FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Best Western | Best Western Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/best-western-best-western-rewards-416/)
-   -   BW mastercard time to post bonus? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/best-western-best-western-rewards/1769094-bw-mastercard-time-post-bonus.html)

stheller May 30, 2016 9:56 am

BW mastercard time to post bonus?

I was wondering how long it might take for my bonus points to post from using the BW Rewards Premium Mastercard. Does anyone have recent experience with this card?

Thanks.

sdsearch May 30, 2016 10:50 pm

Which bonus?

The bonus for using the card at BWs posts soon after each statement (on which you had BW stays) posts (along with any points earned without a bonus elsewhere).

Since my card was converted from a long-held Barclay BW card to a First Bankcard BW card, I didn't get a signup bonus, so if that's the kind of bonus you're asking about, that I don't know.

supernewfcombo Jun 1, 2016 6:18 pm

I was approved in Jan, I received my BW credit card first week of Feb.Made my first purchase the first week of Feb. I just received my signup bonus two days ago, and only because of repeated calls to MBNA who blamed Best Western for the delay.

sdsearch Jun 2, 2016 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by supernewfcombo (Post 26714389)
I was approved in Jan, I received my BW credit card first week of Feb.Made my first purchase the first week of Feb. I just received my signup bonus two days ago, and only because of repeated calls to MBNA who blamed Best Western for the delay.

MBNA? I presume you're referring to a Canadian BW credit card (given that you appear to be based in Oshawa, Ontario)?

The BW card in the USA is issued by First Bankcard, and was previously issued by Barclay (formerly Juniper), none of which have anything to do with MBNA (which was acquired by BofA some years back).

And if there are BW credit cards in yet other countries, the issuing banks may be different in each such country.

stheller Jun 7, 2016 5:13 pm

Sorry, I meant the signup bonus for the "premium mastercard" offer from this page: http://www.bestwestern.com/rewards/e...-cc-_-ccoffers

sdsearch Jun 8, 2016 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by stheller (Post 26744931)
Sorry, I meant the signup bonus for the "premium mastercard" offer from this page: http://www.bestwestern.com/rewards/e...-cc-_-ccoffers

There's three of those:
25,000 bonus points after you spend $2,500 in first 3 billing cycles˛
+
25,000 bonus points after you spend total of $5,000 in the first 6 billing cycles˛
+
20,000 bonus points when you spend at least $10,000 during each 12 billing cycle period.˛
Which one(s) have you completed and how long ago? And when was your statement on which the spend was completed?

It says in the T&Cs of the Premier card application (following the link you provided through several clicks to the Premier card application itself):
Provided that the Card Account is in good standing, you can earn the following Bonus Points:

• 25,000 Points if $2,500.00 or more in Net Purchases is posted to the Card Account within the first three Billing Cycles; and
  • 25,000 Points if $5,000.00 or more in Net Purchases is posted to the Card Account within the first six Billing Cycles.

The Bonus Points will be added to the Card Account 4 to 8 weeks after the end of the applicable Billing Cycle (see definition below).

stheller Jun 11, 2016 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 26749862)
There's three of those:
25,000 bonus points after you spend $2,500 in first 3 billing cycles˛
+
25,000 bonus points after you spend total of $5,000 in the first 6 billing cycles˛
+
20,000 bonus points when you spend at least $10,000 during each 12 billing cycle period.˛
Which one(s) have you completed and how long ago? And when was your statement on which the spend was completed?

It says in the T&Cs of the Premier card application (following the link you provided through several clicks to the Premier card application itself):
Provided that the Card Account is in good standing, you can earn the following Bonus Points:

• 25,000 Points if $2,500.00 or more in Net Purchases is posted to the Card Account within the first three Billing Cycles; and
  • 25,000 Points if $5,000.00 or more in Net Purchases is posted to the Card Account within the first six Billing Cycles.

The Bonus Points will be added to the Card Account 4 to 8 weeks after the end of the applicable Billing Cycle (see definition below).

I completed the first two of those within a couple of weeks of getting the card, and the billing cycle was up about two weeks ago, so I guess I should wait at least another couple of weeks before worrying about it.

Maybe I'm just used to bonuses posting a lot faster than promised, as seems to happen with the BA and AA cards.

Thanks.

eajusa Jun 11, 2016 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by stheller (Post 26764494)
I completed the first two of those within a couple of weeks of getting the card, and the billing cycle was up about two weeks ago, so I guess I should wait at least another couple of weeks before worrying about it.

Maybe I'm just used to bonuses posting a lot faster than promised, as seems to happen with the BA and AA cards.

Thanks.

Many banks including the ones that who offer the BA and AA cards, put in similar language (4 to 8 weeks after statement closing) to cover themselves, but then issue reward points much more quickly. Knowing FBNO (First BankCard), however, it will be 4 to 8 weeks after your statement closed. If you post to this thread when your points do show up, we will have our first data point on this card.

sdsearch Jun 12, 2016 10:34 am

Keep in mind that many banks don't have IT set up to catch such bonuses "on the fly", and instead have separate programs called "sweeps" that they run only occasionally, which go through each account and add up stuff and see if a particular bonuses threshold has been reached.

They may run this only once a month or once every two months or whenever.

Most people don't think how a giant bank with millions of customers figured out whether you've completed the terms for the bonus. It has to be done with technology, they can't afford a human to look at every account. But the technology related to this is not equal at every bank.

For example, there is a current discussion in the Amex forum about how Membership Rewards points take an extra billing cycle to post (from normal earning as well as completing your "20" or "30" purchases in a billing cycle), compared to Chase posting UR points as soon as the billing cycle you earned them in closes, and Citi doing the same for TYP points. Meanwhile, Barclay for their hotel cards that give extra points for use at the hotel (which used to include Best Western until last year), if the stay is too late in the statement cycle, those bonus points take an extra statement to post compared to bonus points for stays early in the statement cycle.

So lots of things work differently at one bank than another, including more quickly at some banks and more slowly at other banks.