Best Aspirational BW Properties

Old Dec 30, 15, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
Best Aspirational BW Properties

Purchased 150K BW Rewards Points from Daily Getaways...

But have never found a way to use them.

Almost had a possibility--easily booked five nights at the BW Miami "South Beach" this coming Presidents Day weekend.

But the Tripadvisor reviews were so disappointing decided to rather use Wyndham Points at nearby Sherbourne Hotel.

One the few occasions I have found a possible property--reviews are mediocre and regular rates close to what I paid for the required points--so to date no use.

Are there any WOW BW properties (think aspirational, honeymoon) where I can redeem points. On a beach, near national park, or spectacular city--anywhere in the world.

Now that I see dynamic pricing in the works--am really wondering about my sanity having purchased the 150K points

Last edited by travelexpert; Dec 30, 15 at 5:42 am
Old Dec 30, 15, 10:43 am

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
although best westerns arent by no means a luxury brand, the ones ive stayed in are better than your roadside BW motel. San Francisco Tuscan inn located just a block from the fisherman's wharf would be a good choice in a big city. When i stayed, they offered a wine and cheese reception and the rooms are small but nice. They dont offer a free breakfast but they do have a restaurant onsite. Although there are many options around for food.

Best Western Elm house in Napa is one of the best BB with outstanding costumer service and top notch breakfast. If you are looking for a honeymoon then napa is a great choice. You can also take the wine train and have dinner. The price for two its about 250 i think. There is also the Best western premier ivy inn which is bigger and more modern looking but the tripadvisor reviews made me want to go to the Elm house instead. Have not yet stayed at the premier.

The best western airport plaza in San Jose is really nice too. Remodeled rooms, great breakfast and staff. Though San Jose is not know for being a touristy place, its a good location if you want to take trips to Santa Cruz, Half moon bay, and San Francisco all with in an hour's drive
Old Dec 30, 15, 12:51 pm

Programs: A3 *G, IHG Plat Amb., Hilton Diamond, Radisson Gold, Accor Gold
We stayed at a BW outside Salzburg, Austria this past summer and found it to be very nice.

The drive from Munich to Salzburg is about two hours.
Old Dec 30, 15, 1:20 pm

BW Plus Inn of Sedona. Great views, great customer service and a very good breakfast. Also has a reliable shuttle bus to take you downtown Sedona, just 2 miles away
About 2 hour drive to the Grand Canyon.
Also BW Plus Arroyo Roble Hotel (Downtown Sedona) I did not stay at this particular property but the location is excellent.
Old Dec 30, 15, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL GM, Choice DM, Wyndham DM, BW DM
BW Plus Island Palms on Shelter Island in San Diego is pretty nice and in a great location. Harbor side tends to be quieter than bay side, bay side has more action to watch from your balcony.
Old Dec 30, 15, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelexpert View Post
Are there any WOW BW properties (think aspirational, honeymoon) where I can redeem points. On a beach, near national park, or spectacular city--anywhere in the world.
My favorite Best Western is Best Western Bryce Canyon Grand Hotel, one of two Best Westerns (the other being the dumpy Ruby's Inn) right outside Bryce Canyon National Park. It has a giant breakfast buffet (look at the picture at the hotel site I linked to get an inkling of its size) which rivals many better full-service hotels, yet it's free to all guests.

Right now during the winter, when rates are below $100 a night (before any discounts like AAA), it's probably not worth redeeming 16000 points per night for it, but during the summer when most people come to Bryce it can be a good redemption value.

But while the hotel is pretty new (built less than a decade ago, I think), and the breakfast is "WOW", I don't know if you'd call the hotel overall "WOW" or not. (I'd call Bryce Canyon National Park itself "WOW", though, and there's no other chain hotels within at least 45 minutes of there. The next closest place with chain hotels is Cedar City by the I-15. Btw, also pretty "WOW' IMHO is Kodachrome Basin State Park, which is a dozenish miles east of this hotel.)

Given that Best Western points "never" expire, I'd suggest you don't try too hard to use up all the points on one location. You may be able to get two or more trips out of 150k points.

Last edited by sdsearch; Dec 30, 15 at 7:21 pm
Old Dec 31, 15, 10:11 am

Programs: UA Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat. Elite
I wouldn't necessarily recommend Helsinki for a honeymoon but I would definitely recommend the Best Western Katajanokka. It's in an old converted prison near the harbour. Awesome architectural renovation.
Old Jan 14, 16, 11:08 am

The Hotel Rebstock in Wurzburg, DE was a phenomenal value for points. Beautiful nook-and-cranny rooms, good location, great views of castle and church from my room, welcome gifts and drink, excellent buffet breakfast, and best of all - slippers with your name hand painted in glitter glue on them! (May sound awful, but weren't, they were a truly personal touch that I have not seen in any hotel before!)

Don't know how much of a difference it made that I was a Diamond member, but I was sorely disappointed that I could not stay longer!

If in the area, definitely don't miss this one.
Old Jan 17, 16, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by nomadic.relief View Post
The Hotel Rebstock in Wurzburg, DE was a phenomenal value for points. Beautiful nook-and-cranny rooms, good location, great views of castle and church from my room, welcome gifts and drink, excellent buffet breakfast, and best of all - slippers with your name hand painted in glitter glue on them! (May sound awful, but weren't, they were a truly personal touch that I have not seen in any hotel before!)

Don't know how much of a difference it made that I was a Diamond member, but I was sorely disappointed that I could not stay longer!

If in the area, definitely don't miss this one.
+1000,,,, Love that hotel.
I lived in Wurzburg back in 1968/69 while I was in the Military Police. The Rebstock at that time was just the front wall around the doorway propped up by wooden beams. It had yet to be rebuilt after WW2 as the city was firebombed just like Dresden and was almost completely destroyed as only 3 buildings in the city survived. The Rebstock was one of the last buildings to be rebuilt at around 1974. The doorway area is original with the rest of the outside being rebuilt exactly like it was prior to 1945. When I revisited Wurzburg in 1981, I hopped inside a taxi outside the train station and asked him to take me to the finest hotel in town. He took me to the Rebstock. www.rebstock.com

Search this Thread