Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

SUM17: $10 travel card (AAA: $20) every NIGHT, May 22 - Sep 4, 2017, uncapped

Old May 13, 17, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unlike previous travel card promos, this one you earn per night, not per stay, so you earn more on multi-nights stays, and you don't have to "hotel hop" to maximize your earnings.

Most people will get a $10 travel card for every qualifying* paid night. BW AAA members get a $20 travel card every qualifying* paid night.

* In simple terms, "qualifying" means using a rate which normally earns points, and booking in a way that normally earns points. Ie, paid rates chosen from the dropdown of rates at Best Western's website should count, most third-party sites don't count, reward stays don't count, etc.

Each travel card you earn has 120 days life, and you can redeem multiple travel cards on one stay (even one night). Travel cards will be emailed only, so you must have a valid email on file at Best Western and you must make sure you check that email (including checking to see if it accidentally went into "spam" or whatever).

And note this regional restriction: "Best Western Rewards Members who reside in North America may stay at any Best Western branded hotel worldwide. Best Western Rewards Members who reside outside of North America must stay at a Best Western branded hotel in North America."

www.bestwestern.com/summer (once there, if you're a BW AAA member, click the AAA logo for the AAA version of the promo)

At that site (for each version of the promo), there is a Frequently Asked Questions link and a Terms & Conditions link.
Old May 18, 17, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
I got this offer in my monthly email, but I cannot register. Wouldn't our own emails include targeted offers for the specific member? or am I not eligible for this? I keep getting an error message. Mine is listed as something available to BW Corporate Travelers. Any thoughts?
Old May 18, 17, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777 View Post
I got this offer in my monthly email, but I cannot register. Wouldn't our own emails include targeted offers for the specific member? or am I not eligible for this? I keep getting an error message. Mine is listed as something available to BW Corporate Travelers. Any thoughts?
Can't register which way? There are two ways to register:

1. Go to the website above, then select your subprogram if any.

2. Log in to Best Western, then from the same dropdown (from the upper right) where you can view My Account, select Special Offers, and that'll take you to a page where you should see all the varieties of the summer offer in a list (if you haven't registered yet; once you've registered, you'll only the variety you registered for). If you're in a subprogram that you see listed, try to register for the version for that subprogram, otherwise just try to register for the main one (which I think is listed first), which just says SUM17 for the promo code (without any letters added; the subprogram versions say stuff like RRSUM17 or whatever).

If neither works (or, if you prefer, you can try this first), you may want to call Best Western customer service on the phone, and see if they can register you.

Sorry, I've never heard of BW Corporate Travelers before.
Old May 31, 17, 5:54 pm

Programs: *G
The T&C doesn't sound it like requires you to register prior to BOOKING, only prior to STAYING - i have a reservation that falls within the promotional window but which I made without using the promo code/before the promo - it should still count as long as I'm registered before the first eligible night, correct?
Old May 31, 17, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
The T&C doesn't sound it like requires you to register prior to BOOKING, only prior to STAYING - i have a reservation that falls within the promotional window but which I made without using the promo code/before the promo - it should still count as long as I'm registered before the first eligible night, correct?
I'll let you know. I just registered and have a stay tomorrow that I booked months ago.
Old May 31, 17, 8:44 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by puchalskir View Post
I'll let you know. I just registered and have a stay tomorrow that I booked months ago.
thanks, please do!
Old Jun 1, 17, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Smiley90 View Post
I don't see why it shouldn't.

Yes, but be aware that it can take a couple weeks or so for those travel card emails to come after the stay (based on how long it took in previous cycles, and based on how long it's taking me -- not yet received -- for my 2 stays Mon & Wed of last week). So just because you have a stay tomorrow doesn't mean that you'll know whether it worked that soon.
Old Jun 7, 17, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Exclamation "Our apologies: Your Gift Cards are on their way" email from BW

I got this email today from Best Western Rewards entitled: "Our apologies: Your Gift Cards are on their way":
We haven't forgotten about your gift cards!

Our sincere apologies for the delay in getting you the Best Western Travel Cards you've earned since our Summer Promotion began on May 22, 2017.

