The New Membership Pack (Ugh!)

Closed Thread

Old Nov 21, 09, 2:17 pm
  #61  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Posts: 8,156
Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
Part of the reason that the cards are being replaced is that there appears to be fake - yes, fake - bmi Gold cards circulating, believe it or not. I was told this by a dragon at one of the SEN Lounges in FRA - and again, I heard this at the JFK LH lounge.

Who knew?
I wonder if the new cards are harder to forge then.

I'm surprised the airlines have not been keener to invest in RFID technology to try and stop this sort of thing.
Traveloguy is offline  
Old Nov 21, 09, 3:23 pm
  #62  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: HKG
Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier Lifetime, BA Gold, Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Posts: 2,363
Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
Part of the reason that the cards are being replaced is that there appears to be fake - yes, fake - bmi Gold cards circulating, believe it or not. I
This is also probably why bmi have been checking your gold card at the lounge in LHR & MAN recently I've noticed. I'd have thought the cards are easy to forge - but at least in the *G lounge at LHR they check the computer, I assume to check, and I've noticed it at other LH/LX lounges - didn't really think much of it and assumed it was BAU?
littlevoices is offline  
Old Nov 21, 09, 6:04 pm
  #63  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; SPGPlat; PCPlat/Amb; HiltonDiamond; CarlsonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesGold
Posts: 37,987
Originally Posted by Traveloguy View Post
I wonder if the new cards are harder to forge then.

I'm surprised the airlines have not been keener to invest in RFID technology to try and stop this sort of thing.
Not sure why you'd need to go to chips or other security features as the cards really don't get you anything. Sure you can flash one to get into a priority line but lounge receptionists are supposed to swipe them, and the true status of the traveler will also be reflected on the boarding pass. One wouldn't be able to use a kiosk to check in as the card would be rejected if it didn't match up to a real account.

BTW while I look forward to getting the new kit, the cost to BMI must be considerable and in these days of operating losses, how can it be justified to create and send out such a costly package? NAmerican carriers have all pretty much abandoned elaborate elite kits and just send out new cards in normal basic postage envelopes. All the other stuff is now online for us to download and print out if we want a hard copy. Assuming BD has 1 million members getting new kits, the cost is likely to be 10 million (design, printing, packaging, postage), not an inconsiderable sum.

Don't get me wrong, I loved getting the elaborate annual elite kits that AC and CP used to send out. Great design, very imaginative. But also quite expensive when the card's the main thing (along with luggage tags) and everything else can be had online.
Shareholder is offline  
Old Nov 21, 09, 6:14 pm
  #64  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: London, UK
Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Posts: 8,156
1 million elite members? I very much doubt it. I also doubt the changes cost 10 per member.
Traveloguy is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 3:15 am
  #65  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: IRL
Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
Posts: 599
Considering that using the BD*G card outside of the usual BMI airports is usually greeted with confusion, not mentioning the airline on the card will cause even more confusion.

This must be the first time a loyalty card doesnt have the name of the airline or airline logo doesnt appear on the front of the card.

The fact that DUB and AMS arent metioned on the card either points to stupidity on behalf of the airline, or the fact that cards were sent out too early. I really hope its the former.
typhoon is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 3:56 am
  #66  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BHD/DUB
Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Posts: 7,623
We must make a proper list of these airports that have real problems with knowledge of bmi and Star Alliance Gold; because I've yet to find one that, on the rare occasion they didn't know automatically, hadn't my card swiped or looked up in the book in seconds.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Nov 22, 09 at 11:57 am Reason: spellin !
FlyingOnceMore is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 5:29 am
  #67  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: IRL
Programs: AF: Plat BD: Gold ICH: Plat Royal Ambassador
Posts: 599
The problem isnt Star Alliance Gold - its the lack of understanding of who bmi is.

Try using the card in Chinese regional cities and see the response from the staff members.

Try anywhere Transaero outside of DME and see if they accept the card.

Now, if and when Bmi isnt mentioned on the card - will reign even more in my opinion...
typhoon is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 5:46 am
  #68  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Manchester, England
Programs: SPG LT Plat, HH Diamond, PC Gold, BMI Gold (RIP)
Posts: 7,292
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post

Try using the card in Chinese regional cities and see the response from the staff members.
I have - no problem at all and this was just after CA joined *A

I take your point though. The problem though lies with the member airlines, not bmi.
RAPC is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 6:24 am
  #69  
ICA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Asia-EU
Programs: DL Plat, JL Diamond, TK Elite, A3 Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 140
And... Isn't the Star Gold logo too small?
ICA is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 8:46 am
  #70  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BHD/DUB
Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Posts: 7,623
and the logo should be on the top right instead.
and the corners of the card should be more rounded.
and the string on the tag should be gold for better contrast.
and they should always send us two so we can keep one for best.

and....
FlyingOnceMore is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 9:46 am
  #71  
ICA
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Asia-EU
Programs: DL Plat, JL Diamond, TK Elite, A3 Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 140
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
and they should always send us two so we can keep one for best.

and....
You mean, two tag-strings or
two cards?

By the way, I think the "black color" for FFP top tier
is a kind of trendy these days...
(Think about the new AF/KL Plat or Club2000,
AZ Freccia Alata Plus, UA 1K, BA premier, etc. cards)


Anyway, let's see what will happen
when presenting the card at the airport...
ICA is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 9:56 am
  #72  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Manchester, England
Programs: SPG LT Plat, HH Diamond, PC Gold, BMI Gold (RIP)
Posts: 7,292
Originally Posted by ICA View Post

Anyway, let's see what will happen
when presenting the card at the airport...
The same as before. It will make hardly any difference, perhaps a bit more confusion at first, but nobody is going to be refused access over a change of design.

Last edited by RAPC; Nov 22, 09 at 10:06 am
RAPC is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 9:56 am
  #73  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: BOS/EAP
Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Posts: 23,791
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
We must make a proper list of these airports that have real problems with knowledge of bmi and Star Alliance Gold; because I've yet to find one that, on the rare occasion they didn't know automatically, had my card swiped or looked up in the book in seconds.
I had to educate a few folks at several airports, but never ran into any problems once I told them to enter it as BD XXXXXXXX. Now with the new card and BMI not visible and *G being small ... oh boy, that's going to be fun. My old one is good through May 2010, so I am not sure they are going to send me a replacement card (we'll see, mail to the US takes a while).
cfischer is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 10:03 am
  #74  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: BHD/DUB
Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Posts: 7,623
Originally Posted by ICA View Post
By the way, I think the "black color" for FFP top tier
is a kind of trendy these days..
I know....

One's black card holder is looking extremely dull these days, what with my BA Premier, my HON Circle, my Amex and now bmi too. How terribly boring!
FlyingOnceMore is offline  
Old Nov 22, 09, 11:02 am
  #75  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: London, UK and Southern France
Posts: 15,866
Originally Posted by cfischer View Post
My old one is good through May 2010, so I am not sure they are going to send me a replacement card (we'll see, mail to the US takes a while).
Mine was valid to June 2010 and they still sent me the new black one.

As others, I never encountered 'problems' as such. Clearly, some employees were unaware of bmi in rather remote places (such as large USA airports ) but it never really affected access to lounges or entering of FF # into IT systems: at most, employees would ask a colleague for the code for BD, at which point I would save them time by telling them it was BD and look with amusement as they tried sceptically and looked amazed when the system actually accepted it.

Honestly, sometimes, I am rather amazed at the capacity of some FTers to look at any cosmetic change as a catastrophy of major proportions and the end of the world as we know it. Some seem to be more set in their habits and afraid of change than the average 95 year-old.
NickB is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread