Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

BMI announcement : 600 jobs, LHR-AMS/TLV/KBP/ALP routes, 9 aircraft cut

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BMI announcement : 600 jobs, LHR-AMS/TLV/KBP/ALP routes, 9 aircraft cut

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by luitje
Any clue on when AMS, BRU and KBP will be dropped? Starting January 1st 2010? Where will the slots go?
PPRuNe suggestion Brussels, Kiev, Tel Aviv and Aleppo to go Jan 2010, Amsterdam to go at the end of the winter season, and Palma and Venice not coming back for the summer.

Although TLV goes, no mention of CAI being dropped (despite competition with fellow *A airline Egyptair) - so with only one A330 left, presumably CAI goes back down to A321 ops? How long before that route gets handed on a plate to Egyptair?

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by ajamieson
With so few aircraft and flights left, I see little point in keeping the bmi brand at all in future.
IMHO this is the worst possible scenario; should this culminate in BA being the only alliance-based mainline carrier operating domestic flights within the UK with the absence of competition then it will be a black day for UK domestic air passengers. I'm all for maintaining and hopefully expanding UK regional connections to European *A hubs but not at the expense of *A domestic connedctions to other *A longhaul flights out of LHR.

From SkyNews...

The carrier, formerly British Midland Airways, said the plans involved a reduction in planes and routes and the possible loss of at least 600 jobs.

The job reductions would come from all areas of its business, it said.

"The number of full-time equivalent jobs at risk of redundancy is expected to be approximately 600. However further job cuts cannot be ruled out," bmi said.

Announcing that it was suspending loss-making routes, bmi said it was reducing the number of planes in its international operation from 39 to 30.

Flights from Heathrow to Brussels, Tel Aviv and Kiev, as well as to Aleppo in Syria, will be suspended in January and the service from Heathrow to Amsterdam will be suspended at the end of the current winter timetable period in March.

The seasonal services from Heathrow to Palma and Venice will not be reinstated in summer 2010.

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Last dates for suspended services:

AMS 27 March
TLV 9 JAN last Return 10 Jan
KBP 10 JAN
ALP 9 JAN last Return 10 Jan

I did post this in the other thread earlier, but as the attention is currently in this thread for the time being, here it is again:
http://www.flybmi.com/bmi/en-gb/flig...-news.aspx#216
bmi suspends services
Unfortunately bmi will be suspending the following services:

- Our London Heathrow-Amsterdam service will be suspended on 27 March 2010

- We will be suspending our London Heathrow-Tel Aviv service, with the last flight departing London on 9 January 2010, and the last flight departing Tel Aviv on 10 January 2010

- Our London Heathrow-Kiev service will be suspended on 10 January 2010

- As well as London Heathrow-Aleppo, with the last departure from London being 9 January 2010 and the last departure from Aleppo being 10 January 2010. Note our London Heathrow-Damascus service will continue to operate as usual.

We will also be transferring our London Heathrow-Brussels service over to Brussels Airlines from 10 January 2010.

If you hold a direct booking on one of our suspended services you will be contacted by bmi after 2 December to discuss your alternative flight options or to receive a full refund. We will be contacting customers in travel date order. Customers booked through a travel agent should contact their travel agent after 2 December to discuss their options.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:40 am

TLV is definitely being dropped - guess they'll be in touch about your flight with rebooking options
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:42 am

Programs: United 1K Million Mile flyer, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member, Marriott
I booked it through United so I wonder what will happen.

Programs: UA 1K; LY Gold; DL Gold; BA Bronze
Is ther any chance that bmi will start codesharing with LY for the TLV route? If that happens - BD will still have an access to TLV, LY will have aceess to UK destinations and DUB. That will be win-win situation...

Programs: UA 1K
On the bmi website now:

bmi suspends services
Unfortunately bmi will be suspending the following services:

- Our London Heathrow-Amsterdam service will be suspended on 27 March 2010

- We will be suspending our London Heathrow-Tel Aviv service, with the last flight departing London on 9 January 2010, and the last flight departing Tel Aviv on 10 January 2010

- Our London Heathrow-Kiev service will be suspended on 10 January 2010

- As well as London Heathrow-Aleppo, with the last departure from London being 9 January 2010 and the last departure from Aleppo being 10 January 2010. Note our London Heathrow-Damascus service will continue to operate as usual.

We will also be transferring our London Heathrow-Brussels service over to Brussels Airlines from 10 January 2010.

If you hold a direct booking on one of our suspended services you will be contacted by bmi after 2 December to discuss your alternative flight options or to receive a full refund. We will be contacting customers in travel date order. Customers booked through a travel agent should contact their travel agent after 2 December to discuss their options.

We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:45 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
IMHO this is the worst possible scenario; should this culminate in BA being the only alliance-based mainline carrier operating domestic flights within the UK with the absence of competition then it will be a black day for UK domestic air passengers. I'm all for maintaining and hopefully expanding UK regional connections to European *A hubs but not at the expense of *A domestic connedctions to other *A longhaul flights out of LHR.
Well, it wouldn't come to that. I expect it would be called Lufthansa UK and it would operate very much like Lufthansa Italia - mopping up the remaining direct routes out of LHR (which, after Jan 10, will be Dublin, UK domestics and a selection of oddball mid-haul routes). I wouldn't be surprised if Regional flights to BRU also went over to SN in the future.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Sad day for all involved I think. I do wonder as to the viability of only operating just one long haul aircraft - I therefore assume the Saudi route must be highly profitable.

Pretty much a year since the announcement regarding MAN I think - let's hope things improve in the coming year as it seems to me there's only really BMED and domestic left.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by ajamieson
Well, it wouldn't come to that. I expect it would be called Lufthansa UK and it would operate very much like Lufthansa Italia - mopping up the remaining direct routes out of LHR (which, after Jan 10, will be Dublin, UK domestics and a selection of oddball mid-haul routes). I wouldn't be surprised if Regional flights to BRU also went over to SN in the future.
... which kind of makes sense. You'd also get some savings from scrapping BMI's booking / web infraststructure and putting it all via lufthansa.co.uk.

Despite what was said at the *A DO recently, there does seem very little point in retaining Diamond Club to support the size of the remaining operation.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
So much for "beefing up" of their East European presence. Has loads on BD851/852 and BD761/762 been that bad? And to be honest I believe they might want to reconsider their decision to scrap AMS; probably bring it down to 2 from current 4 daily flights, but giving this route away to KLM and BA is hardly a wise decision (especially when you think of NZ and UL codeshare on this route). Or will LH take it over from BD?
Old Nov 25, 2009, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ouch. Very sorry for the staff that are going. Still a tough environment to be job hunting in.

Programs: United 1K Million Mile flyer, Hertz Presidents Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond member, Marriott
I really am surprised about the TLV route. I flew LHR-TLV-LHR back in March and again this week. Both times the planes were packed. I would be surprised to find out they were not making money on this route.

Programs: LH SEN/*G
If regional have got an ERJ-145 spare, I'll put in a plea to move it to BRS, and operate BRS-FRA/MUC and maybe even a BRS-ABZ.

We desperately need some flights to Germany and *A hubs. At the moment, we have neither, excepting the CO flight to EWR (and even I draw the line at a routing that starts BRS-EWR-FRA), or a rather feeble SN flight to BRU (a rather feeble *A presence).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.