The New Membership Pack (Ugh!)

Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I presume the new card is just a straight replacement of the old one, i.e. same expiry date? Mine hasn't arrived yet but my reason for wondering is that following the membership year fiasco at the time of the system "upgrade", I got left with a membership year ending on 30 June and a card expiring on 30 June (had always been 8 June and 31 July before).

Call me insanely optimistic if you like, but I was hoping they might take the opportunity to fix this with the general reissue of gold cards anyway.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 12:37 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA Gold
Originally Posted by CheeseToastie
I presume the new card is just a straight replacement of the old one, i.e. same expiry date? Mine hasn't arrived yet but my reason for wondering is that following the membership year fiasco at the time of the system "upgrade", I got left with a membership year ending on 30 June and a card expiring on 30 June (had always been 8 June and 31 July before).

Call me insanely optimistic if you like, but I was hoping they might take the opportunity to fix this with the general reissue of gold cards anyway.
Actually, my membership year used to end in May. My (old) new card expired 06/10. My new black card, which I have just opened, expires 08/10.

Not sure if that answers your question or adds to the confusion.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA G, AC*G, PC P, Marriot Plat, Carlson Gold etc....
I too have membership year creep, not sure what's happening with that. Anyway, among all the negativity just a few points.

Firstly, the fact that so many have recieved their packs so quickly after the annoucement shows they've actually got their act together this time and only made the annoucement once the materials were printed and ready to go. Well done bmi.

Secondly, Black is the new Platinum./ Gold in terms of all the loyalty clubs (and many credit cards) for their top tiers. bmi were trying to follow this trend and be cool. Their is also something about simplicity of design which is in the card which I quite like. It doesn't have to have bmi plastered all over it. Understatement is the new fashion. Yeah, it's not fabulous, but its ok.

Finally, the enhancements we are hearing about should broadly be welcomed. Many golds in DC never get chance to use the paper GUV's and I for one welcome the new system for the few times I do fly from LHR and also the new family clustering of points is a very welcome addition to a modern FF scheme.

After all the moaning on this board (including myself) on many of these points it seems like they have listened and had a good go at making some positive changes.

Just need to sort the real problem out now, which isn't the FF scheme, rather the shambolic route network and random flight scheduling as part of the cash haemoraging out of the company.(oh, and the ICC of course!)
Old Nov 20, 2009, 1:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Aziz
Will I (a blue member) also get a new blue card eventually?
No, there's been no such thing for a couple of years now. Proper cards start at Blue Plus.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:04 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
I think this just shows that they're trying to develop the 'Diamond Club' brand.
From thwarting a M&L migration point of view, surely this is a good thing?

Unless they're just trying to attract (distract?) us with appearance whilst gradually diluting the substance?

Either way, it makes me a little suspicious that they value the Diamond Club brand more than the bmi brand. Aiming themselves at a new target audience perhaps?

I'm going to reserve judgement on the brand design until I see it with my own eyes.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
While the actual card looks okay, kinda sleek actually, the luggage tag is AWFUL! I think the simplicity is what kills it as a luggage tag. I mean, I really liked the previous ones with the 'clear' effect. Oh well
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by denCSA
I mean, I really liked the previous ones with the 'clear' effect. Oh well
That was known here as the "swoosh".

I still long for the swoosh - and posted, co-incidentally about it the night before the big announcement...
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by jbfield
I think this just shows that they're trying to develop the 'Diamond Club' brand.

<snip>

Either way, it makes me a little suspicious that they value the Diamond Club brand more than the bmi brand. Aiming themselves at a new target audience perhaps?
It does however make it easier to separate the two...
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:29 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
The black in the picture looks more dark grey than black.

As for confusion in remote places when the card changes - yes it is a problem. Same thing with NZ cards when they underwent a major overhaul in the look.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Pah, mine didn't arrive today. Doubt it will arrive before we leave tomorrow, due to the new slimline post office delivery times.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
The black in the picture looks more dark grey than black.
That's what you get with pearl effect paint and a flash at close range.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:23 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
That's what you get with pearl effect paint and a flash at close range.
Aren't pearls white?
Old Nov 20, 2009, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Mr H
If they haven't heard of BMI then how will the absence of the airline name be more of a problem?
Because they can look it up in their book. Not so if it just says Diamond Club.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
The black card looks beautiful and fancy IMO. Im looking forward to recieve it at home.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Maybe they got the idea from Spinal Tap.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.