Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

BMI announcement : 600 jobs, LHR-AMS/TLV/KBP/ALP routes, 9 aircraft cut

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI announcement : 600 jobs, LHR-AMS/TLV/KBP/ALP routes, 9 aircraft cut

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
maybe slightly off-topic, but shouldn't someone at bmi have noticed that the headline banner saying " Latest News:- bmi suspends services " on the website frontpage is not exactly the message they are trying to convey ?
You just couldn't make it up. This is SO our bmi.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 11:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
maybe slightly off-topic, but shouldn't someone at bmi have noticed that the headline banner saying " Latest News:- bmi suspends services " on the website frontpage is not exactly the message they are trying to convey ?
That's my thought, too.

The main part of the screen reads:

Our flights to worldwide destinations make business a pleasure.
Book today and you will be flying to..

Cairo
Amman
Moscow

Book today
Worldwide destinations indeed.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:10 pm

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
Originally Posted by Skymonster
2. Bmi says that going forward the airline will “focus on routes serving oil, energy and emerging markets with a particular focus on Business Class customers and those visiting friends and relatives”
So they are not focusing on all those tourists wanting to visit Baku etc...
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:20 pm

Programs: Diamond Club, Krisflyer, BA Exec
Originally Posted by bmifly
The writing was on the wall for a A330s once the two Manchester planes moved to Heathrow and were insanely used on short-ish mid-haul flights. On the Cairo route there was hardly enough time to get a couple of hours of sleep in business. It was a complete misuse of the excellent flat-bed business seats.
bmifly
the demise of the A330's is sad. Personally I will not sit on an A321 for 5+ hours so I will miss the A330 on the CAI route and use another carrier. Yes, agreed, the business seats were misused but at 6'3" PE or up the front was a very comfortable way to travel.

So, its LX via ZUR on the A340 or MS on the dry 777.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
Originally Posted by seaskybound
going from 2X widebody a day to nothing? If loads are down shouldn't they go down to once a day or narrowbodies?.
I'd imagine with the cost of the A330 leases it wasn't feasible to keep them - coupled with the planned utilization of the narrowbody fleet after rationalisation it might not have made sense to keep the route going, especially if the loads weren't bringing in revenue
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Did someone see that before today, the banner "book today and fly to ..." was CAI, TLV and DME, but today it has changed to CAI, AMM and DME. bmi's IT is quicker than I thought

Now put the A321s on the Saudi routes and put the A330 on the BEY rotation
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:36 pm
G_G
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK E+
Very sad for the 600 people losing their job
I really hope that this will help the others to keep theirs
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by gordies
the demise of the A330's is sad. Personally I will not sit on an A321 for 5+ hours so I will miss the A330 on the CAI route and use another carrier.
While I would miss (will miss) the A330's there is nothing wrong with J on the Mid Haul A321's.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:16 pm

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by Bralo20
All Star Alliance carriers were using the BD lounge since it was the Star Alliance Gold lounge in BRU but lately more and more people were send to the SN lounge instead. Unfortunately I cancelled my flight to LAS within 2 weeks otherwise I could see where UA is sending his passengers those days but I've read and heard that UA was also sending passengers to SN's lounge but on other days it was again BD's lounge.

I think it will become clear when SN joins Star next month
Not really true. There is a quite large SK-lounge in BRU, used not only by SK, but also other *A
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clubman
While I would miss (will miss) the A330's there is nothing wrong with J on the Mid Haul A321's.
Indeed. Perfectly comfy for a 5-6 hour day sector. 10 years ago the seat was pretty much every airlines long-haul C class set up.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Funny you should mention that.
When I first heard the memo had been released (but not the contents), I checked the bmi trade website. There it had/has the same 'bmi suspends service' but it's not a clickable hyperlink - just the headline!
I was rather shocked for a minute or two to say the least! A quick check in a few other places though and I got the full picture.
Originally Posted by xdh
Well, better only 600 jobs being lost than all the jobs being lost.
As long as it's not those who caused this mess that stay
Originally Posted by xdh
Maybe it can be turned around.

I do wonder what the point of bmi is at times. If it only make about £15 million profit a year or so ago and lost £100 million in the last year then that means it only needs one really bad year in seven to wipe out all the last cycle's profits. Given that bad years happen regularly for airlines then I don't see any value in the company. It's too small to be able to cope with the bad times especially now it needs £200 million to keep running.
I think bmi could be turned around. I think this might be the turning point towards the right (a?) direction.

In addition to what's been mentioned previously, I do also wonder if some of the current costs are because someone has been scamming a pretty penny from the company (a bit like that expensive lease setup and the allegations surrounding that).
Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors Diamond; A3 *Nothing ; BA Exec. Club Gold
Ams

Very sorry to hear about such a big number of job losses at BMI and I do hope this is not a first step to be followed by more.

On a more selfish note, as a Dutchman living in London I am disappointed there is no Star Alliance direct flight between London and Amsterdam anymore. That said I felt the flights where always pretty well filled and the pricing was not the lowest in the market but as a Gold card holder I preferred BMI. BA and KL FFP's just dont appeal to me but it seems I dont have a choice anymore.

Globalist
Old Nov 25, 2009, 2:54 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AC Aéroplan, Accor ALL
I agree that it's outrageous to read " Latest News:- bmi suspends services" right on the first page people see when they're trying to book a ticket. The ambiguous wording makes it seem like they're closing-up shop.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
My sincere sympathies to the 600 who have lost their jobs. I've started following the BMI forum since I created/credited an account for the StarMegaDo, and at Seeheim was given lots of input on how to get top tier. Now I'm wondering if it's worth it? Also, as someone who used to do LHR-AMS, I'll miss that. Gues it will be now FRA-AMS (originating being in the US to LHR & evidently now FRA). Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Action Man
The ambiguous wording makes it seem like they're closing-up shop.
Well they might as well for all the confidence that instills into potential punters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.