Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points continually not deducted

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
As I mentioned in my post # 7 upthread, I've had some hotels not deduct points at all, while others deduct too many (and no number of calls fixed the latter). So I decided to let both kind of errors sit.

In my case, I go long enough between redemptions that it's very unlikely by the next redemption that a redemption from over a year ago will suddenly be charged. And I try to make sure that I have enough points to cover all the redemptions I made in the past year, just in case.
Fair point. I don’t stay at BW often enough to observe trends of any kind, so it’s tough for me to judge. In my case I came out OK (see neighboring thread).
Old Oct 25, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
FYI, just stayed at a hotel in the U.S. over 2 weeks ago and hotel has yet to deduct the points. Stayed 2 nights totaling 72,000 points. I really don't have any future plans for the points but do agree with the prior post and that if it goes to 12 months, then I believe I can spend those again and not have to worry about hotel trying to deduct those points afterwards...
Old Oct 25, 2017, 5:41 pm

I completed an award stay in Germany 3 weeks ago (3 rooms, 84K pts) and the points still haven't been deducted from my account. Interesting.....
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:31 am

Were you checking-in late, checking out early?
According my experience the night shift employers might have problem handling points, promotions - when no manager available to help.

Something similar happend to us a couple of times - we waited 6 months before using the points.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by pirossalma
According my experience the night shift employers might have problem handling points, promotions - when no manager available to help.

Something similar happend to us a couple of times - we waited 6 months before using the points.
Nope. Checked in around 1 pm, checked out around 9 am.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum & Ambassdor, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pirossalma

We did check in on a Saturday afternoon, and they guy that checked us in always was working in the breakfast area the next 2 days, so possible he didn't completely know how to handle the deduction of points. He didn't seem like an Owner, or even a Manager...
Old Oct 26, 2017, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One of my never-deducted-points stays was a 5-night stay, and another was a 3-night stay. You'd think that during that time, if anyone at the hotel can do it, they would have had someone who could have known how to pull the points at some point during my stay (unless maybe they were on vacation?).

OTOH, I have stayed, using a BW TravelCard, at one hotel a few times where the night clerk never processes the Travel Card and never lets the morning manager know that there is a Travel Card to be processed, and then when I check out the morning manager discovers the Travel Card printout folded up in my room's folder, and complains once again about that night manger. So that's certainly evidence that some people who work at BW's either don't know how to do all sorts of things on the BW system or just don't bother to do them!

Meanwhile, I presume that it's only a small fraction of stays at most hotels which are on points, and thus the hotels don't realize in their accounting that they are missing a bit of revenue.

Last edited by sdsearch; Oct 26, 2017 at 11:53 am
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:21 pm

I've got a reservation for 3 rooms next week at the Georgian Court in Vancouver. My reservation is showing up with the cash price when I look online. Is that normal? When I called in to BW to book the lady confirmed with me it would cost 30,000 points but the reservation is now showing cash prices. Any tips? I've heard this happen to other people before their points weren't deducted but unsure as to if I'm going to be charged cash or points now.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by ennsy
I've got a reservation for 3 rooms next week at the Georgian Court in Vancouver. My reservation is showing up with the cash price when I look online. Is that normal? When I called in to BW to book the lady confirmed with me it would cost 30,000 points but the reservation is now showing cash prices. Any tips? I've heard this happen to other people before their points weren't deducted but unsure as to if I'm going to be charged cash or points now.
It's normal because the hotel is poorly managed and is new to BW (integrating systems). They'll honor it as pts stay on checkin but they didnt actually deduct my pts (I earned points on the stay instead).

That said, expect 0 elite benefits. Not even 15 minutes of late checkout.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by Nazdoom
It's normal because the hotel is poorly managed and is new to BW (integrating systems). They'll honor it as pts stay on checkin but they didnt actually deduct my pts (I earned points on the stay instead).

That said, expect 0 elite benefits. Not even 15 minutes of late checkout.
I've heard it's pretty bad there. Even for Diamond Select members. I'm hoping things are better now but my hopes aren't high. It's interesting because I recently got a package from BW with a line in it, paraphrasing, "if you feel your stay did not meet expectations of your elite status, please contact us". Did you end up contacting BW after your stay?
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by gm9928
Nope. Checked in around 1 pm, checked out around 9 am.
10 months after my stay, I got an email today (all in German) stating that, essentially, "we are a new property in Best Western" and we didn't have our sh*t together, so NOW we need to deduct those 84K points. Wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have a redemption (yes, with those 84K pts) starting in 2 days!

I knew it was too good to be true! Gotta pays for those rooms now, but at least i can use my Barclaycard Arrival+ to offset the cost!
Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
10 months after my stay, I got an email today (all in German) stating that, essentially, "we are a new property in Best Western" and we didn't have our sh*t together, so NOW we need to deduct those 84K points. Wouldn't be a problem if I didn't have a redemption (yes, with those 84K pts) starting in 2 days!

I knew it was too good to be true! Gotta pays for those rooms now, but at least i can use my Barclaycard Arrival+ to offset the cost!
I would call customer service and state that this was their fault and if they do redeem the points that they should match them because you already have a stay planned on using them.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, in my case, the hotels that didn't pull the points were not new properties in Best Western, and it's now been about two years for one property in Alaska, and getting close to one year for one property in the US Pacific Northwest , and I haven't heard a thing from either one.

I maintain enough points to cover if one of them comes back and demands the points "late", but not necessarily if both suddenly do.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jm1991
I would call customer service and state that this was their fault and if they do redeem the points that they should match them because you already have a stay planned on using them.
Or at the very least BW should loan them the points to cover their upcoming stay.
Old Jul 25, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; SPG/Marriott - Gold
I, too, have had luck with points not being deducted for a BW stay in Nova Scotia. I wish I had happened onto this thread a few months ago. I had a points stay where the front desk attendant told me I owed $30. I corrected her. I didn't pay the $30, but she deducted the 20k points from my account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.