Room upgrades discontinued

Old Aug 1, 20, 1:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY Lumo, TK Elite Plus, A3 Gold, BT VIP, ITA Executive
Room upgrades discontinued

Has there been any official communication from BW about discontinuation of elite room upgrades?
I'm pretty sure I still saw it included among benefits about two weeks ago, but last week CS informed it's no longer a benefit, and upon checking their website, I found out it's not listed anymore. However, some regional language versions haven't been updated yet (particularly Nordics).
Old Aug 1, 20, 9:43 am

Programs: AC S100K, BW Diamond Select
I did notice the absence in the benefits chart; I checked into 1 hotel in July and didn't get an upgrade (despite them not being booked fully), and at another one, was informed that we received an upgrade.
Old Sep 13, 20, 8:11 pm

I got an upgraded room last week at a location that was less than half-booked. I guess it is a case of YMMV.
Old Nov 16, 20, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
It seems more important to be a well-known returning guest at any property together with elite membership level, than just the latter.

In all, a hit/miss situation
Old Feb 19, 21, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Any updates on upgrades for elites?
Old Apr 4, 21, 11:00 am

Programs: Delta, Amex
This is kinda like the last straw for me. I've been super loyal diamond select for many years.
Old Apr 5, 21, 5:05 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
Even before this was removed, I was rarely getting upgraded as a Diamond Select anyway.

Originally Posted by Adora77 View Post
This is kinda like the last straw for me. I've been super loyal diamond select for many years.
Adora77 likes this.
Old Apr 5, 21, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HIltonHonors Diamond, KrisFlyer Silver, BW Diamond
Don't think there are really many "upgrade" opportunities at BW. Their motels/hotels are independently owned and operated. The vast majority simply have single and double rooms. I've stayed in some that have bigger rooms, such as one with 3 queens...but that was needed when I traveled with teens, hardly can be considered an "upgrade".

BW is not an elite brand. I never expect or demand an upgrade: if I get one at Hilton or BW (am Hilton Diamond) I treat it as a bonus and good luck. Makes life easier. I long ago gave up on BW and only stay when there are no other better options. They have a few decent properties, like at Springdale, Utah just outside Zion NP, but they are rarely among the best lodging options.
Old Apr 21, 21, 7:23 pm

I've stayed at approximately 10 BWs since last summer. Some hotels will tell me I've been upgraded to a same-type room, but with a river view, for example.

Several upgraded me to nice suites even though I booked a base room or something at a low rate.

I have also been to BWs with 60 rooms that are maybe 15-20% booked and yet they cluster all the guests on one floor beside/across from another guest.
EqualOpp likes this.
Old Apr 29, 21, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by thunderdeacon View Post
Even before this was removed, I was rarely getting upgraded as a Diamond Select anyway.
Same here (Diamond). Maybe I got a room on a higher floor at times.

Once or twice I asked, when that was still a listed perk. Upgrade was denied, unless I payed extra
Old May 29, 21, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Wait! You have gotten an upgrade?
Old Jun 5, 21, 2:57 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, HH Diamond, Accor Gold,, IHG Plat
My last experience mirrored the SOP I expect at major chains like Hilton and IHG; not necessarily BW. A few weeks before my stay, I noticed my reservation was pre-upgraded to the next category from a standard room. Then during check-in, I was informed I received a further upgrade to a junior suite. Was quite impressed for a BW, even though I had to turn down the upgrade due to the bed type.
Old Jun 29, 21, 9:55 pm

Programs: Delta, Amex
Originally Posted by wolfie52 View Post
Don't think there are really many "upgrade" opportunities at BW. Their motels/hotels are independently owned and operated. The vast majority simply have single and double rooms. I've stayed in some that have bigger rooms, such as one with 3 queens...but that was needed when I traveled with teens, hardly can be considered an "upgrade".
Yeah - but I only stay at Pluses and Premiers. I purposefully never book suites (which are available) hoping to get upgraded into them. And less and less so has happened even at half empty hotels. Now that it looks like a policy change it really bugs me.

I did a brief stint here - between April and June - at Hilton chain with a status match to gold. It was okay but I wasn't as happy with their coverage on the map. Going back to BW, albeit grumpily so.
Old Nov 15, 21, 9:20 am

As a diamond select, I expect nothing from my very rare visits to a BW. In fairness, I am not a loyal/repeat visiter. Most hotels make zero reference to status.
Old Nov 29, 21, 2:22 am

Definitely feel with BW compared to other chains 90% if my very limited stays (less than 10) have never been offered an upgrade as Diamond Select - the one time I did get upgraded was when I had no status - very odd!

Search this Thread