Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Avis | Preferred and Budget | Fastbreak
Reload this Page >

(Threads Merged) Avis Budget Group buys Zipcar for $500m-WSJ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:28 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold

AVIS is getting into the hourly rental business.
Looks like Zipcar will be AVIS's way of directly competing with Hertz on Demand.
According to Reuters, the deal is for $500m in cash and AVIS expects the deal to close in Q1 of this year.

Last edited by UAPremExecflyer; Jan 2, 2013 at 4:33 am Reason: Added cash and closing details
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

$50MM in synergies means lots of layoffs @ Zipcar. Happy New Year.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 7:09 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Boy, that was quick. I mean ZipCar getting in and out. Would have thought they'd wait to grow value even more. As a city dweller who gave up my local car due to frequent air travel, I've used it a lot in Boston. Looking forward to using it in Seattle, where there are dozens, on next trip. I wonder if it will expand or contract the available hourly cars/locations. I generally sense it will be a good thing.

Enterprise is also getting into the hourly/neighborhood model. Only a couple of cities, so far. Their pricing undercuts ZipCar. Recently offered a Groupon joining deal. (I have no connection with Enterprise or Groupon except as customer.)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 8:00 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

One of many links about the deal so you don't need to search.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:44 pm
Suspended

Lawsuits are being filed that allege that the price undervalues Zipcar. Not sure anyone knows how to properly value a car sharing service at this point.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:46 pm

Awesome, will I be able to get a CHM upgrade with Zipcar?
Old Jan 2, 2013, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Remember, Avis didn't actually buy ZipCar, the Avis Budget Group did.

So one possiblity is that whatever they do with it will only be available through Budget and not through Avis!

Don't confuse Avis Budget Group with Avis itself and think that anything that Avis Budget Group does will necessarily apply to Avis itself. It's an umbrella company, and it's just put one more thing under the umbrella. (Especially as long as they continue to operate Avis and Budget mostly separately, only consolidating certain things like check-in at smaller airports.)

(There are, for example, sometimes promos that a particular partner has with Budget with no matching promo for Avis, or vice versa, even though some other times the exact same promo is available for both Avis and Budget.)
Old Jan 2, 2013, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, SW CP, Hertz President's Circle
Thumbs up

Good timing...I just canceled my ZipCar membership.
Old Jan 2, 2013, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oldgoldflyer
Lawsuits are being filed that allege that the price undervalues Zipcar. Not sure anyone knows how to properly value a car sharing service at this point.
Lawsuits are always filled when a deal like this goes through. People just can't understand that majority shareholders hold the power. If the board votes for a sale then that is that. How does a 50% premium on the current price undervalue Zipcar? The brand is the only thing the company has. The entire business model without the existence of a larger rental car network like Avis is absolutely un sustainable in the long run especially with services like Getaround.com taking a bite out of the pie.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sometimes the drivel isn't worthy of an erudite rebuttal. Now I simply send the author here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_Zone
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Email received from "info" yesterday

big news from zipcar

Dear Firewind,

Zipcar is ringing in the year with a bang! We're thrilled to announce that we've entered into an agreement to be acquired by Avis Budget Group.

We'll skip the legal mumbo-jumbo and get right to the point, since we assume that what you really want to know is what this means for you.

Simply put, this is a major win for Zipsters around the world. With the global footprint, backing, and talented leadership of Avis, we're going to step on the gas. We believe that you'll see more Zipcars in more locations (especially during times of peak demand!); that you'll see new service offerings that make Zipcar more flexible and fun for you; and that you'll continue to experience the most advanced and sophisticated technology to keep you zipping along your merry way.

Some things won't change at all -- from the Zipcar team in your local office to the great brand, to our relentless enthusiasm for making the user experience the best it can be.

You can read more about the news in the press release but we wanted to tell you personally (ok, it's an email, but close enough) and let you know how excited we are to make a good thing even better!

Scott Griffith
Chairman and CEO
"press release" was a link to:

http://zipcar.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43

Rather than giving the exact press release here, I'll leave it at this listing, as there are likely to be more. It's also a very long press release.

Last edited by Firewind; Jan 3, 2013 at 7:02 am
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

CEO skips the "legal mumbo-jumbo" in his missive to the unwashed masses. Bet he won't skip the "legal mumbo-jumbo" when negotiating his golden parachute.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 9:31 am

Itll be nice if they start offering Avis points for rentals considering ive spent over $1000 over the last 18 months.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 1:25 pm

Right now being discussed on Boston NPR station WBUR's "Radio Boston" talk show. For those accessing it on the web later, it starts at the show's :20 point. They gave it 21 minutes.

http://www.radioboston.org

They have the founder, Robin Chase, on the panel. Though she's already completely out of it, she's all for the sale.

I pondered @3 above about why they sold now, instead of waiting for the value to go up. Someone just said that it was actually valued at a billion a year ago.

Last edited by Firewind; Jan 3, 2013 at 1:51 pm
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:19 pm
Suspended

The value wasn't going up, it was going down. Zipcar never made money, as it appears that their cars mainly sat idle during the week at expensive inner city garages, waiting for zipsters to use them on the weekends.

Originally Posted by Firewind
Right now being discussed on Boston NPR station WBUR's "Radio Boston" talk show. For those accessing it on the web later, it starts at the show's :20 point. They gave it 21 minutes.

http://www.radioboston.org

They have the founder, Robin Chase, on the panel. Though she's already completely out of it, she's all for the sale.

I pondered @3 above about why they sold now, instead of waiting for the value to go up. Someone just said that it was actually valued at a billion a year ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.