Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

Awful Experience with Best Western Plus O'Hare South

Old Jan 27, 16, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

I left my watch at Chicago O'hare South on 1/19. At first, hotel stuff told me that they could not mail any item to customer. Therefore, two weeks later I rerouted my flight to ORD just to pick up my watch. However, the hotel stuff refused to send me a shuttle bus to the hotel without a reservation. I have never expected such awful customer service.

P.S. The lady in working in the morning are very friendly and willing to help.
I called the customer care number looking for assistance and they could not do anything in this situation. It looks like Best Western doesn't have much control of their individual hotel.

Last edited by tianyu411; Jan 27, 16 at 4:57 pm Reason: Additional info
Old Jan 27, 16, 5:52 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tianyu411 View Post
I called the customer care number looking for assistance and they could not do anything in this situation. It looks like Best Western doesn't have much control of their individual hotel.
The corporate offices probably don't have a lot of control as the chain's individual hotels are all privately owned. It would be interesting to see whether their policies were their own or policies sanctioned by Best Western. My guess is that they are that hotel's and that BW would say they can't control them. That is a distinct disadvantage when staying at a BW compared to a chain that owns its hotels.
Old Jan 28, 16, 11:52 am

Programs: AS, B6, HA, SPG, Hilton
Most hotels are independently owned and/or operated. I think Hyatt is the only chain which owns a large portion of their hotels.

So this would be a policy set by the BW itself.

Still a very poor way of handling the situation, regardless of who owns the hotel. I am not sure if you would even get any sympathy from corporate.
Old Jan 28, 16, 11:07 pm

I might not help you either if you repeatedly called me "stuff"!
Old Jan 29, 16, 11:58 am

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I agree the policy not to mail items to a guest is a failure on their part. The guest should be charged postage but it should be an option.

The shuttle bus situation I think you're asking for too much. That's a service the hotel uses and pays for to get guests to/from the hotel for stays not because you left something behind. Grab a cab it was your fault.
Old Jan 30, 16, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Irpworks View Post
I might not help you either if you repeatedly called me "stuff"!
Haha I didn't mean to be disrespectful.
Old Jan 30, 16, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
I agree the policy not to mail items to a guest is a failure on their part. The guest should be charged postage but it should be an option.

The shuttle bus situation I think you're asking for too much. That's a service the hotel uses and pays for to get guests to/from the hotel for stays not because you left something behind. Grab a cab it was your fault.
Wait till you are in the same situation, hopefully you can say the same thing to yourself.

Although, I haven't left anything in Hilton chains, I don't think they will handle this situation in such manner.
Macy's, Apple, Target and a lot of other companies are leading in customer services. I think bw should learn from those companies.
Old Jan 30, 16, 3:32 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond, Best Western Diamond Select
This location is very disappointing when it comes to truly providing service to their customers as well as being a poor representative of the Best Western brand.
First they won't mail you your watch, then they won't send the shuttle when you were at the airport to retrieve it even though you were a prior guest and retrieving a left item.
I would write the CEO of Best Western a letter and also send one to the Marketing VP and tell them what you told us. This type of bad publicity for not just this location but Best Western in general in this day and age the internet and of things going viral is an embarrassment.
Include your post on flyertalk as well as a screen shot of the thread and how many have viewed it.
I highly doubt that Best Western Corporate wants their guests to be treated so poorly and hiding behind the 'each is independently owned and operated' is not an excuse.
Please write corporate and share with us the response you get.
Old Jan 30, 16, 3:42 am

Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I have left an item behind and the hotel was willing to ship it to me. At first they wanted to charge me a flat rate of 50$ to ship my laptop charger. I countered with the price of USPS flat-rate priority mail and 10$ for their time. They agreed.

Comparing BW to Macys, Apple & Target is just foolish. It's completely different business models and corporate controls. I had a big problem with Apple once at the store level when during a recall repair they dropped & damaged my laptop. They denied it, tried to charge me for the additional repair and then refused to talk to me. One email to corporate and I had a great handler who looked into the situation for me and within 4 days everything was settled, I had an apology & they upgraded my laptop as an effort. Customer service varies at different kinds of businesses & the level of control the company has which BW doesn't have nearly as much.

The hotel should have shipped it to you. On that we agree but I don't think they should send a car to pick you up if you left the item behind. I don't think a Waldorf property would do it and I surely don't think a BW property should either.

You could take this time to complain to BW corporate about the policies, or lack thereof, in place at a corporate level & request compensation in the price of the cab rides.

Wait till you are in the same situation, hopefully you can say the same thing to yourself.

Although, I haven't left anything in Hilton chains, I don't think they will handle this situation in such manner.
Macy's, Apple, Target and a lot of other companies are leading in customer services. I think bw should learn from those companies.
Old Jan 30, 16, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Actually, how much is it going to cost them for the shuttle service? I travel through Ord a lot, if they handle this situation properly, I will be happy to see them again and again. I am not riding the shuttle for a über ride. The shuttle should be a very basic service for hotel around airport, same as asking an extra towel.

The other bw around Ord provides shuttle 24/7 without request.
Old Jan 30, 16, 2:08 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador Spire Elite, HHonors Diamond, Best Western Diamond Select
The shuttle should be a very basic service for hotel around airport, same as asking an extra towel.
The amount of goodwill this hotel could have earned for assisting a guest in retrieving their left behind item has instead earned them a negative opinion of their hotel without setting foot on their property.
The ridiculousness of refusing to send the forgotten watch to the guest and then refusing to send an otherwise free shuttle to a former guest at the airport specifically to retrieve their item is reprehensible.
Running a hotel is more than just having a room available. The hospitality industry thrives on return guests and positive reviews which this hotel seems to be going out of their way to not want.

Last edited by Suite Disposition; Jan 31, 16 at 5:04 am
Old Jan 31, 16, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, how much is it going to cost them for the shuttle service? I travel through Ord a lot, if they handle this situation properly, I will be happy to see them again and again. I am not riding the shuttle for a über ride. The shuttle should be a very basic service for hotel around airport, same as asking an extra towel.
If you're going to be around there again, I suggest you contact the hotel in advance, explain that you want to come to pick up the watch (since they won't mail it to you), but you need to take the shuttle (without a reservation) to get to the hotel (to pick up the watch). The hotel should be able to make a note that "this customer can take the shuttle" despite not having a reservation, that shouldn't cost them anything.

There's a big difference between a hotel shuttle generally not accepting walkup passengers without a reservation and a hotel not allowing for an exception when contacted in advance. But you've only explained having the first experience, not the second one.

Search this Thread