Convert Cash Booking to Points Booking / Changes

Old Jul 7, 17, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G
Convert Cash Booking to Points Booking / Changes

So my situation is that I saw a room available for one of the Best Westerns on the solar eclipse path. I've kept checking more or less daily for open rooms after it was always booked out, hoping to catch one.

But when I looked, it was only available for booking August 19-21, NOT August 20-21. Weird, I know. Compound it, I only have enough points available for one night, not two. So out of fear the room would become unavailable I booked it with a flexible booking for two nights. Now, my options in terms of priority are as follows:

1. Convert the two-night cash stay into a one-night points stay (only 20-21)
2. After I collect more points to cover two nights, convert the two-night cash stay into a 2-night points stay.

Would those things be possible without cancelling, e.g. by simply phoning in? The alternative would be to cancel and then hope the room re-appears and I'm around to snag it again as a points rate.

Now the real question is, why was the room only bookable as a 2-night stay and not as a 1-night? The hotel definitely allows 1-night stays on other dates. Should I have just dialed in and said that I can see the room available for a 2-night stay but I'd only like to book it for one night?

Paying cash isn't part of the equation because unsurprisingly, eclipse nights are crazy expensive.
Old Jul 8, 17, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
So my situation is that I saw a room available for one of the Best Westerns on the solar eclipse path. I've kept checking more or less daily for open rooms after it was always booked out, hoping to catch one.

But when I looked, it was only available for booking August 19-21, NOT August 20-21. Weird, I know. Compound it, I only have enough points available for one night, not two. So out of fear the room would become unavailable I booked it with a flexible booking for two nights. Now, my options in terms of priority are as follows:

1. Convert the two-night cash stay into a one-night points stay (only 20-21)
2. After I collect more points to cover two nights, convert the two-night cash stay into a 2-night points stay.

Would those things be possible without cancelling, e.g. by simply phoning in? The alternative would be to cancel and then hope the room re-appears and I'm around to snag it again as a points rate.

Now the real question is, why was the room only bookable as a 2-night stay and not as a 1-night? The hotel definitely allows 1-night stays on other dates. Should I have just dialed in and said that I can see the room available for a 2-night stay but I'd only like to book it for one night?

Paying cash isn't part of the equation because unsurprisingly, eclipse nights are crazy expensive.
So you figured out the latter, but not the former? The answer is the same, the hotel gets more income from two nights than one, and so for this very special event, they instituted a two-night minimum. Lots of hotels (in lots of programs) do multi-night minimums during certain events, even though they have 1-night minimums at other times.

I doubt you can do it if you don't have enough points for both nights, and I'm not ever sure you could do it (without cancelling and rebooking) if you did have enough points for both nights.

The hotel is likely to be sold out by the time you do A or B, even if it's not sold out today. (But it really still not sold out today?)

And many Best Western only have rooms available on points a long as the "cheapest" room is available. Once that room sells out, other rooms may be available with cash, but no rooms may be available on points. For this reason, I'm not at all sure you could convert the cash stay to a points stay no matter what, depending on whether the exact room type you got is the type that's available at that hotel on points.
Old Jul 8, 17, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
So you figured out the latter, but not the former? The answer is the same, the hotel gets more income from two nights than one, and so for this very special event, they instituted a two-night minimum. Lots of hotels (in lots of programs) do multi-night minimums during certain events, even though they have 1-night minimums at other times.

I doubt you can do it if you don't have enough points for both nights, and I'm not ever sure you could do it (without cancelling and rebooking) if you did have enough points for both nights.

The hotel is likely to be sold out by the time you do A or B, even if it's not sold out today. (But it really still not sold out today?)

And many Best Western only have rooms available on points a long as the "cheapest" room is available. Once that room sells out, other rooms may be available with cash, but no rooms may be available on points. For this reason, I'm not at all sure you could convert the cash stay to a points stay no matter what, depending on whether the exact room type you got is the type that's available at that hotel on points.
It is sold out, that's why

I have a flexible booking already done for what arguably was the last room available, so depending on what I read here I'll change my approach to the phone call, obv. If I can't get it for one night on points I'll ask for two nights on points, and if I can't do that as a "change" I'll cancel and hope it becomes available again immediately/soon after so I can book it on points.
Old Jul 9, 17, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
It is sold out, that's why

I have a flexible booking already done for what arguably was the last room available, so depending on what I read here I'll change my approach to the phone call, obv. If I can't get it for one night on points I'll ask for two nights on points, and if I can't do that as a "change" I'll cancel and hope it becomes available again immediately/soon after so I can book it on points.
But like I said, cancelling may return the room to paid availability (though possibly at a higher rate than you have now) but not to award availability, if you didn't verify at the time of booking that the same room was available for points with the same two-night minimum (which you haven't stated).

I suggest, at the very least, that first you try a test booking search for the same hotel on a nowhere-near-the-eclipse date and see if your room type is one of the room types available for reward nights or not. (Presumably on such a search you'll see that way fewer room types are probably available for reward nights than for paid nights, if try both types of searches for the same date that has both rewards nights and paid nights available.)

I suggest you want to be armed with as much understanding of what might be possible before you make that call. In one case, you may be asking BW just to change a room from paid to reward, in another case you may be asking BW to declare a room that's normally not available for a reward as an exception reward, and if you don't the difference, you won't appreciate the much greater difficulty of the latter compared to the former.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 9, 17 at 9:29 pm
Old Jul 9, 17, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
But like I said, cancelling may return the room to paid availability (though possibly at a higher rate than you have now) but not to award availability, if you didn't verify at the time of booking that the same room was available for points with the same two-night minimum (which you haven't stated).

I suggest, at the very least, that first you try a test booking search for the same hotel on a nowhere-near-the-eclipse date and see if your room type is one of the room types available for reward nights or not. (Presumably on such a search you'll see that way fewer room types are probably available for reward nights than for paid nights, if try both types of searches for the same date that has both rewards nights and paid nights available.)

I suggest you want to be armed with as much understanding of what might be possible before you make that call. In one case, you may be asking BW just to change a room from paid to reward, in another case you may be asking BW to declare a room that's normally not available for a reward as an exception reward, and if you don't the difference, you won't appreciate the much greater difficulty of the latter compared to the former.
It was available for 2-night award booking - I just didn't have enough points for it. I checked that and booked that exact same room with a flexible rate that was also available on points. So it was definitely available and I'd just be changing the type from cash to rewards indeed.

Search this Thread