what benefits with Diamond Select?

Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:15 pm
Original Poster

what benefits with Diamond Select?

I am not very familiar with the Best Western Program, so I looked at its member benefits online.

The way I understand it ,there actually has no benefit difference between a blue member and Diamond Select member, except a diamond select gets more bonus points per dollar spent. It also claims member get exclusive rate but I did not see any rate difference before and after I logged in. The rate stays the same.

Am I missing something? It seems to be a boring program and no appealing benefit to stay loyal.

Please enlighten me, thanks,
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:14 am
R
formerly PrePress420

I am a diamond select. Exclusive rates mean that you will be charged less than someone just coming in or making a reservation on the phone who is not at BW rewards member.. however, Priceline for example can offer cheaper rates than the hotel itself. So you might want to investigate them for the better rate.
Free upgrades are no longer a given and not even advertised on Best Western site as they used to be. That was one of the advantages I liked. Also, I stayed a lot on the road and would accumulate enough points to get free nights.
If you're looking for the best rate I would check out Priceline just to compare. Best Westerns are independently owned and I can assure you the quality varies from hotel to hotel.
BETTERMJ likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither Best Western, nor Choice, nor Wyndham are programs for people who seek status benefits.

They're programs for people who want to accumulate points to use, among other things, in many small towns (including just outside many national parks) where there are no other points program hotels other than the above.

Along Norway's western fjords, the only point hotels are in the Best Western and Choice programs.

Around many national parks in the US, the closest points hotels are either Best Western and/or Choice and/or Wyndham. Only two Best Westerns near Bryce Canyon NP in Utah, only Choice and Wyndham in Port Angeles WA near Olympic National Park.
Dav77, yscleo and MDtR-Chicago like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 4:16 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
All the world is Diamond select with Best Western even spending 3-4 nights per year at the hotels of this chain …

their status élite worth less than the supermarket membership card …
Old Aug 3, 2022, 8:33 am

I have Diamond Select through a status match and the only thing it seems to change is how many points you get. Most BW don’t even mention your status. I had one that gave me a water bottle at check in, I think because of the status (all he said was “oh you get a water bottle”), but that’s it as far as recognition.
yscleo likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:28 am
R
formerly PrePress420

They don't even offer me water anymore haha I have to ask for it.
yscleo likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 1:52 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Some hotels don't even give you water if you do ask for it!
yscleo likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:32 am
R
formerly PrePress420

Since the pandemic technically ended, haha, I am now being offered my choice of bottled water or a bag of chips from the gift store / snack bar. But it doesn't hurt to ask because you never know who's at the front desk
Old Mar 6, 2023, 7:04 am
Suspended

This is my second year as Diamond Select member, i have never enjoyed any benefit with my status. No gift, no welcome drink, I have to beg for an early checkin to accommodate my 3 y.o who still needs to take a nap after lunch. So far, I have never got any room upgrade.

I have to stay at the BOA Hotel BW Signature in Lille in May, i am not expecting anything special.

I wrote an email to prepare my stay, asking about an upgrade. I have been told the usual... "it's a very busy period, we'll see what we can do upon checkin"

This is probably the worst loyalty program ever...
Old Mar 6, 2023, 9:47 am
R
formerly PrePress420

If you can, call the hotel directly two days before, the day before, and the day you plan to arrive. These are independently owned and upgrades are a matter of choice of that hotel. And not call the best Western corporate number. Emails are okay but often their fruitless. I always call at least once to follow up especially the day before. And if I am worried about that particular hotel I call the morning of my arrival.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 4:50 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I have seen some Diamond upgrades to higher floor rooms and maybe somewhat larger junior suites/family rooms at times. But even where there are options to upgrade, BW hotels seem to be generally the opposite of generous with upgrades.

I have been checked in earlier than the official check-in times, but that hasn’t seemed to have much or anything to do with status.

I had long chalked up the BW program’s status benefits to be as weak as IHG status benefits; but IHG has improved with status benefits while BW remains where it has long been.
yscleo likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2023, 5:05 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Neither Best Western, nor Choice, nor Wyndham are programs for people who seek status benefits.

They're programs for people who want to accumulate points to use, among other things, in many small towns (including just outside many national parks) where there are no other points program hotels other than the above.

Along Norway's western fjords, the only point hotels are in the Best Western and Choice programs.
Indeed Choice, BW and Wyndham have been generally weak with regard to status benefits. [IHG used to be weak about that too.]

Choice and BW properties in Norway — and the rest of Scandinavia — are better with regard to status benefits than Choice and BW properties in the Americas.

In Norway, I mostly redeem points for Choice, BW, Radisson, and Scandic hotels. There are two Marriott options across the country — which is to grow to three options when Tromso comes online. There is at least one Hyatt option in the country, that being in Bergen.
yscleo likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Some hotels don't even give you water if you do ask for it!
And, tnen they offer water to the next non-elite guest standing in line, particularly in Phoenix during the hot season (Mar through Nov), So, it's really not a Diamond Select benefit per se.
yscleo likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 3:41 am
Suspended

FINALLY !

booked a BW Signature hotel in Lille (France) and contacted them for an upgrade. The girl only answered « let’s see upon availability on arrival day » with not much attention to my status.

I cancelled the booking and took another BW in Lille (better). The hotel offered to upgrade me even if it’s a month in advance.

Some hotels just don’t care. Hopefully there are still some good BW paying attention to loyal members
yscleo likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by macaron95
FINALLY !

booked a BW Signature hotel in Lille (France) and contacted them for an upgrade. The girl only answered « let’s see upon availability on arrival day » with not much attention to my status.

I cancelled the booking and took another BW in Lille (better). The hotel offered to upgrade me even if it’s a month in advance.

Some hotels just don’t care. Hopefully there are still some good BW paying attention to loyal members
You did the right thing! Take your business to a hotel that appreciates your business!
yscleo likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.