Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

BW Plus Encina Inn & Suites - Santa Barbara

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold

I had a pleasant stay last month. There was a $20+ one-night mistake rate, so I booked that night and the night before for a two-night traincation.

The location is in a residential area near Cottage Hospital, a few blocks northwest of the main downtown core State Street. It's two-story motor lodge construction. Stairs, no elevator.
https://goo.gl/maps/nR6LCogUJS42

Uber from the Amtrak station was $9 midweek 8 pm. At check-out, I found out the hotel offers free transportation to/from the train station and the airport. I don't see any mention of the service on their website. Not sure if they require advance notice, but the front desk offered and the van and driver were available.

At check-in, I declined a room upgrade to a King Suite because I really didn't need a kitchen and more space, and didn't want to deal with stairs. Was given the choice of 500 points or a snack as a Diamond member. The lobby is part gift shop, has a nice small seating area, a couple of computer stations (iirc), bowls of oranges and apples, and self-serve coffee.

The standard King ground floor room I had was huge. Comfortable bed, a recliner, an armchair, desk, dresser, flat screen tv, sliding glass door and a small non-fenced patio, mini fridge, full size mirrored closet, coffee maker, an apple and a couple oranges. I didn't hear any neighbor noise through the walls, or footsteps above me.

Sink and vanity separate from the shower and toilet. Spacious, not the kind of bathroom where you have to close the door before you sit on the toilet. A few notables - good water pressure, a small exterior window for ventilation, AND a real bath mat, the kind that's fluffy plush with rubbery backing so it doesn't slide around the tile.

I didn't use the pool, hot tub, or on-site restaurant. A coupon is given at check-in valid for (iirc) 20% off one-time dining. I assumed it was a dank, cheesy diner, but took a quick peek on my last night and googled for reviews and it seems it's a decently rated restaurant. If I hadn't still been full from my Super Taqueria lunch and if they didn't close so early (9pm), I would have ordered the beet salad, or had dessert delivered by room service.
https://www.liveoakcafe.com/

The one quirk, something I've never experienced before, was the motion sensor in the hall. More than a few times, during the night, as I shifted in bed, the (very bright) nightstand lamp turned on! I thought ghosts at first, then spotted the gizmo on the wall the next day.

My photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/1TT7PHHjbPZhpcLf2
Hotel website: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/bo...ode.05206.html
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:14 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by boxo
The one quirk, something I've never experienced before, was the motion sensor in the hall. More than a few times, during the night, as I shifted in bed, the (very bright) nightstand lamp turned on! I thought ghosts at first, then spotted the gizmo on the wall the next day.
Just hate BW motion-sensor lights. I am one of those people who needs to sleep with the light on. I have to carry plug-in nightlights with me if I use BW.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by 1P
Just hate BW motion-sensor lights. I am one of those people who needs to sleep with the light on. I have to carry plug-in nightlights with me if I use BW.
Are motion sensor lights becoming common/standard in BWs? or any other chain? In the bedroom was a first for me. Bathrooms, yes. Never a bedside table lamp!

I also usually sleep with a light on - entry way or bathroom - in case I have to get up in the middle of the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.