Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

BW has started to deduct points at time of booking?

Old Jul 30, 19, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Best Western Gold

Just booked 4 nights in London and points were immediately deducted. Is this a new thing? In the past my points were only deducted after my stay. Kind of sucks because you canít make prospective reservations now.
Old Aug 9, 19, 5:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Looks like it, yes. But they are calling it "holding" the points.
Old Aug 10, 19, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fredandkell View Post
Just booked 4 nights in London and points were immediately deducted. Is this a new thing? In the past my points were only deducted after my stay. Kind of sucks because you can’t make prospective reservations now.
In the past my points were sometimes never deducted, and I bet this problem (and it getting famous) was the reason they started "holding' them in advance.

Points continually not deducted

Plus, even if it was not intentional, some people probably overbooked reward stays, not realizing it, then got into problems because of that.
Old Aug 24, 19, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, BonVoy Silver
Probably just catching up with IHG. Hilton, etc. who do that too. Bummer!
Old Sep 4, 19, 9:48 pm
Original Member

I recently came into enough points for a couple of stays. Do BW redemptions work like all the other program's; make a reward redemption and the points are electronically removed and forwarded to the hotel as payment and nothing further needs to be done? Or do you need to redeem points online (it used to be there but I don't see it anymore) for certificates equal to the amount of the stay you redeemed for?
I have a 2 night stay (1st redemption) in 2 weeks and the points have been taken out of my account. Am I all set?
Old Sep 5, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by general45 View Post
I recently came into enough points for a couple of stays. Do BW redemptions work like all the other program's; make a reward redemption and the points are electronically removed and forwarded to the hotel as payment and nothing further needs to be done? Or do you need to redeem points online (it used to be there but I don't see it anymore) for certificates equal to the amount of the stay you redeemed for?
I have a 2 night stay (1st redemption) in 2 weeks and the points have been taken out of my account. Am I all set?
Seems to be changing. My last few reservations, they have place a hold on my points to ensure that we will have enough for our stay.
Old Sep 26, 19, 10:59 am

Checking the Rewards Activity relating to a free stay last week, there are four entries:

"Points Held For Free Night Stay", -28.000 points at the time of reservation.

"Points Released For Free Night Stay", +28,000 on the day of the free stay.

"Free Nights Toward Elite Status", crediting me with one night but zero points, on the day of the stay.

"Free Night Voucher 28,000 Points" a week after the stay.

It's all very complicated!

Last edited by davehadfield; Sep 26, 19 at 12:47 pm
Old Oct 4, 19, 7:05 pm
Original Member

@davehadfield-same results for me. Points go out, points released back to my account but my points have not been deducted. Plus I received welcome points and stay credit. So I have completed my stay, but the points are still sitting in my account 3 weeks later. As you said, very confusing.
Old Oct 7, 19, 3:19 am

Checking again I noticed that there was another entry for my free night, the Welcome Points.

The reason I was checking was that points for another night's stay haven't yet been credited. . . for some strange reason the reservation is showing as cancelled! That should be easy to sort; next job will be to chase Avis over a rental bonus.

Search this Thread