Points for BW Travel Card

Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Question Points for BW Travel Card

It's been years since I've had activity with Best Western, and I see that it could work for an upcoming stay to be with them. I see that my points could get a $50 Travel Card. Some things that aren't that clear on the site:
  • Is a "Travel Card Virtual," as it sounds, something that doesn't call for a card to be snail-mailed? Is it something emailed and printed out, or something a property would call up on my account to discount the booked rate?
  • What is the meaning of "Elite Offer," giving the $50 card for 11K rather than 12K points? If it requires elite status, my long-dormant account shows me as Blue. Years ago I was given something better in a status match.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
The travel card will be emailed and you will need to print it out. I'm not sure about the status question. You will need to book a non-prepaid rate to use the travel card. The best option is to use one of the corporate codes published in the "hotel deals" wiki on this forum. Safe travels.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the one reply. For the record, I emailed BW Rewards about the "Elite Offer." After a couple of days, they asked me to send my mailing address to verify my identity, not that my question was especially sensitive, and then said I needed a higher status to get the Elite Offer. I suppose that if I'd tried to get that card online, I'd have been blocked, but I had the slight worry that I could have printed it and then been told at check-in that the award was useless. As little as I've used BW, I guess the extra 1000 points in cost won't make a big difference.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 12:03 am

Programs: Choice Hotels
In my experience, most Best Western Hotels that you can get for 12000 points are generally around 50 to $60 a night if you pay money. So buying the travel card with points is effectively the same value and will give you more flexibility. There has been an overall devaluation, and I don't see any 8000 Point hotels left. There really aren't all that many at 12,000 anymore. So, I think buying this travel card will be a decent exchange. And again, a corporate code will help you reduce your rate while maintaining the ability to use the travel card for payment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.