Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Room Rates and exchange rates in Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Room Rates and exchange rates in Istanbul

With the Turkish Lira dropping, I was hoping to book rooms in Istanbul, in Turkish currency. But, I can only seem to confirm the rooms in Euros.

Other than hoping for the Euro to drop in value, is there any way to benefit from the falling Turkish Lira? Can I confirm the room rate in Turkish Lira? My trip is in March.

Thanks.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Did you try the local hotel website?
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Did you try the local hotel website?
Yes, I tried.

The final step of the hotel website's booking page states: "TL amount is for information. € amount is valid for payment."

Old Jan 24, 2014, 5:57 am

Try using a proxy that that makes your IP address look like you're in Turkey (if such a thing is available) when you make the booking. Surely they won't charge someone from Turkey in euros!?!
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by honu
Try using a proxy that that makes your IP address look like you're in Turkey (if such a thing is available) when you make the booking. Surely they won't charge someone from Turkey in euros!?!
Thanks, but that is way above my pay grade.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 10:00 am

Just tagging onto your thread - I'm currently in Istanbul (was at Grand Hyatt, now at Levni hotel) and I advise you to change money when you get here. I got Turkish lira for euros at Athens airport and their spread was ridiculous - buy / sell was 2.75 and 3.25 to one euro + €6 commission. The rate at the airport in Istanbul was 2.90 buy or sell with no commission and on the street here I've seen buy / sell at 3.041 / 3.046 and also most merchants are happy to accept dollars or euros at a decent exchange rate.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 8:34 am
Original Poster

THANK YOU asandrs !
Old Mar 7, 2014, 7:37 am

For whoever is interested... Just came back from and exchange money on Ordu Cadessi at 3.05 - 3.02 Liras/Euro. The Lira had tremendous fluctuations, from 2.3 to more than 3 in just 4 days! The worst exchange I found it in Taksim and at the airport, of course
The report to be complete: usually I stay in Taksim, now I found a great price on www.guestus.com for BW Amber in Sultanahmet and stayed there. Loved it, is close to the fish market and my husband loves fish. The hills up and down are a problem, but manageable!
And we got great weather, even sunny and just a bit or rain!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.