The New Membership Pack (Ugh!)

Old Nov 26, 09, 3:26 am

Programs: BA GFL, GGL, CCR, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling View Post
I think my new card may have been the first one the crew had seen this morning as well. Clearly they were expecting a new design so they passed it between them with an "ooo, that's posh!" No probs with acceptance and it swiped fine through the machine
....and similar on my way back last night. No problem with acceptance, just a "is this one of the new ones? It's the first one I have seen" etc... again no probs swiping.
Old Nov 26, 09, 4:16 am

Here is my new experience...

Tried to use the new gold/black card in LAX (UA lounge), no acceptance (lounge dragon thought it is a fake due to the crappy *A Gold logo). Also no success at HNL (CO lounge - they only have the 'old' colours on their accepance sheet). At YVR (AC lounge - same thing).
Glad I still had my real gold card with me to get in...
Old Nov 26, 09, 4:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by crazychicken View Post
Tried to use the new gold/black card in LAX (UA lounge), no acceptance (lounge dragon thought it is a fake due to the crappy *A Gold logo). Also no success at HNL (CO lounge - they only have the 'old' colours on their accepance sheet). At YVR (AC lounge - same thing).
What about those of us who will shortly be making it up to BD*G for the first time? Do we have the "right" to argue with lounge dragons if they refuse entry? Who/what should we refer them to in order to confirm the validity of our *G status?
Old Nov 26, 09, 6:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, F9 Elite, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Symposium View Post
What about those of us who will shortly be making it up to BD*G for the first time? Do we have the "right" to argue with lounge dragons if they refuse entry? Who/what should we refer them to in order to confirm the validity of our *G status?
Might not be a bad idea to send *A an email through its website to let them know this is happening and to get the info updated. Trying to get BD to do anything will just take too long as the turnaround time these days on BMI email is quite long.
Old Nov 26, 09, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder View Post
...As noted, most programs now seem to have their top tier cards in black, gold for the next tier down, and silver for the first tier...
Can't say about "most programs," but none of the programs in which my household has elite cards follow this pattern. AA, for example, has black for top-tier Executive Platinum, then silver (really platinum, but you can't tell them apart on a plastic card) and Gold at the bottom.
Old Nov 26, 09, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by crazychicken View Post
Here is my new experience...

this is terrible. Good thing my old card is still valid through May 2010.
Old Nov 26, 09, 9:00 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by denCSA View Post
Might not be a bad idea to send *A an email through its website to let them know this is happening and to get the info updated.
Very good suggestion. I just did that; here is the handy webpage:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/conta...ntact-request/

cheers,

Henry
Old Nov 27, 09, 3:23 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by denCSA View Post
Might not be a bad idea to send *A an email through its website to let them know this is happening and to get the info updated.
Originally Posted by henry999 View Post
Very good suggestion. I just did that...
On the other hand, it might not be worth the effort.

Here is what I wrote (there is a 300-character limit):

> The new design of bmi's Diamond Club "Gold" card is not being
> recognised by some Star GOLD lounge attendants and it is not
> yet in the Official eligibility book. Star GOLD members are
> mistakenly being denied admission to lounges. Please fix this.

And here is what they replied:

> Hello,

> Thank you for writing to us at the Star Alliance Help Desk.

> The Star Alliance Gold members and a guest can access lounges
> around the world, irrespective of which class of service they
> travel in. However, there are certain rules. The lounge must
> have the Star Alliance Gold sign on the outside. Not all Star
> Alliance airline lounges serve Star Alliance Gold customers. In
> addition, you should be in possession of a same-day boarding
> pass for any Star Alliance airline operated flight.

> If you feel that you were eligible, please register a complaint
> with the operating carrier's customer relations department.

> We regret any inconvenience. Thanks again for contacting us.

> Regards, [&c.]

In other words, boilerplate with no reference to the particular concern I expressed.

cheers,

Henry
Old Nov 27, 09, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
> If you feel that you were eligible, please register a complaint
> with the operating carrier's customer relations department.

> We regret any inconvenience. Thanks again for contacting us.
Wonder where it came from. Sounds oh so Lufthansa: consise, direct, correct in every detail and utterly useless.
Old Nov 27, 09, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by luitje View Post
Wonder where it came from. Sounds oh so Lufthansa: consise, direct, correct in every detail and utterly useless.
IIRC, the *A contact office is located in Germany, so you can look at that as legitimation for indulging in Germanic cliches . That said, I very much doubt that the *A office has the resources to investigate those kinds of complaints. The whole "*A" infrastructure must be no more than a handful of persons and their main activities are not at the customer interface end. Ultimately, it is really the airlines themselves. My guess is that you are more likely to get results from contacting the airline whose lounge refused you entry (in all likelihood, it will have very limited impact but still a little more than other avenues).
Old Nov 27, 09, 6:38 am

Programs: BA Gold - A3 Gold - FB Gold - IHG Plat - SPG Gold -Hyatt Platinum
The Star Alliance Gold members and a guest can access lounges
around the world, irrespective of which class of service they
travel in. However, there are certain rules. The lounge must
have the Star Alliance Gold sign on the outside. Not all Star
Alliance airline lounges serve Star Alliance Gold customers. In
addition, you should be in possession of a same-day boarding
pass for any Star Alliance airline operated flight.
Oh! Very interesting...
Old Nov 27, 09, 7:09 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
How do you expect Star Alliance to accept claims from individuals that the design of the Gold card from an FFP has changed? How do they know that someone isn't just making it up?

Surely it must be the airline/FFP's responsibility to inform Star Alliance that the design will change before sending new cards out to members.

I think any complaints should go to bmi/Diamond Club rather than to Star Alliance or other *A members.
Old Nov 27, 09, 9:37 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
How do you expect Star Alliance to accept claims from individuals that the design of the Gold card from an FFP has changed? How do they know that someone isn't just making it up? .
But nobody is expecting *A to blindly follow the instuction of an indivudual as to an update of a FFP Gold card.

What we are however expecting them to do is correctly handly comunication from an individual. This would include investigating and following up the matter that the indivudal has raised.
Old Nov 27, 09, 9:53 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, Community Buzz, and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by David-A View Post
What we are however expecting them to do is correctly handly comunication from an individual. This would include investigating and following up the matter that the indivudal has raised.
It's not unreasonable to expect *A member airlines to inform Star Alliance about major changes to their FFP Gold card. Has anyone contacted bmi/Diamond Club about the difficulties they've experienced with their new Gold card?

I agree with NickB that the *A office probably doesn't have the resources to investigate individual communication such as the one quoted by henry999 and that their main activities are not at the customer interface end.
Old Nov 27, 09, 10:15 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner View Post
It's not unreasonable to expect *A member airlines to inform Star Alliance about major changes to their FFP Gold card.
I never said it was.

You do know these arn't mutually exclusive options. And the copy and paste reply is a comunicatinos failure. It doesn't matter a hoot about the volume or resoureces.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: