state only open to over 18's.
AFAIK one of the T&Cs (not sure if the promo or the general DC) state that you have to be 18 to join.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: not a lot
AFAIK one of the T&Cs (not sure if the promo or the general DC) state that you have to be 18 to join.
Having just checked the Diamond Club T&C's it still states under section 2:

Membership is only open to:

* individuals over the age of 18.
This is quite obviously untrue and given how long family membership has been available is shocking.

As under 18's earn status miles and thus can earn silver/gold cards and the associated benefits therein then I find it bizarre (but not unexpected) the online T&C's can still state this.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 3:30 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
As it happens, I signed the kids up in my HHA as KIDS and, as others who have done the same will tell you, their DC membership number comes with the prefix "10001xxxxxx". The adults' prefix is "00000xxxetc"
Not true. The mother in law's account starts with a 1. Anything created after the new system was implemented seems to follow this pattern.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Partly right........ if you follow the Family Membership link it'll inform you that amongst the benefits of a Family membership are;

Start earning destinations miles from under 18s travel
Then just in case you miss that it says on the next page;

As a Head of Account, you can access all you need to manage your account, including, inviting members, enrolling under 18's and transferring your family's destinations miles in to your Diamond Club account.
Of course if you looked at the main DC T&Cs first as you did and as LiviLion said you would be right in saying that under 18s cannot join under their own steam but can join as long as they are part of a family membership.............I thunk.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
Not true. The mother in law's account starts with a 1. Anything created after the new system was implemented seems to follow this pattern.
Ok. I made that assumption as the website gave me "1001 etc" for kids I enrolled. I stand corrected. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.