Search

Travel Card use questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by htb
I have a followup question.

I had intended to use my Travel Card but forgot to bring it along. I do know the card number, however.

Did anyone ever try to use a Travel Card without the physical card present?

HTB.
Never have a physical card, all you need is the number and you are good to go!

Tried this in 2 hotels in the US.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 7:36 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nacho
Never have a physical card, all you need is the number and you are good to go!

Tried this in 2 hotels in the US.
Thanks for the info. I'll try next time. This time I have already changed my arrangements and used vouchers for a different hotel. Not having the physical card AND having to explain in an US hotel that they would have to convert to EUR seemed a bit risky...

HTB.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:51 am

Originally Posted by htb
Thanks for the info. I'll try next time. This time I have already changed my arrangements and used vouchers for a different hotel. Not having the physical card AND having to explain in an US hotel that they would have to convert to EUR seemed a bit risky... HTB.
I don't understand your concern. As I said before I don't have the physical cards at all and certainly expect to use these in the future. How is this virtual cards different from the airline tickets?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 6:47 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I don't understand your concern. As I said before I don't have the physical cards at all and certainly expect to use these in the future. How is this virtual cards different from the airline tickets?
You said you don't have the physical cards and that you wanted to know how it went, supposedly because you never tried. I don't understand why that should make me feel reassured, especially in combination with the issue of currency conversion.

I have used my card only once and it was a major hassle as the hotel claimed it wouldn't be able to provide me with an invoice for my company, but only an invoice with "Best Western" as the addressee. I don't have much confidence in these travel cards.

HTB.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by htb
You said you don't have the physical cards and that you wanted to know how it went, supposedly because you never tried. I don't understand why that should make me feel reassured, especially in combination with the issue of currency conversion.

I have used my card only once and it was a major hassle as the hotel claimed it wouldn't be able to provide me with an invoice for my company, but only an invoice with "Best Western" as the addressee. I don't have much confidence in these travel cards. HTB.
Fair enough. Don't use the credit this time. How can you be assured and what difference does it make arguing about it. Either they will take it or not. I have no choice but to have confidence as I was given no choice in the format of these cards. I called BW and was assured that these would work. I have not seen anyone else saying there is a problem other than you. What are you asking then. You want someone to get your cards to the hotel? Why not call the hotel and find out how this will work and go from there and do please tell us the answer as I may need to use these next week.

Edit: Used up all the paperless certificates mid July at Washington DC. No issues. No conversion was required.

Last edited by 1Newflyer; Aug 6, 2016 at 10:52 am
Old Jul 9, 2016, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by htb
Thanks for the info. I'll try next time. This time I have already changed my arrangements and used vouchers for a different hotel. Not having the physical card AND having to explain in an US hotel that they would have to convert to EUR seemed a bit risky...

HTB.
So your card is not a card in USD? I got mine through BW BRG for a US hotel and I used it in a US hotel (I can imagine a big drama using them in Europe - like when I was using Marriott Gift Cards).
Old Nov 23, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
By 2018, is there any uniform procedure to use Travel cards with prepaid reservations aside from asking the hotel to make a refund at check-in?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by barracuda93
By 2018, is there any uniform procedure to use Travel cards with prepaid reservations aside from asking the hotel to make a refund at check-in?
Officially (per the T&Cs) travel cards are not valid on prepaid reservations. So don't expect a "uniform" procedure. I don't know, for example, if they would work for incidentals, but at BWs without a restaurant gathering up enough incidentals (on things you actually want) might be tricky.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Officially (per the T&Cs) travel cards are not valid on prepaid reservations. So don't expect a "uniform" procedure. I don't know, for example, if they would work for incidentals, but at BWs without a restaurant gathering up enough incidentals (on things you actually want) might be tricky.
I won't have any incidentals. Just wanna use them to pay for accommodation.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
Originally Posted by barracuda93
I won't have any incidentals. Just wanna use them to pay for accommodation.
i dont think there's a uniform procedure. If its a prepaid or advance purchase reservation done through the best western website then yes it could be refunded but may require a manager to process a refund at the property. A 3rd party prepaid i dont think it be possible due to the fact that the 3rd party is the one charging your card in the 1st place.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by jm1991
i dont think there's a uniform procedure. If its a prepaid or advance purchase reservation done through the best western website then yes it could be refunded but may require a manager to process a refund at the property. A 3rd party prepaid i dont think it be possible due to the fact that the 3rd party is the one charging your card in the 1st place.
Oh yeah, of course I meant bookings made via BW system and not OTA.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
Also I've been to bws where a night deposit is charged up front but when I presented the travel cards they said it be no problem and had it refunded.
barracuda93 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.