Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

The 2010 Diamond Club FAQ - Everything the Newbie couldn't posssibly know yet (v.4)

The 2010 Diamond Club FAQ - Everything the Newbie couldn't posssibly know yet (v.4)

Old Jul 19, 2010, 3:20 am

Programs: not a lot
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
16K - and you'll need to call the ICC, unfortunately.
Is this an enhancement? I did the silver card for my wife online.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I never knew that. I'll update the top of this thread, so. ^
Old Jul 23, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I have a question regarding the charging of connections in Z1/Z2 not covered in the examples in post #5. What if a return trip is booked and the outbound flight involves a connection and the return is direct?

e.g. If one booked DUB-LHR-TBS-LHR am I right in saying it would be charged as follows (in Y):

12,000 miles + 3750 one way connection = 15,750 miles. I only ask because the way it is worded the connection surcharge is applied at 7500 miles per return flight. In the above example it is a return flight, even though there is only one connection.

A further question, if the above was miles + cash am I correct in saying it would cost 6,000 miles + Ł70 (for flight) + 2000 miles + Ł15 (for connection) = 8,000 miles + Ł85?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 3:00 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
I have a question regarding the charging of connections in Z1/Z2 not covered in the examples in post #5. What if a return trip is booked and the outbound flight involves a connection and the return is direct?

e.g. If one booked DUB-LHR-TBS-LHR am I right in saying it would be charged as follows (in Y):

12,000 miles + 3750 one way connection = 15,750 miles. I only ask because the way it is worded the connection surcharge is applied at 7500 miles per return flight. In the above example it is a return flight, even though there is only one connection.

A further question, if the above was miles + cash am I correct in saying it would cost 6,000 miles + Ł70 (for flight) + 2000 miles + Ł15 (for connection) = 8,000 miles + Ł85?
A discussion of this scenario in this thread also came up with 15,750, but, of course, until someone actually tries to book one of these we won't really know for sure.

The 8,000 + Ł85 looks right too.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
What about the Gold 55K threshold?
Well, for high earners, this is where a good programme becomes truly great. The old complaint was that once you got Gold status, well, there was nothing better to aim for. Other programmes offered extra upgrades, or a Platinum level or whatever.
In 2006, bmi came up with this: If you have Gold status, bmi will "convert" any (up to a maximum of 250,000) status miles in excess of 55k to bonus destination miles - i.e. the equivalent amount of destinations miles will be credited to your account. These bonuses should credit as part of your Gold status bonus - ie. bmi flights at 35%+100%=135% and partner flights at 25%+100%=125% of the base miles.

Your status miles total stays the same - the miles aren't deducted once they have been 'converted'. At the end of your membership year, of course, your status miles total is reset to 0 and you have to get back up to 55,000 in your next membership year before you earn any further rollover bonus destinations miles.
I read this in detail, but there is still something unclear to me, will appreciate any support: I am Silver now with 7k status miles. I need 31k status miles to reach Gold. Do I get the status miles credited as bonus destination miles the minute I reach Gold, or after I make ANOTHER 55K status miles as Gold?

To cut it short, will I benefit from this great option after 31k status miles or after 86k status miles?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
After 86k status miles, its a hard slog the first time you are getting gold!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 6:56 am
soy

Programs: various
Today you are silver with 7k status miles.
+ 31k more and you will be Gold with 38k status miles.
+17k more and you will have 55k status miles. All miles after this attract the bonus.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Originally Posted by soy
Today you are silver with 7k status miles.
+ 31k more and you will be Gold with 38k status miles.
+17k more and you will have 55k status miles. All miles after this attract the bonus.
When you reach gold after the 31k your status miles will be reset to 0, so you will need another 55k (38k to re-qualify for gold and then 17k to reach 55k)

So you will need the 86k status miles, as I mentioned , quite a lot of flying ahead of you!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 7:36 am
soy

Programs: various
forgot about the reset at first time gold....doh
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:12 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Gold, M&M FTL, QR Gold, HH Diamond, PCR Platinum
Thanks, much appreciated. Can I suggest to specify this clearly in the FAQ above?
Old Aug 6, 2010, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Done.
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: BD,Skyteam,QF
At one point in this extensive (and very useful) thread, someone recommended that a poster should use their status on another FFP to get BD Gold on a status match.
I suppose this would require giving up the other gold status? (probably a numpty question, but if this is an unspoken pot of gold, I'd like to know!)
Old Aug 6, 2010, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by measures
At one point in this extensive (and very useful) thread, someone recommended that a poster should use their status on another FFP to get BD Gold on a status match.
I suppose this would require giving up the other gold status? (probably a numpty question, but if this is an unspoken pot of gold, I'd like to know!)
It doesn't require giving up your status on the other airline. (There's usually no way to do that, though it will eventually disappear on its own in the natural course of events if you don't fly with them.) At this time BD is loath to give status matches to people who have not recently either flown BD or purchased a non-refundable ticket.

BA is the most likely status to be matched, *A partners the least likely, and all other airlines in between.

A status match is pretty much a one-time thing, so you might not want to go for it unless you're fairly serious about flying on BD and/or its partners. And you'll have to requalify on your own - no favo(u)rs here!

There is more (much more!) about BD status matches in this thread.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club
Thanks alot for the thread, this is excellent.

But just a question about something that wasnt in the FAQ.

Me, my Mother and my brother are booked on JED-RUH-LHR for early september, in Economy.

Now, my Mom has a DC memebrship, and me and my brother are under her as part of the Family Memberhsip (My mother is the main memeber though). She has gathered up enough miles to upgrade us all. Can we still make the upgrade for ALL of us?

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 21, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
[*]When redeeming on bmi flights, Gold member redemptions are automatically booked into business class on short-haul or premium economy on long-haul, for the economy miles tariff. This is confirmed at booking. Note I did not say Gold Members, I said Gold Member redemptions - get it? If a Gold books with or for a friend, the friend is upgraded at the time of booking, even if the Gold member isn't travelling.
didnt find an answer searching so... if such is the case, would APD be charged as a "C" or "Y"?
AX

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.