FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Best Western | Best Western Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/best-western-best-western-rewards-416/)
-   -   Best use of BW Reward Points (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/best-western-best-western-rewards/1931468-best-use-bw-reward-points.html)

lasnowgirl Sep 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Best use of BW Reward Points

Just started accumulating BW points...but wondering what are some of the best use of the points? I assume one should redeem for free nights (vs the terrible redemption on gift cards and such), but at what properties? Any real life experiences out there? Too bad they are no longer give 10% back for reward night redemptions :(

jm1991 Sep 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by lasnowgirl (Post 30222953)
Just started accumulating BW points...but wondering what are some of the best use of the points? I assume one should redeem for free nights (vs the terrible redemption on gift cards and such), but at what properties? Any real life experiences out there? Too bad they are no longer give 10% back for reward night redemptions :(

I usually calculate the cost of the room vs the points needed before redeeming. some are worth it, some are not. Lately i have been just transferring the points to Southwest partner rewards as i can get decent value with their 49-79 dollar one way fares instead of waiting forever to redeem for a free night, which will not earn you any points.

lasnowgirl Sep 19, 2018 5:02 pm

Hmm ok...1200 SW pts for 5000 BW pts, huh? I need to look into that. But, one of the best BW hotels I've stayed at is at the Grand Canyon (Tusayan)...you can get their Junior Suite for 36,000 pts (max pts) and it usually costs $300-400+ a night. I think if we plan another trip there, I would use my pts for that hotel.

Ontariotraveller Sep 20, 2018 2:04 am

We just stayed at BW Mediterraneo in Castelldefels, Spain for 8 nights on points. It is a quick train ride from Barcelona, across from a beautiful Mediterranean beach. 24k points a night!

sdsearch Sep 20, 2018 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by lasnowgirl (Post 30223229)
Hmm ok...1200 SW pts for 5000 BW pts, huh? I need to look into that. But, one of the best BW hotels I've stayed at is at the Grand Canyon (Tusayan)...you can get their Junior Suite for 36,000 pts (max pts) and it usually costs $300-400+ a night. I think if we plan another trip there, I would use my pts for that hotel.

Another great BW hotel near a national park is the Grand near Bryce Canyon. (In fact, the only chain hotels near Bryce Canyon are two BWs, the newer Grand and a much older Ruby's Inn.) The Grand is only 20,000 points (when available; you tend to have to book well ahead), and has the biggest/best free-to-all-guests breakfast buffet I've yet seen in the USA.

lasnowgirl Sep 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 30227059)
Another great BW hotel near a national park is the Grand near Bryce Canyon. (In fact, the only chain hotels near Bryce Canyon are two BWs, the newer Grand and a much older Ruby's Inn.) The Grand is only 20,000 points (when available; you tend to have to book well ahead), and has the biggest/best free-to-all-guests breakfast buffet I've yet seen in the USA.

Thanks for the suggestions! I actually have those hotels booked and think I am leaning towards Grand vs Ruby's Inn. I think for the price, I booked a paid stay instead of a reward stay for now. But FYI, Grand is 28k and Ruby's Inn is 20k now.

sdsearch Sep 21, 2018 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by lasnowgirl (Post 30227574)
Thanks for the suggestions! I actually have those hotels booked and think I am leaning towards Grand vs Ruby's Inn. I think for the price, I booked a paid stay instead of a reward stay for now. But FYI, Grand is 28k and Ruby's Inn is 20k now.

I assume it must depend on the date, because I just did a sample date in January to see what the Grand redemption rate was, and it showed 20k as of yesterday.

lasnowgirl Sep 23, 2018 12:03 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 30230621)
I assume it must depend on the date, because I just did a sample date in January to see what the Grand redemption rate was, and it showed 20k as of yesterday.

That's right...I think BW does dynamic pricing for rewards. I booked for April and it's probably a busier time with kids and spring break.

Brendan Sep 23, 2018 8:47 pm

I generally find that most room redemptions value BW points at half a cent each ($5 per K.) So if 1200 SW miles = $25, it's an OK deal. However, if I can get $8 or even $10 per K on a free room, I grab it!
BW points-prices varied by calendar month, last time I checked.

barracuda93 Dec 4, 2018 5:28 pm

Any decent use for BW points in Asia? Or just convert them to AsiaMiles?

Fyd Dec 12, 2018 3:50 am

Originally Posted by barracuda93 (Post 30499429)
Any decent use for BW points in Asia? Or just convert them to AsiaMiles?

​​​​​​There are a number of nice, new BW hotels around SE Asia, but so far I've never found more than 0.6ct/pt anywhere...

sdsearch Dec 13, 2018 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by lasnowgirl (Post 30222953)
Just started accumulating BW points...but wondering what are some of the best use of the points?

At this time of year, it would be this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/best...ly-winter.html

for hotels in USA & Canada (if the date restrictions are not a problem for you).

Bryce Canyon NP can be beautiful after a snowfall (long enough after for it be reasonable to drive to there, short enough after for the snow to still be on and between the formations, but long enough after so that the beautiful color of the formations is peeking out from behind the snow enough). And the Bryce Canyon City BW Grand Hotel is one of the best BW hotels in the USA probably.

barracuda93 Dec 14, 2018 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 30533275)
At this time of year, it would be this:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/best...ly-winter.html
for hotels in USA & Canada (if the date restrictions are not a problem for you).

Thanks, but USA is not an option for me.

Anyway, I have seen AsiaMiles offers 1.5x on converted points now, so went for that.

iamamy Jan 7, 2019 1:32 pm

Any nice points value BW recommendations in San Francisco?

jm1991 Jan 8, 2019 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by iamamy (Post 30623657)
Any nice points value BW recommendations in San Francisco?

Unfortunately you only have 2 choices. The Bw by the airport (around 20k pnts) or the Cartwright downtown (around 36K pnts). Just depends what you are in SF for and if they have the points options available for the days you are staying. Ive stayed at the Cartwright hotel around 4 times already and to me works perfect due to the location if you are there to tour. It would justify the points difference than having to hassle with uber or public transportation.