New to BW, how many points for a reward night?

Old Apr 5, 16, 11:10 am
Original Poster

New to BW, how many points for a reward night?

i've never stayed at a BW before but have a reservation for a few nights in asia and need to travel a bit around BC where there seem to be quite a few.
I usually like to understand a program before i start using it so that i can maximize the value i derive from it.
i have had SPG platinum status for many years but travels as of late have taken me to places where SPG doesn't have a presence or where there are only very expensive options. One thing that SPG does very well is that they make it very easy to understand redemption costs. Hotels fall into categories that are clearly listed on the hotel page and there are charts of hotels in each category. It's extremely easy to figure out how many points a hotel will cost.

Now i'm looking at BW and i am absolutely lost. I cannot find any type of category or list that states how many points a rewards night costs. Even if i search for a hotel and choose the rewards redemption under rates, it won't display a rate since i don't have enough points.

is there some kind of secret handshake that i need to know in order to find out how much hotels charge for rewards nights???
Old Apr 5, 16, 12:28 pm

On bestwestern.com, choose the dates and hotel, choose Book this Hotel, then click the "View Additional Rates and Rewards" drop down menu above the rate grid, and choose "Use Reward Points". That will tell you how many points a night at that hotel costs, regardless of how many points you actually have.
Old Apr 5, 16, 2:33 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
BW charges a varying amount of points for a free night that depends on how popular each hotel is from month to month. The top amount of points required is 36K a night. For example, the three hotels closest to West Yellowstone will costs 36K points a night in the Summer, 28 or 32K in Spring and Autumn and maybe 24K or even less in Winter. I believe the chain's their lowest redemption rate is 8K per night.
Old Apr 5, 16, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa View Post
BW charges a varying amount of points for a free night that depends on how popular each hotel is from month to month. The top amount of points required is 36K a night. For example, the three hotels closest to West Yellowstone will costs 36K points a night in the Summer, 28 or 32K in Spring and Autumn and maybe 24K or even less in Winter. I believe the chain's their lowest redemption rate is 8K per night.
Actually, they can do this from day to day. I've seen a hotel go up and down in points required several times within one month on that pop-up calendar.

I can imagine, for example, a BW hotel in the Monterrey CA area jumping up to 36000 for period of time when there's the huge Pebble Beach golf tournament nearby, while dropping down otherwise in and around February.
Old Apr 5, 16, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Make sure to sign up for the $25 and other "gift card" promos, as they are on top of points.
Old Apr 5, 16, 3:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cedwards22 View Post
On bestwestern.com, choose the dates and hotel, choose Book this Hotel, then click the "View Additional Rates and Rewards" drop down menu above the rate grid, and choose "Use Reward Points". That will tell you how many points a night at that hotel costs, regardless of how many points you actually have.
Indeed. And you don't need to even have an account (let alone any points in an account) to see the award night prices.
Old Apr 5, 16, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

thank you very much everyone for the replies. i don't know what i did before now that i've done it the way cedwards22 explained. i went round and round and just couldn't find that.
and thanks for the points explanation. i guess one can get an idea of how much hotels cost in points. i was used to fixed prices.
and yes, already signed up for the whopping $25 bonus!!
now let's see how these stays turn out.
Old Apr 5, 16, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
i wish they had just kept the static point categories instead of switching to a dynamic one. And the $25 travel card aint much of a promo either, i got more out of the cat5 cert from marriott even though everyone hates them. I really do hope they bring back the global vouchers that you could use at any point level.
Old Apr 5, 16, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jm1991 View Post
i wish they had just kept the static point categories instead of switching to a dynamic one. And the $25 travel card aint much of a promo either, i got more out of the cat5 cert from marriott even though everyone hates them. I really do hope they bring back the global vouchers that you could use at any point level.
Unlike Choice, which does essentially the same promo over and over (stay 2 times get 8000 total points minimum), BW tends to alternate between different types of promos every few months: Sometimes bonus points, sometimes travel cards like now, sometimes a free night vouchers, etc. So they'll likely bring back vouchers, but then they'll likely bring back bonus points, and then they'll likely bring back travel cards again. It's sort of like some people say about the weather some places: If you don't like it now, just wait a while, and what you want will happen eventually.

But the problem with the BW free night vouchers to date is they have not had full half year, let alone full year, validity like the Marriott Cat 1-5 certs. And since they're only offered at certain times of year, they're only valid at certain times of year. Plus they tend to be "capped" (limits on how many you can earn) much more than other kinds of promos.

Though, still, if you can use one of those in the limited time they've valid, especially in place of a 36000 points night, that can conserve some significant points for you.
Old May 29, 18, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by cedwards22 View Post
Does it still work like this? No matter which hotel and on which dates I try on bestwestern.com I don't see the "Use Rewards Points" option anywhere. Did this change?
How else can I find out how many points are needed for a reward night and how can I actually book a reward night using my points?
Old May 31, 18, 2:49 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL working my way up, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Pinni View Post
Does it still work like this? No matter which hotel and on which dates I try on bestwestern.com I don't see the "Use Rewards Points" option anywhere. Did this change?
How else can I find out how many points are needed for a reward night and how can I actually book a reward night using my points?
Yes, it still works like this. The "Use Reward Points" option is still there on the special rates dropdown menu.

The number of points you will need will depend on the hotel and your dates. Minimum is normally 20,000 per night, but you'll also find much higher redemption rates.
Old Jun 4, 18, 8:28 am

Programs: Affiliated with all, participate in some
Best Western Rewards adopted a standard reward rate model from their dynamic seasonal rates. Hotel reward rates price the same for any specific hotel regardless of date.

As an example, I stayed at Best Western So'Co Nice, France for 8,000 points in Oct 2017. This hotel is now 20,000 points per night for any dates.

I have checked dozens of hotels around the world and this appears to be same fixed reward rates for every hotel in Best Western Rewards. Of hotels I had watched or stayed at I notice the general trend is most hotels increased in reward rate from rates I paid in past, although there are a few hotels I found with lower rates than reward rates I paid for past stays.
Brendan likes this.

Search this Thread