Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Best Western | Best Western Rewards
Reload this Page >

new [US] credit card partner for BWR coming in Spring 2015?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In the Best Western "Inside Look" in the February issue of Inside Flyer magazine, it says:

"Best Western Rewards will be introducing a new credit card partner for U.S. residents in the Spring of 2015."

I don't know any details beyond that.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:42 am

I noticed that too. Best Western seems like a great value for budget stays for me, so I was trying to apply for the card a couple weeks ago and saw that message. I was hoping it would be back soon, but going to the website now I don't even see any reference to it; there's just an offer for Canadian residents. Does anyone have more info on what is going on between Best Western and Barclay and whether there will be a US card option any time soon?

Last edited by qLir; Feb 12, 2015 at 9:48 am
Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Ever since I parked at the Best Western outside the Grand Canyon and entered the lobby to buy my park pass, I have been waiting for a new US issued card. The hotel is awesome and I've since learned that BW has several nice properties.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 4:25 pm

I sent them a message right around the same time as I posted last. They replied, saying the website was having issues, then gave me the details of their card offer. Yet, I still am not seeing it available. I guess the reps are just as in the dark as we are.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:55 pm

New card issuer is FNBO, details will be released soon. Not sure what will happen to existing Barclaycard holders.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold (1st choice) BW Diamond (2nd)
i think its some chinese card UnionPay
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by jm1991
i think its some chinese card UnionPay
What are you talking about? First National Bank of Omaha? Barclays? Best Western?
Old Apr 5, 2015, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doctor of Credit
New card issuer is FNBO, details will be released soon. Not sure what will happen to existing Barclaycard holders.
Interesting. FNBO issues Amex, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa cards. So which of those will the new Best Western card be?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 9:34 pm

FNBO has finally launched the new best western credit cards: https://www.firstbankcard.com/bestwe...rds/index.html

Most interesting is the premium which comes with up to 70,000 points after a total of $10k spend and annual fee of $59 waived first year.

My analysis can be found here.

This post contains a link to my own website, I've included all of the relevant information as per flyertalk rules.

It's a mastercard for those wondering.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thanks for keeping tab on this, doc. For me, the high spend is not worth it. The hotel I'm interested in costs 36k or $250 all in, so to me 70k is worth about 30k Hyatt or 60k Marriott, and those only require $1k spend. I can get $500 cash by putting the same $10k on WF.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:07 pm

I did the math for myself. Keep in mind I am not a heavy Best Western user. Where I want to stay a point covers about .7142 cents. So the 50K sign up bonus is worth about $357 - the $59 AF starting year two. So I would have to spend 5K for $298 in benefits. That is just short of 6%, better than most cashback cards right now. So I might apply when I actually get close to wanting to book this stay, which isn't until next year. Understand that I am not factoring in the 20K point bonus for spending 10K annually on the card. I have no intention of spending 10K a year on this card just for Best Western points, when I need other miles and points so much more often.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 5:05 pm

After more thought, I realize I shouldn't apply for this card. If I could spend 5K in 6 months on everyday bills, it might make sense. My only monthly bills are two utility bills (3 in Winter), food, gas, and rent. The rent must be paid by check. I already save 6% on groceries with Amex Blue Cash Preferred. That leaves the $300/month for utilities; $1800 in 6 months. I would have to spend an extra $3200 on the card just to get the 50K points.

Why spend that amount when I just bought 50K Best Western Rewards points from Daily Getaways for $275? I want the points for a 4 night stay in West Yellowstone which goes for 28K points a night during the Summer months. There are cheaper ways to get the 62K points I still need, and I'm not going to Yellowstone until July 2016. I have plenty of time.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:36 pm

One option that you may want to consider is getting a card that transfers to Best Western. Diner's Club isn't taking apps right now. However, Amex just gave me an offer of 50K MR points for 1K spend with their PRG card. Never had the card, so I applied and was approved. The MR points transfer to Best Western at a 1:1 ratio.
Old May 1, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by eajusa
One option that you may want to consider is getting a card that transfers to Best Western. Diner's Club isn't taking apps right now. However, Amex just gave me an offer of 50K MR points for 1K spend with their PRG card. Never had the card, so I applied and was approved. The MR points transfer to Best Western at a 1:1 ratio.
Many including myself would not go that route. 50K airlines miles are almost always greater than 50K hotel points.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Many including myself would not go that route. 50K airlines miles are almost always greater than 50K hotel points.
Understood. I don't need airline miles. If I did, I would choose miles over hotel points too. In addition, this thread is about earning points for Best Western. It is far better to receive 50,000 points from 1k spend than the 5k required by FNBO. That is what I am comparing. This thread is not about using a credit card to earn airline miles.

Last edited by eajusa; May 3, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.