We're extending the expiration date on these travel cards so that you'll have the same amount of time to use them for an upcoming stay, and expect to get them out to you in the next few days.

We sincerely thank you for being a valued member of Best Western Rewards and apologize for this delay.

Indeed, my first stay under this promo was the night of May 22, and it's been more than 3 weeks, and nothing yer!

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 7, 17 at 10:01 pm
Old Jun 8, 17, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Plat, AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat Prem
I have registered for these promos and 99% of the time they either don't send the gift cards; the hotels don't apply them even when you print it out and hand over at checkin; or they are already used when BW send them to me. Not sure I will bother with these anymore because it's such a disaster every time, but $20 is surely better than $10 and is nice to use at airport hotels...as long as they work.
Old Jun 8, 17, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I was using up a $10 travel card (from the last promo) on a stay the other night. The evening clerk didn't give my printout to the person they were supposed to, and as a result it didn't get run overnight. Then when I was checking out, the clerk couldn't get the BW travel card deposit site to work (it wasn't responding to clicks at a certain point). Luckily he agreed to just add the credit on the folio (the two systems, one for depositing the card, the other for deducting the card amount from the folio, apparently aren't linked), and said I'm all set, and that it'll be his problem, not mine, if he can't get my card entered. (I think he may have been the manager. This was at a small BW where they do things rather informally, including not wearing badges explaining the person's position.)
Old Jun 10, 17, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I got an email a few days after the above confusingly saying "here is your $40 gift card". They took two $20 gift cards I earned the same week and put them in same email. What if I want to use them at different hotels? How confusing!

They do have a mid-November expiration.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 14, 17 at 12:01 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jun 13, 17, 2:31 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Sdsearch, it should not be a problem, as very few BW hotels have room rates <$40 a night ! So just suck it up & use the whole $40 at one hotel !
Old Jun 14, 17, 11:15 am

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
Originally Posted by sdsearch View Post
I got an email a few days after the above confusingly saying "here is your $40 gift card". They took two $20 gift cards I earned the same week and put them in same email. Want if I want to use them at different hotels? How confusing!

They do have a mid-November expiration.
The hotels have the ability to chose how much to redeem. So just tell them only redeem $20 from it and keep the number to use at the other location.

I have yet to receive mine. Quick question though, i registered for the AAA $20 promo but the rate i stayed at was not the AAA rate, will it still count or does it have to be the AAA rate?
Old Jun 14, 17, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jm1991 View Post
The hotels have the ability to chose how much to redeem. So just tell them only redeem $20 from it and keep the number to use at the other location.
Yes, but they would have to make note of which one they used, otherwise the next hotel might have to try two numbers to figure out which one is the unused one.

I can deal with (saving the "$40" for a more expensive hotel later), but it just irks me that they made it hard for their own hotels by combining them this way without me asking.

OTOH, at one hotel I stayed at last month where I used up one of my $10 cards from the last promo, the clerk told that once he had someone use 17 $10 cards for one stay, and mentioned just how long it took for the hotel to redeem all 17 cards one at a time .

So it would be nice if BW put the value of these into your account, instead of just emailing them to you, and then you could request that they be issued in any ($10 multiple or whatever) amount, so if you needed $170 in travel cards for one hotel, you could just print a $170 travel card from the website and have the hotel process one travel card instead of 17.

But that would be too much to ask for from the only hotel site I use that can't remember my credit card number, and yet requires a captcha for logins (I'm getting so tired of looking for street signs! ).

Originally Posted by jm1991 View Post
I have yet to receive mine. Quick question though, i registered for the AAA $20 promo but the rate i stayed at was not the AAA rate, will it still count or does it have to be the AAA rate?
The $20 is based on whether you're a AAA "subprogram" member (as well as whether you registered for that promo). I don't see why it should depend on whether you used the AAA rate.

(I have no direct experience, though, because I can't remember when I used a rate other than AAA for BW.)

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 14, 17 at 12:17 pm
Old Jun 16, 17, 10:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, SPG Plat
I just received my $10 GC today. Exactly 2 weeks from checkout.

Search this Thread