Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Western Plus - Who decides the Plus?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Best Western Plus - Who decides the Plus?

Recently staying in an East European Airport BW Plus, I was surprised at the looks/service/amenities provided, having read the definition on the website:

Come experience why Best Western Plus hotels have been winning awards from both leisure and business travelers. From our stylish modern designs to the upgraded amenities, guests enjoy comfort and value when staying at Best Western Plus hotels. Best Western Plus hotels proudly offer breakfast each morning and some offer customizable "build your own"* breakfast stations, free high-speed internet, a fitness center*, business center, and laundry/dry-cleaning services.Our spacious guest rooms allow room for work or play. Most offer an oversized desk / work space, in-room mini-refrigerator, and stylish bath amenities.Book your stay today and see why Best Western Plus hotels are loved by guests.

Besides from having to call 4 times to finally get the previously arranged shuttle, at check-in it was clear that BF was extra, as was WiFi. The receptionist knew nothing about any Business center. As per 'spacious guest rooms', there was barely room to turn around between bed and walls. As only 'most offer an over-sized desk', I guess I can't complain then, my room had NO desk. No sight of mini-refrigerator, and bath amenities were out of style.

One might hope this was not a typical BW, even classed without Plus. But 'loved by guests', in this case no way.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:41 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
The "Plus" is decided based on a lengthy list of brand standards, which may or may not improve your experience.
I've never picked my hotel based on the hight of the head board or similar....
I wouldn't pick a BW hotel based on the Standard, Plus or Premier classification, but on individual reviews...
Old Dec 11, 2017, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
The choice was actually not based on the Plus suffix per se. Staying 6+ h, proximity to airport, availability of a hotel shuttle and reviews were prime chriteria. Beeing part of a well known chain of hotels pushed my interest a tad, but IIRC, my previous BW stay was >15years ago.

The problems with reading reviews are that you don't know the reference scale of the reviewer; i.e. with hostel standard previous experience this hotel room was well worth a 4 or even a 5.

Lesson learned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.