Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New Membership Pack (Ugh!)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2009, 2:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Part of the reason that the cards are being replaced is that there appears to be fake - yes, fake - bmi Gold cards circulating, believe it or not. I was told this by a dragon at one of the SEN Lounges in FRA - and again, I heard this at the JFK LH lounge.

Who knew?
I wonder if the new cards are harder to forge then.

I'm surprised the airlines have not been keener to invest in RFID technology to try and stop this sort of thing.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Part of the reason that the cards are being replaced is that there appears to be fake - yes, fake - bmi Gold cards circulating, believe it or not. I
This is also probably why bmi have been checking your gold card at the lounge in LHR & MAN recently I've noticed. I'd have thought the cards are easy to forge - but at least in the *G lounge at LHR they check the computer, I assume to check, and I've noticed it at other LH/LX lounges - didn't really think much of it and assumed it was BAU?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
I wonder if the new cards are harder to forge then.

I'm surprised the airlines have not been keener to invest in RFID technology to try and stop this sort of thing.
Not sure why you'd need to go to chips or other security features as the cards really don't get you anything. Sure you can flash one to get into a priority line but lounge receptionists are supposed to swipe them, and the true status of the traveler will also be reflected on the boarding pass. One wouldn't be able to use a kiosk to check in as the card would be rejected if it didn't match up to a real account.

BTW while I look forward to getting the new kit, the cost to BMI must be considerable and in these days of operating losses, how can it be justified to create and send out such a costly package? NAmerican carriers have all pretty much abandoned elaborate elite kits and just send out new cards in normal basic postage envelopes. All the other stuff is now online for us to download and print out if we want a hard copy. Assuming BD has 1 million members getting new kits, the cost is likely to be Ł10 million (design, printing, packaging, postage), not an inconsiderable sum.

Don't get me wrong, I loved getting the elaborate annual elite kits that AC and CP used to send out. Great design, very imaginative. But also quite expensive when the card's the main thing (along with luggage tags) and everything else can be had online.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 6:14 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
1 million elite members? I very much doubt it. I also doubt the changes cost Ł10 per member.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:15 am

Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
Considering that using the BD*G card outside of the usual BMI airports is usually greeted with confusion, not mentioning the airline on the card will cause even more confusion.

This must be the first time a loyalty card doesnt have the name of the airline or airline logo doesnt appear on the front of the card.

The fact that DUB and AMS arent metioned on the card either points to stupidity on behalf of the airline, or the fact that cards were sent out too early. I really hope its the former.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
We must make a proper list of these airports that have real problems with knowledge of bmi and Star Alliance Gold; because I've yet to find one that, on the rare occasion they didn't know automatically, hadn't my card swiped or looked up in the book in seconds.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Nov 22, 2009 at 11:57 am Reason: spellin !
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:29 am

Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
The problem isnt Star Alliance Gold - its the lack of understanding of who bmi is.

Try using the card in Chinese regional cities and see the response from the staff members.

Try anywhere Transaero outside of DME and see if they accept the card.

Now, if and when Bmi isnt mentioned on the card - will reign even more in my opinion...
Old Nov 22, 2009, 5:46 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by typhoon

Try using the card in Chinese regional cities and see the response from the staff members.
I have - no problem at all and this was just after CA joined *A

I take your point though. The problem though lies with the member airlines, not bmi.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 6:24 am
ICA

Programs: DL Plat, JL Diamond, TK Elite, A3 Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
And... Isn't the Star Gold logo too small?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 8:46 am

and the logo should be on the top right instead.
and the corners of the card should be more rounded.
and the string on the tag should be gold for better contrast.
and they should always send us two so we can keep one for best.

and....
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:46 am
ICA

Programs: DL Plat, JL Diamond, TK Elite, A3 Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
and they should always send us two so we can keep one for best.

and....
You mean, two tag-strings or
two cards?

By the way, I think the "black color" for FFP top tier
is a kind of trendy these days...
(Think about the new AF/KL Plat or Club2000,
AZ Freccia Alata Plus, UA 1K, BA premier, etc. cards)

Anyway, let's see what will happen
when presenting the card at the airport...
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by ICA

Anyway, let's see what will happen
when presenting the card at the airport...
The same as before. It will make hardly any difference, perhaps a bit more confusion at first, but nobody is going to be refused access over a change of design.

Last edited by RAPC; Nov 22, 2009 at 10:06 am
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
We must make a proper list of these airports that have real problems with knowledge of bmi and Star Alliance Gold; because I've yet to find one that, on the rare occasion they didn't know automatically, had my card swiped or looked up in the book in seconds.
I had to educate a few folks at several airports, but never ran into any problems once I told them to enter it as BD XXXXXXXX. Now with the new card and BMI not visible and *G being small ... oh boy, that's going to be fun. My old one is good through May 2010, so I am not sure they are going to send me a replacement card (we'll see, mail to the US takes a while).
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by ICA
By the way, I think the "black color" for FFP top tier
is a kind of trendy these days..
I know....

One's black card holder is looking extremely dull these days, what with my BA Premier, my HON Circle, my Amex and now bmi too. How terribly boring!
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cfischer
My old one is good through May 2010, so I am not sure they are going to send me a replacement card (we'll see, mail to the US takes a while).
Mine was valid to June 2010 and they still sent me the new black one.

As others, I never encountered 'problems' as such. Clearly, some employees were unaware of bmi in rather remote places (such as large USA airports ) but it never really affected access to lounges or entering of FF # into IT systems: at most, employees would ask a colleague for the code for BD, at which point I would save them time by telling them it was BD and look with amusement as they tried sceptically and looked amazed when the system actually accepted it.

Honestly, sometimes, I am rather amazed at the capacity of some FTers to look at any cosmetic change as a catastrophy of major proportions and the end of the world as we know it. Some seem to be more set in their habits and afraid of change than the average 95 year-old.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.