FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Best Western | Best Western Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/best-western-best-western-rewards-416/)
-   -   Transfer points to Best Western - Best option? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/best-western-best-western-rewards/1696527-transfer-points-best-western-best-option.html)

soap_bubbles Jul 21, 2015 10:42 am

Transfer points to Best Western - Best option?

I need 20k points for 1 night stay and I am considering what is the best way to transfer points to Best Western?
I have many airline miles and hotel points. Plus I do have citi TY points, Amex membership rewards points as well.
Best Western 70K credit card sounds great, but I will keep that as my last option.
Which mile/points has a great transfer value?

sdsearch Jul 21, 2015 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by soap_bubbles (Post 25150343)
I need 20k points for 1 night stay and I am considering what is the best way to transfer points to Best Western?
I have many airline miles and hotel points. Plus I do have citi TY points, Amex membership rewards points as well.
Best Western 70K credit card sounds great, but I will keep that as my last option.

The best transfer value to Best Western is from Diners Club Club Rewards. But if you don't already have one of those, you can't get it right now (they're haven't been taking applications for many months).

I can think of no other programs besides Diners Club Club Rewards and Amex Membership Rewards which transfer to Best Western. No hotel programs transfer to any other hotel programs. And very few airlines transfer to any hotel programs any more (mostly to Hilton Honors, not other hotel programs). So I severely doubt there's any airline in the world that transfers to Best Western. And the only hotel partner of Citi's TY points is Hilton HHonors.

(And, btw, Best Western has never been one of Amtrak's transfer partners either.)

So unfortunately, from what you listed, Amex MR seems to be your only transfer option (so no "best" or "worst").

Amex MR transfer to BW 1:1: http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...sTransfer.aspx

So you would need 20k MR points for 20k BW points.

Of course, given all the devaluations at Delta, what else you gonna use Amex MR points for? :)

soap_bubbles Jul 23, 2015 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 25151972)
The best transfer value to Best Western is from Diners Club Club Rewards. But if you don't already have one of those, you can't get it right now (they're haven't been taking applications for many months).

I can think of no other programs besides Diners Club Club Rewards and Amex Membership Rewards which transfer to Best Western. No hotel programs transfer to any other hotel programs. And very few airlines transfer to any hotel programs any more (mostly to Hilton Honors, not other hotel programs). So I severely doubt there's any airline in the world that transfers to Best Western. And the only hotel partner of Citi's TY points is Hilton HHonors.

(And, btw, Best Western has never been one of Amtrak's transfer partners either.)

So unfortunately, from what you listed, Amex MR seems to be your only transfer option (so no "best" or "worst").

Amex MR transfer to BW 1:1: http://www.membershiprewards.com/cat...sTransfer.aspx

So you would need 20k MR points for 20k BW points.

Of course, given all the devaluations at Delta, what else you gonna use Amex MR points for? :)

Thanks.
1:1 on MR is not a great deal.
I can get $200 of dining GC with 20,000 MR points.
BW hotel I am looking at is around $165 value. So I'd spend my Amex MR on BW transfer.

sdsearch Jul 24, 2015 6:30 am

Originally Posted by soap_bubbles (Post 25162799)
Thanks.
1:1 on MR is not a great deal.
I can get $200 of dining GC with 20,000 MR points.
BW hotel I am looking at is around $165 value. So I'd spend my Amex MR on BW transfer.

Yes, 1:1 MR:BW is not a great deal. Since I do have a Diners Club card, where it's 1250:3300 (1:2.64), that would be a far better deal (assuming you earn your points through spend, not signup bonuses). In fact, the Diners Club card earns BW points faster on non-BW spend faster than any other card, including BW's own credit cards! But like I said, you couldn't even apply for a Diners Club card today if you wanted to, their application windows are few and far between :eek:! And even when they had applications, Diners Club didn't have any signup bonuses in recent times.

GUWonder Jul 26, 2015 8:58 am

Originally Posted by soap_bubbles (Post 25150343)

It was the lack of any acceptable transfer options into BW that had me buy a huge number of BW point packages earlier this year when no one else seemed to want to buy them for many days. It was one of my best bunch of DailyGetaway/USTA purchases, and I've since I've used them for booking up suites in a rather expensive European country. I'll buy a bunch more when such opportunity next presents itself, since the transfer values were just poor for me.

soap_bubbles Jul 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by GUWonder (Post 25174603)
It was the lack of any acceptable transfer options into BW that had me buy a huge number of BW point packages earlier this year when no one else seemed to want to buy them for many days. It was one of my best bunch of DailyGetaway/USTA purchases, and I've since I've used them for booking up suites in a rather expensive European country. I'll buy a bunch more when such opportunity next presents itself, since the transfer values were just poor for me.

Can you provide more insight to DailyGetaway/USTA purchases?
Can you provide me a link for me to understand further and not miss this opportunity? Yes Suites go for the same # of points in Europe and I don't mind doing the same.

eajusa Aug 4, 2015 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by soap_bubbles (Post 25177580)
Can you provide more insight to DailyGetaway/USTA purchases?
Can you provide me a link for me to understand further and not miss this opportunity? Yes Suites go for the same # of points in Europe and I don't mind doing the same.

Daily Getaway is a once a year program where for about three or four weeks, special points purchases are made available. This year the sale was in March and early April I think. Stay tuned to the forums for when Daily Getaway returns in 2016. I bought 50K BWR points for a half cent each, well worth it.

GUWonder Aug 5, 2015 4:19 am

http://dealswelike.boardingarea.com/...at-a-discount/

eajusa Sep 7, 2015 9:53 am

American Express MR Transfer Ending

Received word in my AMEX statement that after December 31, 2015 you will no longer be able to transfer MR points to Best Western.

TMM1982 Sep 22, 2015 7:07 am

Transferring MR to BW would be a horrendous value. You'd be better off just booking directly on AMEX Travel with your points. Much better value that way.

Brendan Sep 22, 2015 6:39 pm

I agree that transferring Amex to BW @ 1:1 is a horrible value! I find a BW point to be worth half a US cent, so DC's ratio is OK.
BTW, last I checked, any BW member can transfer any number of points into any other member's account by filling out & signing a form, then faxing it to BW. NO FEE :) & NO need to tie it to a specific reservation, as Marriott requires & Hyatt used to require.