new elite benefits at BW

Old Feb 17, 17, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

new elite benefits at BW

I just received an email about this from BW today. It contained this link:
https://www.bestwestern.com/content/...-benefits.html
  • Free night redemptions count towards elite status (for everyone)

• Choice of thank you gift or points upon arrival.* (for Gold and above)

• 10% point discount on free night redemptions.* (for Platinum and above, via rebate)

• Free night availability, Guaranteed.* (for Diamond and above, requires calling, not available online)

The 10% point discount via rebate sound similar to what IHG gives to its Chase cardholders (to which it also gives Platinum status, but the 10% rebate at IHG comes from the card, not from the status).

The free night availability, guaranteed, sounds amazing, in that it means you don't have to worry if "standard" rooms are sold out. And, who knows, you might be able to use it get better rooms, if you wait until the lesser rooms are sold out to invoke it! (Thought that risks the hotel getting completely sold out, of course. )
Old Feb 17, 17, 7:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
This looks great. Wish they would extend the free night guarantee outside of the US and Canada

With SPG as long as a standard room is available you can book with points regardless of status level or location
Old Feb 22, 17, 6:15 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
That does look good - but I won't hold my breath: BW has a terrible track record training franchise staff and enforcing policies, so I'd be surprised to get a welcome gift ��
Old Feb 22, 17, 8:31 am

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
Free night availability sounds like its the most useful since there are hotels where using your points is almost impossible.
Old Mar 2, 17, 6:18 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Maybe BW is really trying to up their game after all.
Old Mar 10, 17, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Aeroplan, Best Western, IHG Rewards, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
Maybe BW is really trying to up their game after all.
Agreed and glad to see it as well!
Old Jul 13, 17, 7:54 pm
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Has anybody actually received any of these benefits? I had several recent stays - got nothing...
Old Jul 14, 17, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by Fyd View Post
Has anybody actually received any of these benefits? I had several recent stays - got nothing...
I'm Diamond and just spent 4 nights at West Yellowstone. I didn't get even a mention of any of these benefits.
Old Jul 14, 17, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fyd View Post
Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
I'm Diamond and just spent 4 nights at West Yellowstone. I didn't get even a mention of any of these benefits.
I'm confused about what you're asking. 10% discount on free night redemptions doesn't apply to paid stays, obviously. Free night availability doesn't come into play unless the hotel is highly booked (and then has to be done over the phone, as noted above), and also doesn't apply to paid stays. Free night redemptions counting toward elite status don't apply to paid stays, obviously.

So what do mean by "any of these" benefits? The only benefit above you should expect on paid stays is either a welcome gift or bonus points. And lately I keep getting (duplicates of) emails from BW telling me that as Diamond I've just received 500 bonus points from (and then email gets cut off half the time before it can tell me the hotel name ). And those 500 points do actually post. But I don't remember if any of the hotels asked me if I wanted the bonus points or a welcome gift, though if they had I would have asked for the bonus points I'm pretty sure, so it's hard for me to be sure in retrospect.

So I have been getting the only expected benefit of 500 bonus points per stay as a Diamond (actually Diamond Select), but I haven't been getting asked consistently whether I want that or a welcome gift, I just get it "silently". But per that link that's not new for Diamond, it's only new for Gold (and should have been there for Plat, Diamond, and Diamond Select earlier already).

So you guys need to explain which elite level you are (one's Diamond but the other?) and specifically which of these elite status benefits you think you should be getting but aren't getting?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 14, 17 at 9:43 pm
Old Jul 15, 17, 10:52 am

I wasn't sure what the OP meant either. I do know I did not receive a welcome gift or points and I did not receive any sort of 10% rebate of points used on my stay either. Since my stay was with points, I not sure if they really offer Diamonds anything. It wasn't important enough to me to even check.
Old Jul 17, 17, 2:04 pm

I always get recognition and the welcome gift when I go to my favorite Best Western Plus. I stay there many times a year to visit family. Great hotel. Most of the time they give me the 500 points as well as the gift.

I was left a night short of platinum status after my recent disappointing stay at a different Plus. After my attempts to communicate with the hotel in question I contacted BW. They thanked me for my loyalty and gave me Platinum status which I didn't ask for. I'm pretty pleased so far. Maybe I will go for Diamond!
Old Jul 17, 17, 10:36 pm

Just checked my account again and low and behold the 500 bonus points for stay as a Diamond were deposited into my account. I also received the 250 for giving a review and some additional points I wasn't expecting. So, I stand corrected and thank the hotel in West Yellowstone for their follow through.
Old Nov 13, 17, 6:38 pm

My most recent BW hotel didn't proactively mention my diamond status, so I casually asked if they do anything for diamond status. The front desk agent responded by asking if I meant Expedia status that's a thing?). And then finally he said "we don't recognize BW status". The hotel was acquired by BW 7 months ago and is marketed as a BW and the booming was made on the BW website.

Unsurprisingly they wouldn't even give me 30 minutes of late checkout.

Honestly what's the point of the loyalty program. If anything, it makes me less loyal each time one of their hotels disappoints.
Old Nov 14, 17, 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Nazdoom View Post
My most recent BW hotel didn't proactively mention my diamond status, so I casually asked if they do anything for diamond status. The front desk agent responded by asking if I meant Expedia status that's a thing?). And then finally he said "we don't recognize BW status". The hotel was acquired by BW 7 months ago and is marketed as a BW and the booming was made on the BW website.

Unsurprisingly they wouldn't even give me 30 minutes of late checkout.

Honestly what's the point of the loyalty program. If anything, it makes me less loyal each time one of their hotels disappoints.
Ask for a manager. In many BW hotels the manager is the only one who is familiar with the elite programs, promotions etc.
If he/she is not around, after your stay leave a message in your review for the manager.
Old Nov 14, 17, 9:09 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by pirossalma View Post
Ask for a manager. In many BW hotels the manager is the only one who is familiar with the elite programs, promotions etc.
If he/she is not around, after your stay leave a message in your review for the manager.
So often when checking in in the evening, there is no manager around. Whoever is around the front desk is the acting manager. You can leave a message for the manager, which may or may not get to a manager the next day.

Search this Thread